Is the support for Trump contrary to Christian values?

Two hot topics for the price of one

Moderator: Moderators

Danmark
Site Supporter

Is the support for Trump contrary to Christian values?

Post #1

Post by Danmark »

Does evangelical support for Trump create a crisis for Christianity?
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... cn2gnaekoQ

Are his policies and personal character consistent with Christian values?

Related to this, should a Christian who wants to bear witness for the risen Christ sell all he has, give to the poor, and follow Jesus?
Or should he or she accumulate wealth to show he is blessed by God?

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Re: Is the support for Trump contrary to Christian values?

Post #141

Post by Purple Knight »

2ndRateMind wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:44 am Speaking as an alcoholic who has been warned by his doctor that I need to stop drinking or I'll die, I can tell you stopping it is really, really hard. I have managed to cut down, considerably, but the idea of giving up entirely fills me with the dread of empty days. I hope I make my three-score years and ten, and no one has a right to expect more, but that's just where I am at right now. Drugs, of course, are even worse. Fortunately I have managed to avoid them thus far, and do not suffer from that craving.
See how you at least know you need to not drink so much? These bums do not. They do not care.

My life has been full of alcoholics. My family is filled with either alcoholics or those that enable them. I didn't get the gene so I can drink now and then without ever having the craving. I never feel like I need alcohol. Caffeine, yes. Alcohol, no.

And after much soul-searching, I know exactly where I fall on the spectrum of sympathy because it really is genetic, versus accountability because alcoholics can ruin everyone around them.

It's as simple as knowing you have a problem. Now, not everyone who says the words actually knows they have a problem. But you clearly do because you know what the problem is and that's simply that it's killing you.