Is government the answer?

Two hot topics for the price of one

Moderator: Moderators

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Is government the answer?

Post #1

Post by JehovahsWitness »

My question is mainly for Christians but of course anyone can anwer. Some believe we are living in troubled times with global problems that effect millions. If you are of that number, what is the solution ?
  • Is God's kingdom to come when God rules through moving good men and women in government?
  • Should we look to governments (or any political movement or humanitarian organisation ) as the expression of Gods kingdom on earth?
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: Is government the answer?

Post #2

As one of Jehovahs Witnesses I believe that all forms if human rulership are doomed to be inferior to god rule since humans were not created capable of successfully ruling themselves.

God will we believe destroy all human governments and instigate one world government if his own making. Then and only then will all world problems such as world hunger, war and inequality finally be solved. This is why we don't vote or take part in any political movements.

JEHOVAHS WITNESS

RELATED POSTS
Should Christians engage in politics?
viewtopic.php?p=952643#p952643

What is the future of world GOVERNMENT?
viewtopic.php?p=1015680#p1015680

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

koko

Post #3

Post by koko »

Render unto Caesar the things that are Caesar's.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #4

koko wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:25 pm Render unto Caesar the things that are Caesar's.
Yes that is a principle in scripture. Do you feel inclined to say how you feel that relates to the OP?

koko

Post #5

Post by koko »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:28 am
koko wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:25 pm Render unto Caesar the things that are Caesar's.
Yes that is a principle in scripture. Do you feel inclined to say how you feel that relates to the OP?

It is a confirmation that government does have a role in one's daily conduct and that people should conform to its decrees. The Bible gives many examples of directorship and compliance. It follows that government today should use the models given in that book. For example, in times of famine the government kept storehouses and allocated food to those in need. This proves that government welfare for the poor is a valid part of government.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #6

koko wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:19 am
JehovahsWitness wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:28 am

It is a confirmation that government does have a role in one's daily conduct and that people should conform to its decrees. The Bible gives many examples of directorship and compliance. It follows that government today should use the models given in that book. For example, in times of famine the government kept storehouses and allocated food to those in need. This proves that government welfare for the poor is a valid part of government.
Yes I agree with youf or the most part, but the questions for debate were...

• Is God's kingdom to come when God rules through moving good men and women in government?
  • Should we look to governments (or any political movement or humanitarian organisation ) as the expression of Gods kingdom on earth?
Do you not have an opinion on that?

JW

koko

Post #7

Post by koko »

Is God's kingdom to come when God rules through moving good men and women in government?

Very difficult to answer in the affirmative. After all, there are many promises made in the Bible but who can actually prove that they were fuflfilled? For example, the Bible promises healing miracles for those who suffer illness. If that was true, then why are people dying of plague? Pay tithes to the church and you will prosper. Really? I paid tithed and got back nothing. Far too many promises have gone unfulfilled so there is no way to prove the biblical ideal that good men and women in government will take care of all.

Should we look to governments (or any political movement or humanitarian organisation ) as the expression of Gods kingdom on earth?

By their works ye shall know them. Organizations that feed the poor, house the homeless, give medicine to the sick, all those are doing the work promised in the Bible. We need much more of that in society. Ironically many wealthy Republicans preach a good sermon but fail to take actions consistent with the Bible's teaching. That same book promises eternal hellfire for people like those who abuse the poor. But they continue to prosper so I wonder if that promise will ever be fulfilled?

All these problems that we see today can easily be remedied if this god took healing corrective action. It is up to him to fulfill that Bible.

DavidLeon
Under Probation

Post #8

Post by DavidLeon »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:12 am My question is mainly for Christians but of course anyone can anwer. Some believe we are living in troubled times with global problems that effect millions. If you are of that number, what is the solution ?
You've labelled me an apostate so you won't likely respond to this but I thought I would throw my two cents in nevertheless. The answer to both questions is no. Jehovah isn't going to operate through the governments and that includes the governing body of Jehovah's Witnesses. When Jehovah had a representation of Kings on Earth some were faithful and some were not. Jehovah spoke to the chosen people, the Jews, through prophets who often revealed that Jehovah was their most ardent critic. Of both the faithful and the unfaithful. No such arrangement currently exists and hasn't since then. From the last King Zedekiah until the one who has the legal right sits on Jehovah's throne. (Ezekiel 21:12-13)
I no longer post here