Who will win the 2020 US Presidential Election?

Two hot topics for the price of one

Moderator: Moderators

Trump in a landslide
8%
Trump comfortably
33%
Trump in a close election
25%
Biden in a close election
17%
Biden comfortably
17%
Biden in a landslide
No votes

Total votes: 12

historia
Prodigy

Post #1

Post by historia »

Early polls (137 days before the election) show Biden leading. But who wins comes November?

AgnosticBoy
Guru

Re: Who will win the 2020 US Presidential Election?

Post #81

Post by AgnosticBoy »

historia wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:35 pm I suppose we could consider what the doctor who performed the surgery has to say. This is from an interview he gave to Politico last summer:
Caputo wrote:
The two brain aneurysms Biden suffered in 1988 were fully treated and he showed no signs of mental trouble as a result, said Dr. Neal Kassell, who performed the surgery on Biden three decades ago. Nor did Biden suffer any brain damage that could come back to haunt him in old age, Kassell said.

“He is every bit as sharp as he was 31 years ago. I haven’t seen any change,” Kassell said. “I can tell you with absolute certainty that he had no brain damage, either from the hemorrhage or from the operations that he had. There was no damage whatsoever.”
Look, Biden is old and he's had two brain aneurysms. Those are two big risk factors for cognitive decline and impairment. I'm not sure how you reconcile the doc's assessment with Biden not being able to remember the most commonly cited lines from the Declaration of Independence.

Biden's words during a Super Tuesday rally:
“We hold these truths to be self-evident. All men and women are created, by the, you know, you know the thing,”

This is unacceptable for a guy that has been in government that long. He should KNOW this like the back of his hand.

Not sure if you're a sports guy. But you know there are some athletes, and even greats (Brett Favre, Tom Brady, Michael Jordan, Tiger Woods, etc), that try to stay in the game longer than they should while everyone knows that they should retire? Well that's Biden when it comes to politics. He has been in office for 40+ years and has had 3 or 4 FAILED presidential runs. He's washed up. The Democrats aren't doing him any favors by letting him stay in government longer, and if anything he's going to damage himself even more.

If you love Joe let him go. Let him enjoy the comfort of his basement. :D

koko

Post #82

Post by koko »

Right wingers like to point at Biden and say his mental faculties are now too aged so that he cannot get the job done. In fact, Trump's incapacity is worse and has failed miserably. In fact, he is the worse president I have seen in my many years.

Still, Trump will "win" because the 200,000 Americans he has killed (and the tens of thousands now ill) through his incompetence are mostly seniors and poor people - the voting groups likelier to vote for Biden. Further, Trump has stolen many mailing boxes and will contrive to suppress many thousands of votes. He will do so with impunity as the courts will rig any appealed vote suppression cases.

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #83

Post by Bust Nak »

[Replying to koko in post #82]

Poor people yes, but aren't seniors more likely to vote for Trump? These figures are from 2016:

Age 50-64: 45/51 blue/red
Age 65+: 44/53 blue/red

koko

Post #84

Post by koko »

Bust Nak wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:27 pm [Replying to koko in post #82]

Poor people yes, but aren't seniors more likely to vote for Trump? These figures are from 2016:

Age 50-64: 45/51 blue/red
Age 65+: 44/53 blue/red

From what I've heard today, seniors were leaning more blue as Trump has reduced and may end the payroll tax. That would effectively bankrupt and destroy Social Security. The plague has also killed a disproportionate amount of seniors and it resulted from Trump's incompetence. According to local reports these things have made seniors lean blue. But that is subject to speculation and the actual numbers remain to be seen.

historia
Prodigy

Post #85

Post by historia »

[Replying to historia in post #1]

We're now less than 40 days before the election. Some states have already started early voting.

The interesting thing about this election is just how steady the polls have been. In recent presidential elections, the polls have often swung significantly toward one or the other candidate throughout the summer based on breaking news and the conventions.

We saw none of that this summer. Biden is still hovering around 50% in national polls, while Trump remains in the low 40s. That mirrors Trump's disapproval/approval rating almost exactly.

538's Election Forecast gives Biden 3:1 odds of winning.

koko

Post #86

Post by koko »

Texas governor conspires to steal voting facilities:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... s-election

Texas is already one of the hardest places in America to vote, and Greg Abbott, the Texas governor, on Thursday made it even harder.

The announcement from Abbott, a Republican, limits an executive order from July that made it modestly easier for voters to return their ballots during the pandemic. Texas usually only lets voters return their mail-in ballots in person on election day, but Abbott’s July order said voters could return their ballots in person to the election clerk’s office earlier. He also extended early voting by six days.

As a result, some of the biggest counties in the state had planned to offer voters multiple places to drop off their ballots. Harris county, the most populous in the state, planned to let voters return their ballots at 11 of the clerk’s annex offices around the county. Travis county, home of Austin, planned to offer four places to return their ballots ... But to force hundreds of thousands of seniors and voters with disabilities to use a single drop-off location in a county that stretches over nearly 2,000 sq miles is prejudicial and dangerous.”

No voting facility, no vote. This especially so in Democrat districts. Thus, no matter what the polls say, if the vote for Biden is not counted all the polls in the world are worthless.

Diagoras
Guru

Post #87

Post by Diagoras »

As I post, it's near midnight on Nov 2 in Washington, DC. I suppose now's a good a time as any to make a bold prediction about the future presidential election. :D

Biden - comfortably, is my prediction for 3 Nov

Biden - still comfortably, after weeks of acrimonious legal challenges by Republicans up and down the ballot, is my prediction for January 2021.

As a non-American, I watch the political contest with equal measures of amusement and horror. Very glad I live far away from the bitter tribalism and pandemic crisis that the USA is displaying to the world right now.

historia
Prodigy

Post #88

Post by historia »

historia wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:33 am
Early polls (137 days before the election) show Biden leading. But who wins comes November?
Alright, the 2020 election is over. Biden has won, and it looks like he will secure 306 electoral votes, the same number Trump received in 2016.

With regard to the poll in this thread, we never really defined what constituted a "close," "comfortable," or "landslide" win. Given the current polarization in American politics, a "landslide" win (along the lines of, say, Regan in 1984 or Nixon in 1972) is virtually impossible, so that was never a plausible choice for either candidate.

Given the close margin of victory for Biden in Georgia, Arizona, and Wisconsin, I would probably lean toward calling this a "close" win for Biden. So kudos to the two people who chose that option -- you called it.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #89

Post by JehovahsWitness »

historia wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:53 am
With regard to the poll in this thread, we never really defined what constituted a "close," "comfortable," or "landslide" win.
Since this is religion and political forum, I would like to share a quotation from a Watchtower article dating from way back in 2012 but was brought up in the context of a discssion of bible prophecies we believe involve the United States.

Thus close and controversial election results it seems will continue to be a feature of our times.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Tcg
Savant

Post #90

Post by Tcg »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:23 am
Since this is religion and political forum, I would like to share a quotation from a Watchtower article dating from way back in 2012 but was brought up in the context of a discssion of bible prophecies we believe involve the United States.
That's a most uncompelling argument given that the U.S. didn't exist when humans developed the many mythologies the Bible contains. It's authors had no concept of the lands that would once become the U.S.

Thus close and controversial election results it seems will continue to be a feature of our times.
This isn't any more compelling. Of course an apocalyptic modern branch of Christianity is going to make dire predictions about our political future. It shouldn't surprise us if on occasion some seem accurate at first glance. Of course as time passes we are finding that this election wasn't close. It's controversial nature is also being resolved as we find time and time again that Trump's claims about widespread voter fraud don't match reality.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom