New York Times: White House reached out to South Dakota governor about adding Trump to Mount Rushmore

Two hot topics for the price of one

Moderator: Moderators

Tcg
Savant

New York Times: White House reached out to South Dakota governor about adding Trump to Mount Rushmore

Post #1

Post by Tcg »

I wasn't sure whether to add this subject here or on the "Just for Giggles" thread. Perhaps beyond the humor, this reveals a serious problem that should not be ignored.

Washington (CNN) - White House aides reached out to South Dakota Gov. Kristi Noem last year about the process of adding additional presidents to Mount Rushmore, the New York Times reported.

According to a person familiar who spoke with the Times, Noem then greeted Trump when he arrived in the state for his July Fourth celebrations at the monument with a four-foot replica of Mount Rushmore that included his face.

Noem has noted before Trump's "dream" to have his face on Mount Rushmore, the Coolidge-era sculpture that features the 60-foot-tall faces of Presidents George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Abraham Lincoln and Theodore Roosevelt.

According to a 2018 interview with Noem, the two struck up a conversation about the sculpture in the Oval Office during their first meeting, where she initially thought he was joking. "I started laughing," she said. "He wasn't laughing, so he was totally serious."

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/09/politics ... index.html
In spite of Trump's recent displays of following Christianity, is this totally self absorbed goal a clear sign that Trump views himself as some sort of a political savior?

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Miles
Savant

Re: New York Times: White House reached out to South Dakota governor about adding Trump to Mount Rushmore

Post #2

Post by Miles »

Tcg wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:08 pm .
I wasn't sure whether to add this subject here or on the "Just for Giggles" thread. Perhaps beyond the humor, this reveals a serious problem that should not be ignored.

Washington (CNN) - White House aides reached out to South Dakota Gov. Kristi Noem last year about the process of adding additional presidents to Mount Rushmore, the New York Times reported.

According to a person familiar who spoke with the Times, Noem then greeted Trump when he arrived in the state for his July Fourth celebrations at the monument with a four-foot replica of Mount Rushmore that included his face.

Noem has noted before Trump's "dream" to have his face on Mount Rushmore, the Coolidge-era sculpture that features the 60-foot-tall faces of Presidents George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Abraham Lincoln and Theodore Roosevelt.

According to a 2018 interview with Noem, the two struck up a conversation about the sculpture in the Oval Office during their first meeting, where she initially thought he was joking. "I started laughing," she said. "He wasn't laughing, so he was totally serious."
In spite of Trump's recent displays of following Christianity, is this totally self absorbed goal a clear sign that Trump views himself as some sort of a political savior?

Overcomer
Guru

Re: New York Times: White House reached out to South Dakota governor about adding Trump to Mount Rushmore

Post #3

Post by Overcomer »

It's ludicrous indeed!

I do love the picture of the current Mount Rushmore presidents reacting to the idea. It looks like Washington and Jefferson are about to vomit.

I'm thinking Trump might stand more of a chance of having a stone likeness of himself join the statues on Easter Island.

Miles
Savant

Post #4

Post by Miles »

Overcomer wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:34 am It's ludicrous indeed!

I do love the picture of the current Mount Rushmore presidents reacting to the idea. It looks like Washington and Jefferson are about to vomit.

I'm thinking Trump might stand more of a chance of having a stone likeness of himself join the statues on Easter Island.
I believe there already is.

koko

Post #5

Post by koko »

The Bible indicates that the Antichrist would call himself "The Chosen" which is what Trump. Incredibly, the right wing has been silent rather than to criticize him over those unbiblical words. You have to wonder, when will right wingers who proclaim themselves to be good Christians actually learn to practice what their holy book tells them to do???