Is the support for Trump contrary to Christian values?

Two hot topics for the price of one

Moderator: Moderators

Danmark
Site Supporter

Is the support for Trump contrary to Christian values?

Post #1

Post by Danmark »

Does evangelical support for Trump create a crisis for Christianity?
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... cn2gnaekoQ

Are his policies and personal character consistent with Christian values?

Related to this, should a Christian who wants to bear witness for the risen Christ sell all he has, give to the poor, and follow Jesus?
Or should he or she accumulate wealth to show he is blessed by God?

Tcg
Savant

Re: Is the support for Trump contrary to Christian values?

Post #121

Post by Tcg »

[Replying to Clownboat in post #120]

Moderator Comment

Please refrain from using profanity as doing so is against forum rules.

Please review the Rules.

Moderator comments do not count as a strike against any posters. They only serve as an acknowledgment that a post report has been received, but has not been judged to warrant a moderator warning against a particular poster. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.

koko

Post #122

Post by koko »

Clownboat wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:25 pm
Trump 2024!!!!!!!
Sorry couldn't resist.

The Christians I run in to do support Trump. I don't think you are thinking this through clearly if you believe Christians are supporting him for Christian reasons though.

Support for the state of Israel, abortion, gun ownership and religious liberty rights. These are the reasons I notice, not because of his Christian values. The man is a ass afterall, and I assume most Christians even realize this.

There is a certain delusionalism that right wingers often succumb to. Unfortunately for them, they are the ones who erroneously believe they are supporting Trump for "Christian" reasons when, in fact, more often than not, their thoughts and actions are not Christian in any way.

koko

Post #123

Post by koko »

Christian values by their nature are those of integrity and honesty. A handful of years ago the Republican party (the one that claimed to be guided by moral principles and integrity) imposed a rule where a president could not nominate a judge for the supreme court in his final year. They even had a lawyer/judge speak in defense of this idea:

Irony of ironies! That same speaker has now been nominated for the supreme court under the very conditions she criticized when a Democrat tried to make such an appointment.

Again, this is proof that support for Trump is contrary to Christian values.

Clownboat
Savant

Post #124

Post by Clownboat »

koko wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:30 am
Clownboat wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:25 pm
Trump 2024!!!!!!!
Sorry couldn't resist.

The Christians I run in to do support Trump. I don't think you are thinking this through clearly if you believe Christians are supporting him for Christian reasons though.

Support for the state of Israel, abortion, gun ownership and religious liberty rights. These are the reasons I notice, not because of his Christian values. The man is a ass afterall, and I assume most Christians even realize this.

There is a certain delusionalism that right wingers often succumb to. Unfortunately for them, they are the ones who erroneously believe they are supporting Trump for "Christian" reasons when, in fact, more often than not, their thoughts and actions are not Christian in any way.
You must run into different Trump supporters then I do.

Again, I don't see Christians supporting him for Christian values like you are trying to make it seem like they are doing. They support him for his support for the state of Israel, abortion, gun ownership and religious liberty rights.

For me, your entire Christian values argument is way off base and doesn't reflect what is actually happening (from my piont of view), so not much I can comment on besides letting you know that I don't perceive happening what you do.
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

AgnosticBoy
Guru

Post #125

Post by AgnosticBoy »

koko wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:54 am Christian values by their nature are those of integrity and honesty. A handful of years ago the Republican party (the one that claimed to be guided by moral principles and integrity) imposed a rule where a president could not nominate a judge for the supreme court in his final year. They even had a lawyer/judge speak in defense of this idea:

Irony of ironies! That same speaker has now been nominated for the supreme court under the very conditions she criticized when a Democrat tried to make such an appointment.

Again, this is proof that support for Trump is contrary to Christian values.
So your point is that Republicans lack integrity? So tell me, how does that automatically turn into a vote for a Democrat? Don't you think I should consider the acts of Democrats, as well? And if done, what if I conclude that BOTH Democrats and Republicans are evil, then what?

I wish people would stop trying to sell their party to me.
- Proud forum owner ∣ The Agnostic Forum

- As a non-partisan, I like to be on the side of truth. - AB

Menotu
Sage

Post #126

Post by Menotu »

Danmark wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:38 pm Does evangelical support for Trump create a crisis for Christianity?
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... cn2gnaekoQ

Are his policies and personal character consistent with Christian values?

Related to this, should a Christian who wants to bear witness for the risen Christ sell all he has, give to the poor, and follow Jesus?
Or should he or she accumulate wealth to show he is blessed by God?

Today's Christianity is becoming hateful, gluttonous and white-male-centric so Trumpers can legitimately claim to be part of today's Christianity. Which can be seen by the numerous Christians flocking to his defense.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #127

Post by nobspeople »

[Replying to Danmark in post #1]

Exactly what part of the Christian values does Donny represent?
Divorce?
Adultery?
Hate?
Lies?
Power hungry to an extreme?
Telling people what they want to hear to get support?
Making fun of others?
Stealing?

He was once a democrat that said Hillary would make a great president. Unless, he was lying. Which is quite possible.
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #128

Post by JehovahsWitness »

nobspeople wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:46 pm [Replying to Danmark in post #1]

Divorce?
Adultery?
Hate?
Lies?
Making fun of others?
Stealing?

He was once a democrat that said Hillary would make a great president. Unless, he was lying. Which is quite possible.
I dont think and one individual can judge another. Who knows for sure of his personal motivations?
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #129

Post by nobspeople »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:18 am
nobspeople wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:46 pm [Replying to Danmark in post #1]

Divorce?
Adultery?
Hate?
Lies?
Making fun of others?
Stealing?

I dont think and one individual can judge another. Who knows for sure of his personal motivations?
People judge each other all the time, there's no getting around that. Motives aside, I'm still left wondering what values of Christianity so many Christians claim they share with such a waste of oxygen.
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #130

Post by JehovahsWitness »

nobspeople wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:48 pm
People judge each other all the time, there's no getting around that. Motives aside, I'm still left wondering what values of Christianity so many Christians claim they share with such a waste of oxygen.
I see you feel very stongly about President Trump.

I have no pony in this race: I don't vote, I'm not American and I haven't followed stories about him so I don't now what he is supposed to have done or not done to merit such venom. He is a human being and I leave all final judgement of my fellow man to the Almighty.

Peace out!
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8