Romans 13, Dumbest Passage in the New Testament?

Two hot topics for the price of one

Moderator: Moderators

Is it intellectually dishonest to quote this passage only when YOUR leader is in office?

Yes
90%
No
10%

Total votes: 10

Danmark
Site Supporter

Romans 13, Dumbest Passage in the New Testament?

Post #1

Post by Danmark »

Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God. Therefore whoever resists the authorities resists what God has appointed, and those who resist will incur judgment. For rulers are not a terror to good conduct, but to bad.

Yes, there are many candidates for 'Dumbest Passage in the New Testament,' but this is my nominee. Worse than the passage is the intellectual dishonesty of those who only trot it out when their political favorite is in office and making a jackass out of him or herself.

Like dross rising to the surface of molten metal, this impurity emerges only when YOUR guy gets elected. I've seen this bit of rubbish frequently published by 'Christians,' since Trump got elected. I don't recall anyone reminding us of Romans 13 when Obama was President.

Danmark
Site Supporter

Post #31

Post by Danmark »

Purple Knight wrote:
Danmark wrote:So why do you bring this quote up?
It's the subject of the topic.
Danmark wrote:I think the sentiment is both absurd and immoral. Essentially it is 'might makes right.' So do you offer this quote tho' you agree it is wrong? Do you stand by the quote? Do you disavow it?
Neither. I can't say. It may shock you to hear someone admit this, but I do not know right from wrong.
I find this hard to believe, but I'll take you at your word, that you don't understand the difference between, that you see no moral distinction between, feeding a starving person and buying a 12 year old to use as a sex slave.

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #32

Post by Purple Knight »

Danmark wrote:I find this hard to believe, but I'll take you at your word, that you don't understand the difference between, that you see no moral distinction between, feeding a starving person and buying a 12 year old to use as a sex slave.
If I understand the difference it's because I understand that the latter would be universally condemned.

No, I don't know why. Everyone who works for a living is essentially a slave. If they lose their jobs, and can't get welfare or a new job, they die.

Some people have unbearably nasty jobs. Some people might prefer your scenario. Some people end up as the omega in a room full of social butterflies and not only have to do the work of ten people, but have to deal with the constant harassment of one type or another from those nine other people, who run to HR and complain about the one person no one will defend just to blow off steam. Wolves do exactly the same thing.

Danmark
Site Supporter

Post #33

Post by Danmark »

Purple Knight wrote:
Danmark wrote:I find this hard to believe, but I'll take you at your word, that you don't understand the difference between, that you see no moral distinction between, feeding a starving person and buying a 12 year old to use as a sex slave.
If I understand the difference it's because I understand that the latter would be universally condemned.
OK, you understand there is a difference, maybe, but only in that OTHERS universally condemn sex trafficking with minors and adults having sex with children.

In other words, since you declare you do not know right from wrong, you see nothing wrong with you personally having sex with minors; you have no morality that would prevent you from violating a six year old, tho' you understand society would condemn your action.

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #34

Post by Purple Knight »

Danmark wrote:In other words, since you declare you do not know right from wrong, you see nothing wrong with you personally having sex with minors; you have no morality that would prevent you from violating a six year old, tho' you understand society would condemn your action.
Thrust into a world where it wasn't wrong, and no one had ever told me that, I hope I would still at least think it was gross. A six-year-old? Yes, that grosses me out.

But if it didn't, then no, I wouldn't understand it was inherently wrong.

When they were passing out Jiminy Crickets, I was at the back of the line and they ran out. I test as a psychopath.

You say the quote is essentially tantamount to "might makes right" but can you give me an argument that "might makes right" is impermissible? Can you give me an example of "might makes right" being employed in an impermissible way and tell me which part of it is in fact, impermissible?

Danmark
Site Supporter

Post #35

Post by Danmark »

Purple Knight wrote:
Thrust into a world where it wasn't wrong, and no one had ever told me that, I hope I would still at least think it was gross. A six-year-old? Yes, that grosses me out.
You have just refuted your claim that you "do not know right from wrong."
[post 30]

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #36

Post by Purple Knight »

Danmark wrote: Purple Knight wrote:
You have just refuted your claim that you "do not know right from wrong."
[post 30]
Is sniffing feces morally wrong? Because I think that's gross too.

In either situation I would never stop another person from doing it unless I had it on good authority that it was actually wrong.

In your hypothetical world where having sex with a six-year-old isn't considered wrong, and I see someone else doing it, I puke a little into my mouth and then go on my much less merry way. Same if I see someone getting off on smelling poop.

Danmark
Site Supporter

Post #37

Post by Danmark »

[Replying to post 36 by Purple Knight]

So you claim smelling poop and molesting a two year old are morally equivalent, to you?

Falling Light 101
Apprentice

Re: Romans 13, Dumbest Passage in the New Testament?

Post #38

Post by Falling Light 101 »

please read the rest of what Paul is saying and explaining.

Rom 13:3  For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to the evil.

Wilt thou then not be afraid of the power? do that which is good, and thou shalt have praise of the same: 

:4  For he is the minister of God to thee for good.

But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil. 

:7  Render therefore to all their dues: tribute to whom tribute is due; custom to whom custom; fear to whom fear; honour to whom honour. 

Paul is not explaining a promotion to honor an evil government, Paul is very clear - honor and obey the governments who do good works- who fight evil - who are ministers to good and God

Falling Light 101
Apprentice

Post #39

Post by Falling Light 101 »

we know that Donald Trump can fail as a human being

we know that Donald Trump makes errors and mistakes, he does not attempt to hide and disguise himself and use manipulative propaganda and " MOB MEDIA to cover his tracks and divert attention away from his failings and mistakes and frail humanity

but this is why we know that Donald Trump is exactly who he claims to be

we expect - TRUMP - to always be trump

The Barbarian
Sage

Post #40

Post by The Barbarian »

Danmark wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:50 pm I'm an independent. I was once a Republican and conservative who even supported Richard Nixon until the evidence of his guilt became overwhelming. But even Nixon genuinely cared about this country. Trump only cares about laying up treasure on earth. His perfidy goes WAY beyond the normal D vs. R squabbles.
We tend to simplify Nixon to a mere bad guy. He was a bad guy, and he probably should have spent a year or so in prison. But it is true that he saw himself as a patriot and certainly acted in many ways because of his desire to protect and serve America. His foreign policy was brilliant and if he hadn't gotten involved in that burglary thing, he'd probably be regarded as one of our better presidents. He was brought down by his personal flaws; he was an angry, vindictive, untrustworthy person. But he meant to serve America.