Christian atheists

Two hot topics for the price of one

Moderator: Moderators

bluethread
Savant

Christian atheists

Post #1

Post by bluethread »

It has come to my attention that there are atheists who support theistic institutions, because they believe that theism, particularly Judaism and Christianity, have been integral to the development and maintenance of some of the positive aspects of modern culture. Do you find this approach to be reasonable, practical, or consistent?

dianaiad
Site Supporter

Re: Christian atheists

Post #11

Post by dianaiad »

Metadian wrote: [Replying to post 9 by dianaiad]
Ha I bet... explaining to someone else is the best way to learn :D

By the way, you've been here since 2010, and I've just remade an account, but I was here around 2011-14. I vaguely remember arguing about gay weddings with you, and the "Christians for evolution" tag has called my attention. I was "Ragna", I haven't stumbled upon anyone I knew back then yet, but your name rings a bell... do you remember me, by any chance?
(grin)

Not really, but I'll take your word that you know who I am. Certainly the topics sound familiar. Don't quite remember what 'side' I was taking with 'gay weddings,' however.

I am, after all, ambivalent about those. ;)

SkyChief
Apprentice

Post #12

Post by SkyChief »

Christian atheist

That's like a married bachelor.

All Christians believe that Jesus was the son of (a) God.

All atheists do not believe in any god.

Therefore, it is not possible for an atheist to be Christian.

DPMartin
Banned
Banned

Re: Christian atheists

Post #13

Post by DPMartin »

bluethread wrote: It has come to my attention that there are atheists who support theistic institutions, because they believe that theism, particularly Judaism and Christianity, have been integral to the development and maintenance of some of the positive aspects of modern culture. Do you find this approach to be reasonable, practical, or consistent?
na, until they find an approach to things more befitting their beliefs or until they have the power and authority or influence to change it, they can't change things to their views and pleasures.

but it has been in the churches for some time now, not all but enough to make the difference. the same influences are in the rest of the churches but they don't have the authority and or influences yet to change it.

Christianity for the gentile has run its course, it seems, and the Lord's attentions are toward Israel.

TSGracchus
Scholar

Post #14

Post by TSGracchus »

Religion may indeed have been an integral or even a necessary component in the development of the modern culture, but that does not mean that it shouldn't be discarded now. We needed a placenta once, but it would be pretty silly to carry it around with us and pretend that it was still important to our well being.

:roll: