WHY would anyone believe this in the 21st Century?

Two hot topics for the price of one

Moderator: Moderators

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

WHY would anyone believe this in the 21st Century?

Post #1

Post by Zzyzx »

"Conservative Christians claim Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez is a witch guided by demons and leading an attack against President Donald Trump.

"Frightened by a smart, articulate, attractive young woman, conservative Christians panic, worried that Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez is really a witch leading a demonic attack against President Trump."

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/progressi ... GxUbmvqIsY

WHY would anyone believe (or even say) this in the 21st Century?
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Mithrae
Prodigy

Re: WHY would anyone believe this in the 21st Century?

Post #2

Post by Mithrae »

Zzyzx wrote: .
"Conservative Christians claim Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez is a witch guided by demons and leading an attack against President Donald Trump.

"Frightened by a smart, articulate, attractive young woman, conservative Christians panic, worried that Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez is really a witch leading a demonic attack against President Trump."

The sorry state of American politics at the moment seems to be one which encourages rabid hyper-partisanship rather than seeking common ground and at least some understanding and tolerance of differences. Granted there's some element of that in most country's politics (certainly my own), but seems to me that when you get an election where the candidates are Donald Trump and someone else apparently just as unpalatable, there's something obviously and deeply wrong there.

Sadly, in its broad-brush attack on "conservative Christians," "gullible Christians" and "gullible conservative Christians," your source seems to reflect that trend of hyper-partisanship every bit as much as the subjects of its allegations.

Kenisaw
Guru

Post #3

Post by Kenisaw »

Great question. I can't figure out why anyone would claim she is smart or articulate either. Journalism has gone to seed in my opinion...

Mithrae
Prodigy

Post #4

Post by Mithrae »

[Replying to post 3 by Kenisaw]

I was going to wonder why her gender or appearance are of such importance, either to the "gullible Christians" being attacked or as a projection from the article's author. But I figured that doesn't really get to the root of the issue.

Someone on my political forum once likened the fascination with Ocasio-Cortez to the one-time fascination with Sarah Palin. Not quite sure what they meant by that to be honest, so it may or may not be relevant.

Kenisaw
Guru

Post #5

Post by Kenisaw »

Mithrae wrote: [Replying to post 3 by Kenisaw]

I was going to wonder why her gender or appearance are of such importance, either to the "gullible Christians" being attacked or as a projection from the article's author. But I figured that doesn't really get to the root of the issue.
I have every confidence it arises from the symptoms of identity politics that certain far left fringes are constantly trying to push onto mainstream America. No doubt there is a tiny but vocal minority on the left that thinks that any negative comments towards her is due to the "patriarchy", with probably a hefty dose of "white male privilege" thrown in for good measure. To that crowd you can know every single characteristic of her simply by seeing she is young, Hispanic, and female. MLK is rolling in his grave...
Someone on my political forum once likened the fascination with Ocasio-Cortez to the one-time fascination with Sarah Palin. Not quite sure what they meant by that to be honest, so it may or may not be relevant.
If Cortez is a flash in the pan like Palin was, then that likening would be accurate indeed.

Kenisaw
Guru

Post #6

Post by Kenisaw »

[Replying to post 1 by Zzyzx]

Zzyzx, to answer your actual question, there is no good reason to compare her or anyone else to a mythological being of ancient yore. All it really is, I think, is a way to insult her without using four letter words. Calling her a witch brings nothing positive to the mind, and I suspect that is the source for that verbiage.

William
Savant

Post #7

Post by William »

Some Christians on this very board hold what I regard to be superstitious faith-based nonnegotiable beliefs, which they apparently derive from their particular interpretation of whatever favorite script the adhere to.

They argue that demons and Satan are real and work against them as 'witnesses' to their particular superstitious faith-based nonnegotiable belief as to 'what GOD is' and that appears to be "why".

Tcg
Savant

Post #8

Post by Tcg »

It comes down to what one accepts as authoritative. As long as the Bible is accepted as such, beliefs like this will continue.

While there may be other verses, Ephesians 6:12 is one verse that teaches the belief in question:

"For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms."

Of course the fact that the belief this verse teaches is applied to Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and not Trump is a bit puzzling. In any case, as long as a literal interpretation of the Bible is viewed as authoritative, beliefs like this will continue no matter what century it is.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #9

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Well there are many millions or billions of people that believe in the power of the occult.
According to Wikipedia

Wicca, also termed Pagan Witchcraft, is a contemporary Pagan new religious movement. It was developed in England during the first half of the 20th century and was introduced to the public in 1954 by Gerald Gardner, a retired British civil servant.

That said, the roots of such beliefs go back, probably unbroken, for millennia, predating Christianity and even Judaism. Black magic, Satanism, Voodoo, witch doctors... are all alive and well in the 21st Century and have many thousands if not millions of adherents.

Why do people believe in such things? Presumably because they have been convinced of the powers of the occult through reading, movies and/or documentaries or through hearing about or having personal experiences.

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Elijah John
Savant

Post #10

Post by Elijah John »

It's called demonizing your opponents. In this case, literally.

Articulate and intelligent? Maybe. But she also seems woefully ignorant, unrealistic and idealistic on several matters.
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.