HITLER and TRUMP

Two hot topics for the price of one

Moderator: Moderators

2Dbunk
Site Supporter

HITLER and TRUMP

Post #1

Post by 2Dbunk »

"The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich" by William Shirer reveals the history of Adoph Hitler’s efforts in a very, very negative way. But there are some (small amount?) who disagree. Likewise the Holocaust deniers claim that history was distorted by the victor’s claims of gross genocide. Most rational people that I know agree with the former – that Nazism is highly unethical!

I’m in the process of reading "Bonhoeffer" (published in 2011) and find that Eric Metaxas confirms much, if not all, of Shirer’s history. What's most disturbing is that many passages in the text show Hitler’s chaotic politics, mannerisms, and untruthfulness could be attributed to Donald Trump (just reverse their names).

Bonhoeffer was a theologian in Germany who was basically a fundamentalist (the established churches of the 1920s and 30s he found superficial when it came to celebrating the spirit of Jesus). Bonhoeffer quickly became disillusioned with Hitler’s manipulation of those main stream churches and the dictator's disdain for everything Christian while providing lip service to it so as to maintain his “religious� demeanor with the common folk (or he would not have survived in politics, duh).

I ask if anyone cares to debate the Donald’s intentions in making America great again in a (subtle?) but parallel way of Hitler’s efforts to make Germany great again? For that matter one might even throw in Trump’s parroting of Putin’s making Russia great again (Trump does seem to have an affinity for dictators – he even said he wouldn’t mind the opportunity to try that role).

One other question for debate: Why are evangelical Republicans and some Democrats lapping up his chaotic, untruthful soup? With all the indictments docketed the “swamp� seems to be getting deeper -- and thicker.

Danmark
Site Supporter

Post #101

Post by Danmark »

Trump has been rightfully called many things, most of which I cannot repeat on this forum without fear of official reprimand. By official forum policy one is not allowed to place an accurate label on him.

Certainly the funniest, most revealing, and astonishingly juvenile ('toddlerish' may be more accurate) act has been his perseveration over his continued claim he was right when he said Hurricane Dorian was going to hit Alabama. He laughably too a Sharpie to a weather chart to forge his 'proof.'

Your average 6th grader would know not to try such an elementary fraud. But our leader is above all that. In any event, I was wrong. Trump is nothing like Hitler. Hitler was many things, but doofus, incompetent and puerile are not among the usual descriptors applied to him.

The truly astounding thing is that evangelicals continue to support him. This does not speak well of their analytical abilities. :D

2Dbunk
Site Supporter

Post #102

Post by 2Dbunk »

[Replying to post 100 by Danmark]
Trump has been rightfully called many things, most of which I cannot repeat on this forum without fear of official reprimand. By official forum policy one is not allowed to place an accurate label on him.

Certainly the funniest, most revealing, and astonishingly juvenile ('toddlerish' may be more accurate) act has been his perseveration over his continued claim he was right when he said Hurricane Dorian was going to hit Alabama. He laughably too a Sharpie to a weather chart to forge his 'proof.'

Your average 6th grader would know not to try such an elementary fraud. But our leader is above all that. In any event, I was wrong. Trump is nothing like Hitler. Hitler was many things, but doofus, incompetent and puerile are not among the usual descriptors applied to him.
It's hard to imagine this president in his third year of office not knowing that a category 5 hurricane exists ("Category 5 . . . never heard of it"), or the "airports were secured . . ." during the Revolutionary War -- in a telling monotone screaming "I'd rather be golfing today."

In retrospect, maybe I should have compared Donald Trump to Al Capone or Tony Soprano. If one has watched the movie CAPONE or the TV series THE SOPRANOS, One can easily see striking similarities. Of course all three were raised in the New York City area and suffer dialect disfunction of a negative sort (I think in their case their use of loutish lingo has been their common, adopted style -- others from New York tend to refine their accent with more care. And their mannerisms and facial expressions seem very similar. Whether their tactics of survival are the same, the jury is still out.
The truly astounding thing is that evangelicals continue to support him. This does not speak well of their analytical abilities.

That's another parallel with the gangsters: Trump's lip service to the religious reek of the pious overtones the gangsters portrayed in their personal lives to the ONE TRUE CHURCH.
What good is truth if its value is not more than unproven, handed-down faith?

One believes things because one is conditioned to believe them. -Aldous Huxley

Fear within the Religious will always be with them ... as long as they are fearful of death.