Pence and Paul

Two hot topics for the price of one

Moderator: Moderators

bluethread
Savant

Pence and Paul

Post #1

Post by bluethread »

The left has mocked Pence for refusing to be alone with any woman other than his wife and Paul has also been mocked for stating, (1 Cor. 7:1b) KJV "it is good for a man not to touch("'aptesthai) a woman". "'aptesthai is to touch provocatively. Given the Ford/Kavanaugh hearing and the frenzy surrounding it, isn't this sage advice?

Bust Nak
Savant

Re: Pence and Paul

Post #11

Post by Bust Nak »

bluethread wrote: I said nothing about a monolithic left. I was speaking in a colloquial fashion. Of course there are gradations among those on the left. Nor did I say anything about someone being lured, even though that is a possibility. My concern would be of someone with an agenda years later using the fact that I had lunch with a woman would imply that I touched her provocatively and that indicated that we were having an affair. I don't think that sounds any more far fetched than a daisy chain connection of beer drinking to blacking out to molesting a woman while blacked out.
But you don' fear the same thing from the right? Is that because the right wouldn't do that regardless, or because your agenda aligns and hence you would not be a target?

DeMotts
Scholar

Post #12

Post by DeMotts »

[Replying to post 10 by bluethread]

2 questions bluethread.

Should every man take the precaution of never being alone with a woman?

If your spouse or daughter came to you and said she had been assaulted in the past by someone about to ascend to a powerful position, and she didn't have corroborating evidence but you genuinely believed her, what counsel would you give her?

bluethread
Savant

Post #13

Post by bluethread »

Bust Nak wrote:
bluethread wrote: I said nothing about a monolithic left. I was speaking in a colloquial fashion. Of course there are gradations among those on the left. Nor did I say anything about someone being lured, even though that is a possibility. My concern would be of someone with an agenda years later using the fact that I had lunch with a woman would imply that I touched her provocatively and that indicated that we were having an affair. I don't think that sounds any more far fetched than a daisy chain connection of beer drinking to blacking out to molesting a woman while blacked out.
But you don' fear the same thing from the right? Is that because the right wouldn't do that regardless, or because your agenda aligns and hence you would not be a target?
Who says I don't? The argument is not to be alone with a leftist woman, or when one is around leftist. The argument is to not be alone with a woman period. It is just that currently it is the left that is making the accusations, in spades. One difference I do see with the left is the tendency to go for blood when a conservative does something and say "Well, both sides do it." when a leftist does it.

bluethread
Savant

Post #14

Post by bluethread »

DeMotts wrote: [Replying to post 10 by bluethread]

2 questions bluethread.

Unless they are in the same family(wife, mother, daughter), why not?
If your spouse or daughter came to you and said she had been assaulted in the past by someone about to ascend to a powerful position, and she didn't have corroborating evidence but you genuinely believed her, what counsel would you give her?
I already stated my advice. Learn from this experience. Look people in the eye, note their eye color, be aware of your surroundings, tell people right away as soon as you are able. Develop social connections that establish corroberating evidence. If you don't want to be a victim, don't play the victim. If you do not want to be prey, don't act like prey. Isn't this what femnism is supposed to be all about?

DeMotts
Scholar

Post #15

Post by DeMotts »

bluethread wrote:
DeMotts wrote: [Replying to post 10 by bluethread]

2 questions bluethread.

Unless they are in the same family(wife, mother, daughter), why not?
Because then you will never be romantic with anyone, you will never write an amazing duet, you will never paint a nude model, you will never have a deep and meaningful conversation with someone, you will never laugh at a movie together, you will never enjoy an incredible evening at an amazing restaurant in a distant country, you will never trust someone deeply, you will never do anything of any substance with a member of the opposite sex due to the intense paranoia that this person is somehow out to get you years later for completely nebulous reasons. It is just so insane to me that your solution is to close off these doors completely out of fear.
I already stated my advice. Learn from this experience. Look people in the eye, note their eye color, be aware of your surroundings, tell people right away as soon as you are able. Develop social connections that establish corroberating evidence. If you don't want to be a victim, don't play the victim.
Remember, this is your advice after someone has told you that they have been attacked. It's telling that all your advice is about preparing for the next attack, and nothing at all empathetic about what to do with their actual experience. See a therapist maybe? Talk to another survivor? No no, remember to look your assailant in the eye! Nice.
If you do not want to be prey, don't act like prey. Isn't this what femnism is supposed to be all about?
No, it's not. Feminism isn't about "not acting like prey". Jesus man.

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #16

Post by Bust Nak »

bluethread wrote: Who says I don't?
Well, you were only talking about the left in your previous post.
It is just that currently it is the left that is making the accusations, in spades.
Granted, but not all without merit, I think you would agree.
One difference I do see with the left is the tendency to go for blood when a conservative does something and say "Well, both sides do it." when a leftist does it.
Difference? The right have the same tendency.