Two hot topics for the price of one

Moderator: Moderators

Tcg
Savant

Trump's new approach: law-and-disorder

Post #1

Post by Tcg »

Federal Officers Hit Portland Mayor With Tear Gas

PORTLAND, Ore. — The mayor of Portland, Ted Wheeler, was left coughing and wincing in the middle of his own city Wednesday night after federal officers deployed tear gas into a crowd of protesters that Mr. Wheeler had joined outside the federal courthouse.
The city has become a target of President Trump, who has embraced a law-and-order message in his re-election campaign. While federal officers were deployed to Portland to purportedly quell unrest and protect federal property, their arrival has only galvanized the movement, with the numbers of protesters each night swelling into the thousands.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/23/us/p ... mayor.html
What are Trump's goals with this law-and-disorder?

What are the legal ramifications of Trump's use of Federal Agents not just against U.S. citizens, but also against one of our nation's mayors?

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

koko

Re: Trump's new approach: law-and-disorder

Post #11

Post by koko »

AgnosticBoy wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:14 pm [Replying to koko in post #4]

Even the Portland mayor admitted that the protestors are getting out of hand. I posted video of that in post 2. So much for your narrative of "peaceful" protests.

So in a lot of cases the Feds are more than justified to use force.

Yeah, getting out of hand so much that he put himself right in the middle of it. There goes your argument ...

AgnosticBoy
Guru

Post #12

Post by AgnosticBoy »

koko wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:05 am

Even the Portland mayor admitted that the protestors are getting out of hand. I posted video of that in post 2. So much for your narrative of "peaceful" protests.

Yeah, getting out of hand so much that he put himself right in the middle of it. There goes your argument ...
Yeah to try to reason with the violent mob. Have you read the Bible? Lot tried to reason with a violent mob (the Sodomites) in the same way.

koko

Post #13

Post by koko »

AgnosticBoy wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:28 am
koko wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:05 am

Yeah to try to reason with the violent mob. Have you read the Bible? Lot tried to reason with a violent mob (the Sodomites) in the same way.

I know the Bible better than you do. Sodom's problem was its injustices to the poor because they were the Republicans of their day: Ezekiel 16:49.

In the New Testament we are told to be at peace with ALL men: Romans 12:18. Try it some time.

koko

Post #14

Post by koko »

Portland police thugs injure peaceful protester:

Principled conservatives who condemn intrusive and abusive government should be outraged.

AgnosticBoy
Guru

Post #15

Post by AgnosticBoy »

koko wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:27 am I know the Bible better than you do. Sodom's problem was its injustices to the poor because they were the Republicans of their day: Ezekiel 16:49.
You are not holier than me if that's what you're implying. I used to read the Bible everyday and pray 3 times a day. I used to do so while facing Jerusalem now keep in mind that I'm in North America.

Do you eat pork? I don't.
koko wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:27 am In the New Testament we are told to be at peace with ALL men: Romans 12:18. Try it some time.
The Bible says to not rebel against your government. If these thugs protestors really wanted to make a difference then they'd go to the ballot box and cast their vote instead of causing mayhem in Portland.

koko

Post #16

Post by koko »

AgnosticBoy wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:50 pm
koko wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:27 am I know the Bible better than you do. Sodom's problem was its injustices to the poor because they were the Republicans of their day: Ezekiel 16:49.
You are not holier than me if that's what you're implying. I used to read the Bible everyday and pray 3 times a day. I used to do so while facing Jerusalem now keep in mind that I'm in North America.

Do you eat pork? I don't.
koko wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:27 am In the New Testament we are told to be at peace with ALL men: Romans 12:18. Try it some time.
The Bible says to not rebel against your government. If these thugs protestors really wanted to make a difference then they'd go to the ballot box and cast their vote instead of causing mayhem in Portland.

Holier than thou? Laughable. Not holier than anyone but I'll match my knowledge of the Bible against anyone. Congrats on not eating pork. Did you play football or wear leather shoes?

While the Bible teaches not to rebel against the government it also says to render unto Caesar what is his, including taxes. But that doesn't stop tax dodgers (like draft dodgers, one of whom is in the White House). In my years of working in the tax field, I came across many tax cheats who are right wingers. Such Pharisaism!

historia
Prodigy

Post #17

Post by historia »

Wootah wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:59 pm
These democrat run towns are deliberately allowing chaos in order to win an election.
Wootah wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:41 am
I think be an individual and look at policies and stop demonising and scapegoating.
I'm having a hard time squaring these two comments, Wootah.