Modern Environmental movment

Two hot topics for the price of one

Moderator: Moderators

EarthScienceguy
Guru

Modern Environmental movment

Post #1

Post by EarthScienceguy »

For the past 30 years there has been a building a growing chorus of voices which seems to have reached a crescendo in the last 10 years of people screaming about the climbing rate of CO2 in our atmosphere and how this is causing the atmosphere to warm at an alarming rate. And yet CO2 is at one of its lowest points over the past 600 million years.

The alarm has gone off about melting polar ice caps and yet for most of the past 600 million years the Earth has been without polar ice caps.

The alarm has gone off about extreme weather being caused by "climate change" and yet extreme weather is caused by large differences in temperature differences. And there is evidence that when the earth was warmer the north and south poles had similar temperatures to the equator.

Life has flourished in the last 600 million years. In fact more than 90% of all life that has lived on this planet lived when the Earth was much warmer than it is today.

This facts can be known by anyone. In and are not in dispute, when Bill Nye (I am using Bill Nye as an example not because he is any type of great scientist) is pressed on these facts he does not dispute them he expresses that the rate of increase is the concerned.

With all these facts that are contrary to the climate change narrative, is there another reason why this climate change narrative is being put forward?

A major point that is raised as a cause to the raising the CO2 concentration is the population increase of the world. Bill Nye raised this point a few years ago putting forward the thought that couples should have to register to have children.

And yet the entire population of the world could fit into the the state of Florida and each one could have 200 square feet apiece.

Karl Marx
You must, therefore, confess that by "individual" you mean no other person than the bourgeois, than the middle-class owner of property. This person must indeed, be swept out of the way, and made impossible. (Published by Progress Publishers, Moscow, 1973 edition, page 66)]

bluethread
Savant

Post #31

Post by bluethread »

EarthScienceguy wrote: [Replying to bluethread]

I would tend to agree with you about the urbanization, because it has been shown that urban areas drive the temperature higher in and around their centers.

Piers Corbyn has successfully used sunspot activity to predict weather far in the future. Others have shown how sunspot activity drives the increase in CO2 levels.
My primary point is the urbanization is contrary to nature. Nature generally creates cycles. That, IMO, is behind the belief that we are living on a closed system, but I digress. Urban environments do not have natural cycles, but expend large amounts of resources to counter natural cycles. This is not sustainable. Sure, it has increased over the last few hundred years, but that a rather short time period when one is talking about the global environment.

Civilization has seen the great growth in the last few centuries, due primarily to the creation of artificial "cycles". The problem with these "cycles' is that they are not closed cycles. Therefore, they are not really cycles at all. Though many focus on an increasing artificial future, this view runs into the serious problem of byproducts. I think that the real cutting edge is not increasing labor saving devices, but in finding ways to integrate increased human activity into the natural cycles of our planet.

Donray
Guru

Post #32

Post by Donray »

[Replying to post 30 by 2ndRateMind]

Bottom line is that you don't belive in the creation myth in the bible and that god did not do another special to create man. Man is no different then an animal except one had better mutations.

So, what do you belive your god did do?

EarthScienceguy
Guru

Re: Modern Environmental movment

Post #33

[Replying to post 27 by Tired of the Nonsense]
And yet CO2 is at one of its lowest points over the past 600 million years
Ok try again, I did not say thousand of years I said millions of years. Little more research please.

2ndRateMind
Site Supporter

Post #34

Post by 2ndRateMind »

Donray wrote:

Bottom line is that you don't belive in the creation myth in the bible...
Yup.
Donray wrote:So, what do you belive your god did do?
Let's not derail the thread by chasing tangents. If you really want to discuss this, start another one.

Best wishes, 2RM.

Tired of the Nonsense
Site Supporter

Post #35

Post by Tired of the Nonsense »

2ndRateMind wrote: [Replying to post 27 by Tired of the Nonsense]

Hmmm. While I welcome your intervention, I think you should be aware that not all Christians reject Darwin's theories, and the subsequent weight of evidence accumulated in support of them. I find my faith entirely consistent with the pursuit of scientific truth, since all truth is God's Truth, and indicative of His nature. Indeed, I find a God who patiently took eons to construct the world we have and bring His vision about far more awesome than a God who merely snapped His fingers in 4004 BC and made everything exist by magic fiat, including the fossil record to deceive us.

Best wishes, 2RM.
There are approximately 2 billion Christians in the world and more than 40,000 different denominations. Getting all Christians to uniformly do or believe anything would in itself be a miracle comparable to herding cats.

Image "The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this." -- Albert Einstein -- Written in 1954 to Jewish philosopher Erik Gutkind.

Tired of the Nonsense
Site Supporter

Post #36

Post by Tired of the Nonsense »

EarthScienceguy wrote: [Replying to post 27 by Tired of the Nonsense]
And yet CO2 is at one of its lowest points over the past 600 million years
Ok try again, I did not say thousand of years I said millions of years. Little more research please.
Where exactly was the testing station located millions of years ago?
Image "The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this." -- Albert Einstein -- Written in 1954 to Jewish philosopher Erik Gutkind.

EarthScienceguy
Guru

Post #37

Donray
Guru

Post #38

Post by Donray »

2ndRateMind wrote:
Indeed, I find a God who patiently took eons to construct the world we have and bring His vision about far more awesome than a God who merely snapped His fingers in 4004 BC and made everything exist by magic fiat, including the fossil record to deceive us.

Best wishes, 2RM.
You belive in evolution but still think your god fakes records. I don't belive you think that god did not create man but evolved from fish and still belive like a lot of (the world is 6000 years old) Christians that god faked things like fossils and radioactive dating.

Somehow your beliefs are a mess.

Donray
Guru

Post #39

Post by Donray »

EarthScienceguy wrote:
And yet CO2 is at one of its lowest points over the past 600 million years.
https://www.co2.earth/co2-past-present-future-article

Where are you getting your fake science?

Could you post something that supports your fake news that that CO2 is the lowest it has been in the past 600 million years?

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #40

Post by Bust Nak »

[Replying to post 39 by Donray]

Not quite fake science, just misleading. CO2 level is the highest it's been for the past million years, but going back much further into the time of the dinosaurs and earlier, CO2 level were indeed higher, with a corresponding higher global temperature.