Does Biden want to defund the police?

Two hot topics for the price of one

Moderator: Moderators

Elijah John
Savant

Does Biden want to defund the police?

Post #1

Post by Elijah John »

Does Joe Biden want to defund the police, or not?

He seems very ambiguous on this matter.
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

Elijah John
Savant

Re: Does Biden want to defund the police?

Post #2

Post by Elijah John »

Has Joe Biden taken a firm stand on the issue of defunding the police either way, and stuck to it?

-YHVH is LORD

bjs1
Sage

Post #3

Post by bjs1 »

In a USA Today op-ed Biden wrote, “While I do not believe federal dollars should go to police departments violating people’s rights or turning to violence as the first resort, I do not support defunding police. The better answer is to give police departments the resources they need to implement meaningful reforms, and to condition other federal dollars on completing those reforms."

That seems firm and unambiguous.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
-Charles Darwin

Deeogee
Student

Post #4

Post by Deeogee »

Joe Biden said in an interview Wednesday that some funding should “absolutely” be redirected from police, amid calls from some in his party to "defund the police" in the wake of the protests across the country.

Biden's campaign has said he does not support defunding the police. But in a Now This interview with activist Ady Barkan, the presumptive Democratic nominee said that police forces don’t need surplus military equipment, saying this is what leads them to “become the enemy” in a community.

“But do we agree that we can redirect some of the [police] funding?” Barkan asked Biden.

Yes, absolutely,” said the former vice president.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/biden- ... rom-police
You purified your souls in obeying the truth...being born again. (1Peter 1:22,23)

Elijah John
Savant

Post #5

Post by Elijah John »

bjs1 wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:06 pm In a USA Today op-ed Biden wrote, “While I do not believe federal dollars should go to police departments violating people’s rights or turning to violence as the first resort, I do not support defunding police. The better answer is to give police departments the resources they need to implement meaningful reforms, and to condition other federal dollars on completing those reforms."

That seems firm and unambiguous.
See post # 4 by Deeogee.

Biden equivocates. He is in a pickle. If he comes out too firmly against defunding, he risks alienating his Democrat base, which is becoming increaslingly radical by the day. (Witness the rise of Bernie Sanders, the "squad" and Beto for examples) But if he throws in too strongly with the radical elements of his party, he risks alienating Independents and (true) moderates which he needs to win.

-YHVH is LORD

AgnosticBoy
Guru

Post #6

Post by AgnosticBoy »

Elijah John wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:45 pm Does Joe Biden want to defund the police, or not?

I have not heard Biden wanting to defund the police but it is clear that a lot of the other Democrats wants to do it, including defunding ICE.

The question is will Biden resist the extreme forces of his party. Seeing how he appears to be declining mentally, I don't think he'll be running much of anything but instead will just become a figure head and eventually be overrun by the extreme people of his party.

Clownboat
Savant

Post #7

Post by Clownboat »

Elijah John wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:45 pm Does Joe Biden want to defund the police, or not?

Does it matter? It's not like Trump told people to drink disinfectant.

Reality doesn't always seem to affect the news being reported and people will believe whatever claim suits their interests. Whether that is Trump telling people to drink bleach or Biden saying he wants to defund the police. Many will hear what they want to hear, not what is said.

I could get behind some reform myself. If no reform, perhaps Lady Liberty need to return to France.
No one knows how many laws there are in the United States. Apparently, no one can count that high.

They’ve been accumulating, of course, for more than 200 years. When federal laws were first codified in 1927, they fit into a single volume. By the 1980s, there were 50 volumes of more than 23,000 pages.

And today? Online sources say that no one knows. The Internal Revenue Code alone, first codified in 1874, contains more than 3.4 million words and, if printed 60 lines to the page, is more than 7,500 pages long. There are about 20,000 laws just governing the use and ownership of guns.

New laws mean new crimes. From the start of 2000 through 2007, Congress had created at least 452 new crimes, so that at that time the total number of Federal crimes exceeded 4,450.

http://www.kowal.com/?q=How-Many-Federa ... e-There%3F

lib·er·ty
/ˈlibərdē/
noun
the state of being free within society from oppressive restrictions imposed by authority on one's way of life, behavior, or political views.
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb