A Question for Evangelicals.

Two hot topics for the price of one

Moderator: Moderators

Gracchus
Apprentice

A Question for Evangelicals.

Post #1

Post by Gracchus »

Do evangelicals and other Christians really believe that a habitual liar, serial adulterer, and defaulter on contracts, who tears children from their parents and has them put in cages, can lead them toward the Kingdom of Heaven? Is that what Jesus would do?

:?: :study:

Wootah
Savant

Re: A Question for Evangelicals.

Post #2

Post by Wootah »

Gracchus wrote: Do evangelicals and other Christians really believe that a habitual liar, serial adulterer, and defaulter on contracts, who tears children from their parents and has them put in cages, can lead them toward the Kingdom of Heaven? Is that what Jesus would do?

We voted against Hillary and would do so again!
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Gracchus
Apprentice

Post #3

Post by Gracchus »

[Replying to post 2 by Wootah]

Well, that doesn't answer the question, does it? Especially, since Ms. Clinton is not running for office this time. So, as of right now, you can't vote against her again.

Perhaps, you would be so good as to answer the question actually asked? If I didn't see you were a Christian, I would be inclined to think that you were deliberately prevaricating. But of course you would not consciously bring Christianity into disrepute by bearing false witness. That would be a bad fruit from what is supposed to be a good tree, and I have been told that is not possible.

Adstar
Under Probation

Post #4

Post by Adstar »

Gracchus wrote: Do evangelicals and other Christians really believe that a habitual liar, serial adulterer, and defaulter on contracts, who tears children from their parents and has them put in cages, can lead them toward the Kingdom of Heaven? Is that what Jesus would do?

Question::

What's your definition of an ""evangelical"" ?

Wootah
Savant

Post #5

Post by Wootah »

Gracchus wrote: [Replying to post 2 by Wootah]

Well, that doesn't answer the question, does it? Especially, since Ms. Clinton is not running for office this time. So, as of right now, you can't vote against her again.

Perhaps, you would be so good as to answer the question actually asked? If I didn't see you were a Christian, I would be inclined to think that you were deliberately prevaricating. But of course you would not consciously bring Christianity into disrepute by bearing false witness. That would be a bad fruit from what is supposed to be a good tree, and I have been told that is not possible.

Let me answer like this: Suppose there was a heart surgeon that I needed that was a habitual liar, serial adulterer, and defaulter on contracts, who tears children from their parents and has them put in cages.

Are you saying I should not use his skills of heart surgery?

Furthermore, God love to make good from bad. Joseph says to his brothers what you meant for evil God meant for good.

Furthermore, Trump ain't so bad. he is a builder, not a destroyer.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #6

Post by Bust Nak »

Wootah wrote: Let me answer like this: Suppose there was a heart surgeon that I needed that was a habitual liar, serial adulterer, and defaulter on contracts, who tears children from their parents and has them put in cages.

That would depend on whether this so called heart surgeon is lying about his skills and qualification, lying about his intentions of building you up instead of destroying you; on whether he is going to commit adultery with your spouse while you are put under anesthetic; on whether he is going to default if you survive to sue him; on whether he takes children from their parent and put them in cages while waiting for a matching client for their hearts as transplant, wouldn't it?

Clownboat
Savant

Post #7

Post by Clownboat »

Bust Nak wrote:
Wootah wrote: Let me answer like this: Suppose there was a heart surgeon that I needed that was a habitual liar, serial adulterer, and defaulter on contracts, who tears children from their parents and has them put in cages.

That would depend on whether this so called heart surgeon is lying about his skills and qualification, lying about his intentions of building you up instead of destroying you; on whether he is going to commit adultery with your spouse while you are put under anesthetic; on whether he is going to default if you survive to sue him; on whether he takes children from their parent and put them in cages while waiting for a matching client for their hearts as transplant, wouldn't it?
I'm pretty sure he is talking about a qualified heart surgeon with these attributes. Either way, I'm curious...
If someone is a total doody head of a person, but a qualified heart surgeon, should you not use their services? Pretend the doody head is better qualified if you would (not claiming Trump is).

Like I tell my employees. You don't have to like each other, but you do have to work with each other.

If the end goal is good service (which of course would be debatable if talking Trump specifically), do the doody head quality necessarily need to matter over the end goal?

Obviously having a qualified person also being a good role model would be ideal, but not always possible when it comes to getting a job done. My best employee is the one I get the most complaints about. No one better qualified to do what he does though. I can send an employee out that customers will like, or one that will figure out the job. In tough cases, I send my best guy even though I may hear complaints.

Is the president supposed to be a role model, or a leader first?

I'm certainly not arguing that Trump is the best or even qualified. I just do not pay that much attention to politics currently. I'm just wondering if all the claims made about him are true, how much should it matter when there is a job to do? Obviously we would want qualified and a good role model, but that is not always available.

If we got a response that doesn't contain slander against Trump (even if deserved) or doesn't have name calling, that would be very refreshing and new as I'm not interested in knowing if people think he is a doody head or not, more interested in if a general leader is qualified, but a doody head, how much should it matter. (Perhaps answer this question without Trump on the mind, just a generic president of whatever affiliation)

If Obama cheated on his wife, should that have come in to play (like really come in to play) as far as him remaining president or getting elected in the first place? It's a negative action for sure, but what would that mean about him as a president? If Obama was better qualified, but cheated on his wife, should we elect the less qualified candidate?

When it comes to Trump, it's hard for me to know how he is doing as a president because of all the name calling. I hear old timers that were once Democrats railing on about taking out as much money from retirement as they can right now because of things Trump has done. Then I hear the other side call him names.

Not having a personal feeling about how Trump is doing is my fault of course as I'm not following politics much currently. So I do not have an informed position about the man if I'm being honest. I hear good things from one side and mostly name calling and slander from the other.

Then there are things like this:
WHY BEING AN ******** CAN BE A VALUABLE LIFE SKILL

But out of all of the Big Five Personality Traits, one of the five stands above them all in determining professional success: agreeableness.

Or rather, a lack of agreeableness.

Basically, ******** make more money. Often, a lot more money.
https://markmanson.net/being-an-asshole

My best tech is not agreeable, but he is the best.
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

Gracchus
Apprentice

Post #8

Post by Gracchus »

[Replying to post 4 by Adstar]
I believe they usually self-identify, just as Christians self-identify as Christians. I am unaware of any necessary certificates or licences. :thumb:

:study:

Gracchus
Apprentice

Post #9

Post by Gracchus »

[Replying to post 5 by Wootah]
Well, I might inquire as to a heart surgeon's training and experience. I might ask how much of his time is actually practicing surgery and how much playing golf.

Adstar
Under Probation

Post #10

Post by Adstar »

Gracchus wrote: [Replying to post 4 by Adstar]
I believe they usually self-identify, just as Christians self-identify as Christians. I am unaware of any necessary certificates or licences. :thumb:

Ok then since you don't have a definition of what an evangelical is i will just make a reply as a Christian..

1) I am not an American..
2) I am an Australian but i do not vote in Australia's elections because of my Christian beliefs..
3) I can understand why some American Christians would vote for Trump over Clinton,, They would do so as a selection of the lesser of two evils.. Clinton is perceived as an anti-christian politician.. Trump was perceived as being a faulty guy but at lest he was and is not openly hostile to Christianity..
4) No Christian that i have ever met online ( and i meet a lot of American Christians online has ever expressed the opinion that Trump is a Christian Leader.. He is seen as a politician only.. No Christian i know believes that trump is going to ""lead them toward the Kingdom of Heaven""