Are you more concerned about the actual virus?

Two hot topics for the price of one

Moderator: Moderators

Elijah John
Savant

Are you more concerned about the actual virus?

Post #1

Post by Elijah John »

1) Are you more concerned about the actual coronavirus itself?

2) Or about panic buying disrupting the supply chain of basic groceries and the effect on the economy.

3) Should the President consider imposing rationing of basic necessities so that everyone can get enough?

4) Should the President encourage papermills and other sources in the chain to ramp up production and delivery?

5) With all the emphasis on testing, testing and more testing, have the authorities neglected the basics of life?

For the first time (as I was typing this) I heard President Trump advise against the hoarding of groceries. I wish he'd do more of that.
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #61

Post by Zzyzx »

Let's consider what people who actually work in the field have to say.
One reason why it is so hard to contain the novel coronavirus is because many of those spreading it have no idea that they have it. Indeed, there is compelling evidence to suggest that asymptomatic people — those who carry the active virus but never develop any symptoms — are fueling the spread. Worse, only people with symptoms are being tested in the United States. That means there is almost no way to identify silent spreaders.

Antibody testing is key to being able to restart the economy, as they can provide quantitative data of public health risks and the status of herd immunity.

It’s unclear if people who have the novel coronavirus can get infected again, and there have been conflicting reports. According to South Korean health officials, at least 91 people who had been infected with the novel coronavirus tested positive for it again, after testing negative.

But when we can expect these tests to be readily available to the public? Zehnder said it could range from a few weeks to a few months.
https://www.rawstory.com/2020/04/the-fu ... -business/
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

AgnosticBoy
Guru

Post #62

Post by AgnosticBoy »

Zzyzx wrote: .
Let's consider what people who actually work in the field have to say.
One reason why it is so hard to contain the novel coronavirus is because many of those spreading it have no idea that they have it. Indeed, there is compelling evidence to suggest that asymptomatic people — those who carry the active virus but never develop any symptoms — are fueling the spread. Worse, only people with symptoms are being tested in the United States. That means there is almost no way to identify silent spreaders.

Antibody testing is key to being able to restart the economy, as they can provide quantitative data of public health risks and the status of herd immunity.

It’s unclear if people who have the novel coronavirus can get infected again, and there have been conflicting reports. According to South Korean health officials, at least 91 people who had been infected with the novel coronavirus tested positive for it again, after testing negative.

But when we can expect these tests to be readily available to the public? Zehnder said it could range from a few weeks to a few months.
https://www.rawstory.com/2020/04/the-fu ... -business/
You are trying to cast doubt on immunity by pointing to anecdotes of people testing positive after testing negative for covid-19.

Why did you leave these parts out that came right after where your quote leaves off:
Some scientists think these people could have received a false negative in the middle of an ongoing infection

Furthermore, here's more on other coronaviruses from your source: (Perhaps Tcg can refer to this when considering how immunity works and how long
After being infected with a virus, the human body creates proteins called antibodies that can detect and attack that virus if it reappears in the body. This is how the body develops immunity to an infection. How long that immunity lasts ranges on the type of infection: for example, once a person is infected with measles they are immune throughout their entire lives. But when it comes to seasonal coronaviruses, it’s a bit more complicated. For SARS and MERS, this line of defense is present in survivors, according to separate studies, around two years.

AgnosticBoy
Guru

Post #63

Post by AgnosticBoy »

In debates on this site, I've found atheists doing a lot of things that they accuse Christian apologists of doing. Here's a short list:

1. Repeating the arguments that have already been refuted.
Examples: Multiple atheist forum members have argued that not restricting the low risk population with "stay-at-home' orders will lead to lots of deaths. I've refuted this point by pointing to consistencies in stats, amongst different states and even countries, that show that there's a low risk population that only experiences MILD symptoms and little to no deaths. Yet some atheists here still keep trying to argue or make points that insinuate otherwise.

2. Relying on anecdotal/unscientific sources.
Examples: Some atheists have quoted from sources such as rawstory.com, Wired, etc. to make their arguments. I've relied on mainstream and even scientific sources such as Nature, Johns Hopkins University, the Centers for Disease Control, and yes sometimes even CNN, Washington Times, New York Times, Fox News etc when appropriate.

I've spotted these poor debate tactics just in my conversation on covid-19. There are other instances of atheists resorting to unscientific and ideological thinking when it comes to immigration and even gun rights. I'm more tough on atheists on this than Christians because atheists claim to be guided by SCIENCE and REASON. Based on all of the above, the Christian debaters here should take note:

Many atheists inconsistently apply their skeptical/epistemological standards, tend to place IDEOLOGY above verifiable evidence/logic. As an agnostic and Independent (political), I feel as though I'm like the atheist battling against the faith-based Christians except in this case I'm battling against so called "atheists". I do wonder if lack of "evidence" is the only reason behind disbelief in the existence of god(s).

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #64

Post by Zzyzx »

[Replying to post 58 by AgnosticBoy]

Opinion and anecdotes noted.

Critiquing the debate style of others contributes nothing, particularly when done with blanket statements.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

AgnosticBoy
Guru

Post #65

Post by AgnosticBoy »

[Replying to post 58 by AgnosticBoy]

Opinion and anecdotes noted.

Critiquing the debate style of others contributes nothing, particularly when done with blanket statements.
Well it is part of debate to expose faulty thinking and tactics and I've done so in relation to the topic of covid-19. Perhaps you should stop engaging in faulty thinking and tactics if you don't want it to be brought up.

Stop insinuating that my plan would lead to many deaths when only .02% of the low risk population has died in a coronavirus hot spot like NEW YORK.

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #66

Post by Zzyzx »

AgnosticBoy wrote:
Zzyzx wrote: Opinion and anecdotes noted.

Well it is part of debate to expose faulty thinking and tactics and I've done so in relation to the topic of covid-19.
Another opinion noted. It might be prudent to consult opinions other than one's own.
Non-Theist

AgnosticBoy
Guru

Post #67

Post by AgnosticBoy »

AgnosticBoy wrote:
Zzyzx wrote: Opinion and anecdotes noted.

Well it is part of debate to expose faulty thinking and tactics and I've done so in relation to the topic of covid-19.
Another opinion noted. It might be prudent to consult opinions other than one's own.
I'm not sure what you're referring to as "opinion". Is it not part of debate to call out faulty thinking and tactics? If you commit a logical fallacy, you're saying to call you out on it is an "opinion"?

FWI... As an agnostic, I have NO beliefs.

emilynghiem
Student

Re: Are you more concerned about the actual virus?

Post #68

Post by emilynghiem »

Elijah John wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:59 pm 1) Are you more concerned about the actual coronavirus itself?

2) Or about panic buying disrupting the supply chain of basic groceries and the effect on the economy.

3) Should the President consider imposing rationing of basic necessities so that everyone can get enough?

4) Should the President encourage papermills and other sources in the chain to ramp up production and delivery?

5) With all the emphasis on testing, testing and more testing, have the authorities neglected the basics of life?

For the first time (as I was typing this) I heard President Trump advise against the hoarding of groceries. I wish he'd do more of that.
Dear @Elijah John
I am concerned about addressing the medical demands first, since the unknowns
and unpredictable reactions to either the virus, vaccines or treatments are causing the most distress and conflicts.
However, people cannot seem to focus on the medical science without bringing up their political
and economic concerns that affect their priorities and response.
So before I can address that, I have to address my neighbor's priorities so we can even communicate.
This has proven to be the biggest struggle!
Each person has such different order of concerns, I have attached a chart someone
posted to show the overlapping areas: medical, economic and political.

Then, I found THREE more areas that are biasing and obstructing communication:
MEDIA bias is causing distress, and political biases from people fearing that others are censoring their concerns
and panicking about the "wrong thing." In actuality, everyone has their own degrees and priorities of concerns,
that are ALL valid, just stacked in different orders for different people. Who are all overwhelmed.

Nobody I know can be completely inclusive and treat ALL concerns equally. There are just too many areas affected!

So the best way, most compassionate and effective way I know to respond
is to address each person where THEY are coming from, and help them to validate
their priorities and a safe, efficient way to address their concerns without compromise or conflict.

Pressuring or arguing with people to "change" their priorities is just going to set people off worse!

It's best to listen to where each person is coming from, and help them solve THOSE problems first.
Not everyone can address all areas at once, it is too stressful!

Please see the second diagram I attached, that shows additional areas that people are upset about.

Since these add up to about 6-8 different areas of urgent concern, I would like to
encourage people to form groups around each one, and work together in teams of common focus.

Conflicts competing to attack or defeind one priority is "more important" than another as "fake hype"
is NOT helping and will just trigger more and more overreaction and panic.

I wish people would just organize in likeminded groups, represent and solve their own problems
under policies they agree to by voluntary compliance so nobody is forced, and quit
imposing on or attacking other groups. Not everyone has the same crisis demands
to answer for, so organizing resources independently would be better instead of
trying to force controls of policy for everyone where they don't all agree, so it fails.