Did Michele Wolf cross a line at the WHCD?

Two hot topics for the price of one

Moderator: Moderators

2Dbunk
Site Supporter

Did Michele Wolf cross a line at the WHCD?

Post #1

Post by 2Dbunk »

Did comedian Michele Wolf's no-holds-barred delivery cross some line of decency at the White House Correspondent's Dinner last night? Could it be compared to Donald Trump's "locker room" talk that was caught on an open mike?

Recently I was upbraided by moderator Elijah John for using the term "brain-dead" -- and rightfully so! My wife reminded me that there are afflictions in the world that should not be made fun of, and I respect her and EJ's criticism.

Michele Wolf did not make fun of anyone who couldn't fight back, including the printed press (which she termed an endangered species). But she was raunchy, used the "F" word twice (note that her performance was after 10:00 PM -- well past the bedtime of most Republicans), and the majority party's countenances in the room were anything but Smiling . She hit on Democrats too -- and famous over-weight women. The House Speaker was literally emasculated. Two people who were not touched with her acid humor: Robert Mueller and the president's wife.

There's no doubt that the bar of "decent" speech has been lowered by Trump's insensitive rhetoric, but is even this supposed breach a violation of the First Amendment? Keep in mind what Thomas Jefferson once said: " . . . as long as it neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg . . " What people carped about him made little difference.

Even Trump's recent series of oratorical outbursts (along with Kim Jong-un's) threatening imminent annihilation has maybe melted tensions around the world with present day more metered discourse. In other words, even coarse dialogue doesn't kill people. How many conflict-related deaths are associated with "indecent" talk? Trash talk, obscene language, insults -- none of these have taken lives, certainly not in the volumes killed in wars and mass murders.

Question for debate: has the Press gone too far in its "obsessive" pursuit of Donald Trump's policies and behavior? and should comedians like Michele Wolf be banned at future White House Roasts?

TSGracchus
Scholar

Post #11

Post by TSGracchus »

I guess it all depends on which snowflakes are taking the heat. If you replace four letter words with four syllable words you can say the same things and sound much more diplomatic. You will lose half your audience, because most people won't have the vocabulary to understand you.
But of course it is usually good to keep in mind the Turkish proverb: "If you are going to tell the truth, keep one foot in the stirrup."

:study:

Tcg
Savant

Re: Did Michele Wolf cross a line at the WHCD?

Post #12

Post by Tcg »

Wootah wrote: [Replying to post 9 by Tcg]

Let's not change topic. More people would have moved closer to a R position after her talk. So in that sense Rs would be grateful to her.
Given that you didn't specify, I'm not sure if the Rs you mention here refer to Russians or Republicans. In either case, I can certainly see why all those supporting the current administration would be thrilled to find any excuse to focus on anything other than the actions of the current administration.

If they think the U.S. public is dumb enough to focus on jokes rather than actual issues, I'm sure they'll both cherish the jokes told by Michele Wolf.

DPMartin
Banned
Banned

Re: Did Michele Wolf cross a line at the WHCD?

Post #13

Post by DPMartin »

[Replying to post 1 by 2Dbunk]

what line? that's an imaginary line, that only the offended draw. offend enough people you will be isolated and out of a job, offend the right people that have been asking for it, and many agree, you might become president of the United States.

so who's the one who knows what he's doing?