Two hot topics for the price of one

Moderator: Moderators

Elijah John
Savant

Does poverty cause crime? Or does crime cause poverty

Post #1

Post by Elijah John »

For debate:

Does poverty cause crime? Or does crime cause poverty. (or both) Please illustrate your answers. (not literally ;))
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

2ndRateMind
Site Supporter

Re: Does poverty cause crime? Or does crime cause poverty

Post #11

Post by 2ndRateMind »

AgnosticBoy wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:59 pm
Elijah John wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 9:55 pm For debate:

Does poverty cause crime? Or does crime cause poverty. (or both) Please illustrate your answers. (not literally ;))
There is certainly a correlation between poverty and certain types of crime. But then again, there are people who are poor and don't commit crime. There are also people who aren't poor, or who are even rich, yet they commit crimes...

...Because of this i don't believe poverty alone causes crime, although it can be a contributing factor in connection with other factors, like dysfunctional family or lack of family support, etc.
I think you may need to take a statistical, rather than deterministic, view on this.

Best of wishes, 2RM.
Non omnes qui errant pereunt
Not all who wander are lost

AgnosticBoy
Guru

Post #12

Post by AgnosticBoy »

2ndRateMind wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:53 am

Because of this i don't believe poverty alone causes crime, although it can be a contributing factor in connection with other factors, like dysfunctional family or lack of family support, etc.
I think you may need to take a statistical, rather than deterministic, view on this.

Best of wishes, 2RM.
I doubt you're going to find any stat that tells you 100% of poor people commit crime. Just one example of a poor person not resorting to crime would disprove that view. You would have to qualify your view, with "correlation" or "contributing factor".

2ndRateMind
Site Supporter

Post #13

Post by 2ndRateMind »

AgnosticBoy wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:01 am
2ndRateMind wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:53 am

Because of this i don't believe poverty alone causes crime, although it can be a contributing factor in connection with other factors, like dysfunctional family or lack of family support, etc.

Best of wishes, 2RM.
I doubt you're going to find any stat that tells you 100% of poor people commit crime. Just one example of a poor person not resorting to crime would disprove that view. You would have to qualify your view, with "correlation" or "contributing factor".
Agreed. But if one's poverty makes one more likely to commit crime, and one's crime tends to leave one poor, then one is certainly entitled to say poverty causes crime, and crime causes poverty.

Best of wishes, 2RM.
Non omnes qui errant pereunt
Not all who wander are lost