YOU'RE FIRED!

Two hot topics for the price of one

Moderator: Moderators

Miles
Savant

YOU'RE FIRED!

Post #1

Post by Miles »

Joe Biden, now with 279 electoral votes and Trump with only 213 or 214 electoral votes (depends on whom your watching) is the clear President Elect of the U.S.A..

Trump received the news while golfing in Florida. (Where else would he be?)

Upon hearing of Biden's 279 electoral votes. . . .

“Frankly, we did win this election.” * "Yup." "You sure did your highness." "yes siree!"

"Shortly before his defeat by Joe Biden was called, and with the nation deeply divided, Donald Trump began his Saturday by tweeting inflammatory and unsubstantiated claims about voter fraud. Then he went to play golf.

The president, the White House pool reporter wrote, appeared for the motorcade to his course in Sterling, Virginia “wearing white Maga cap, windbreaker, dark slacks, non-dress shirt, shoes that look appropriate for golfing”.

Trump’s dedication to playing golf while in office has been a source of continuing controversy – particularly because he memorably and repeatedly lambasted his predecessor, Barack Obama, over how often he played the game."
source

And

"Trump Was Golfing When He Lost the Presidency"
Where were you when you found out the 2020 presidential election was called for Joe Biden? I was at home, blogging. My neighbors appear to have been “at the store, shopping for airhorns.” We know where President Trump was: at the golf course. According to the Associated Press, Trump left for his golf course in Virginia earlier this morning and hasn’t yet come back.

Thoughts and prayers for his caddie."
source

And Trump's response?

"Donald Trump is refusing to concede the presidential election to Joe Biden even after the Associated Press, and every US television news network, declared him the president-elect, saying the race is “far from over” and promising an intense legal fight.

“The simple fact is this election is far from over. Joe Biden has not been certified as the winner of any states, let alone any of the highly contested states headed for mandatory recounts, or states where our campaign has valid and legitimate legal challenges that could determine the ultimate victor,” the president said in a statement, released by his campaign.

“Beginning Monday, our campaign will start prosecuting our case in court to ensure election laws are fully upheld and the rightful winner is seated. The American people are entitled to an honest election: that means counting all legal ballots, and not counting any illegal ballots,” he said, continuing to claim there is widespread voter fraud but without evidence."
source

So, kind members, how do you think Trump will be handling his defeat in the coming months. Will he actually go ahead with an "intense legal fight"? Will he welcome the Bidens into the White House in January as is the custom? Will he even attend Biden's inauguration? Some TV pundits are doubtful.

*source

AgnosticBoy
Guru

Re: YOU'RE FIRED!

Post #201

Post by AgnosticBoy »

The Barbarian wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:45 am
AgnosticBoy wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:37 am You mean they don't support the reason or intent of some Republicans to use it to suppress votes. I favor voter ID for other reasons and so do the other 79.9% of Americans.
That was the case in 2016, when that many Americans approved it. As you just learned, a majority of Americans now consider voter suppression to be a greater concern than voter ID. For the reasons we documented here; subsequent investigations have shown fraudulent voting to be very rare, and voter ID laws have been show to be crafted to suppress voting by minorities.
The latest studies on suppression show NO suppression. So applying your standard of the most recent study, I've disproved your suppression myth.

Youre also assuming the 80% that favor voter id would view voter id as suppression. I'm against voter suppression but I also want ID. Besides that, your source isn't all or nothing as if those who worry more about suppression have absolutely no concern for security. They weigh in BOTH issues. Perhaps for some, two percent negative effect in SOME studies is not enough to scrap voter ID completely.

By the way, bringing up Republicans as a response to my points is a red herring.
- Proud forum owner ∣ The Agnostic Forum

- As a non-partisan, I like to be on the side of truth. - AB

The Barbarian
Sage

Post #202

Post by The Barbarian »

AgnosticBoy wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:52 pm You mean they don't support the reason or intent of some Republicans to use it to suppress votes. I favor voter ID for other reasons and so do the other 79.9% of Americans.
That was the case in 2016, when that many Americans approved it. As you just learned, a majority of Americans now consider voter suppression to be a greater concern than voter ID. For the reasons we documented here; subsequent investigations have shown fraudulent voting to be very rare, and voter ID laws have been show to be crafted to suppress voting by minorities.
The latest studies on suppression show NO suppression.
No, that's wrong. As you also learned, the GAO study showed significant suppression from ID laws. No point in denying it. Should I show you again?

Applying your standard of the most recent study, I've disproved your denial of suppression.
I'm against voter suppression but I also want ID.
So let's test that claim. Do you support Georgia's new ID law, or not? Do you agree that it should be a crime to give water to someone waiting to vote? Do youi support the republicans in Arizona who claim that not every qualified voter should be allowed to vote?
Perhaps for some, two percent negative effect in SOME studies is not enough to scrap voter ID completely.
The GAO found two to three percent. And it's a red herring for you to claim that we must disenfranchise three percent of qualified voters if we want voter ID. We already have voter ID in all states. As you learned, it caught the few actual cases of fraudulent voting. As you now realize, the point of voter ID laws is to keep minorities from voting. I've shown you that republicans even occasionally admit the fact. America turned away from them because of their increasingly radical ideas, and so their solution is to keep the "wrong" people from voting.
By the way, bringing up Republicans as a response to my points is a red herring.
Well, let's see if you answer my question. And then everyone will know.

AgnosticBoy
Guru

Post #203

Post by AgnosticBoy »

The Barbarian wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:00 am
AgnosticBoy wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:52 pm You mean they don't support the reason or intent of some Republicans to use it to suppress votes. I favor voter ID for other reasons and so do the other 79.9% of Americans.
Being of "greater" concern does not mean no concern. Show me an updated poll that specifically defines or includes voter ID requirement as being voter suppression, and of course one that shows the percentage that favors it or not. If you can't do that, then I can only consider your view as your interpretation, especially in light of my survey that specifically addresses voter id.
The Barbarian wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:00 am
AgnosticBoy wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:52 pmThe latest studies on suppression show NO suppression.
No, that's wrong. As you also learned, the GAO study showed significant suppression from ID laws. No point in denying it. Should I show you again?
My studies are follow ups. Seems you don't want to apply your standard consistently.

Either way, I think given recent stimulus checks, more people would have enough money to get an ID than a decade ago. In other words, voter id might have been a big barrier back then but that no longer exist as a barrier unless you choose not to get an ID.

The Barbarian
Sage

Post #204

Post by The Barbarian »

AgnosticBoy wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:52 pm I'm against voter suppression but I also want ID.
So let's test that claim. Do you support Georgia's new ID law, or not? Do you agree that it should be a crime to give water to someone waiting to vote? Do you support the republicans in Arizona who claim that not every qualified voter should be allowed to vote?

(Declines to answer)

So now we all know. Thank you.

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #205

Post by Bust Nak »

AgnosticBoy wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:42 am ...more people would have enough money to get an ID than a decade ago...
That's a big no no - charging money for an ID to vote is literally poll tax.

thomasdixon
Apprentice

Post #206

Post by thomasdixon »

The Barbarian wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:23 pm By the way, bringing up Republicans as a response to my points is a red herring.
The Republicon Party is now on life support
The Doctor on staff in the emergency room states---
.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.I only hear incoherent words, a mumbling of sorts
.,,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,The eyes are glazed over, sight is fading fast

By the mid-terms the Republicon will be unable to walk alone
By 2024 the Repubs will need a marrow transplant to survive

The only matching donor available is Bibi
Bibi’s response is, convert to Zionism or DIE you morons
The Barbarian wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:23 pmSo now we all know. Thank you.
you are welcome 8-)

AgnosticBoy
Guru

Post #207

Post by AgnosticBoy »

The issue for voter ID, assuming that minorities have a problem affording one (as opposed to not caring for one for those who don't have one), should not be to allow people to vote without ID. A much better solution is to offer IDs free of charge to those who can't afford it. Both parties have failed when the argument is centered on whether or not to have ID, as opposed to just getting everyone an ID. NOt requiring an ID is just plain dumb, and just allowing people to go without an ID or not even finding out why they don't have one is just plain negligence on the part of our leaders.

In an age of ID fraud and many other security threats (forget just worrying about voter fraud), everyone should be required to have an ID.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #208

Post by JoeyKnothead »

AgnosticBoy wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:08 am The issue for voter ID, assuming that minorities have a problem affording one (as opposed to not caring for one for those who don't have one), should not be to allow people to vote without ID. A much better solution is to offer IDs free of charge to those who can't afford it.
Agreed, when ya gotta pay for an ID, and ya gotta have an ID to vote, that's a poll tax, and poll taxes are wrong.

But beyond that, there's also the issue of some folks, through no fault of their own, not having the required forms of ID, to, now get this, get an ID. I'm thinking here more of the older generation/s, those in rural reas, and such, where documentation is difficult to impossible to come by. I really don't have an answer here - cept to propose some cutoff age, where it's assumed the 'younger' folk would have sufficient data to support their ID claims.

Both parties have failed when the argument is centered on whether or not to have ID, as opposed to just getting everyone an ID. NOt requiring an ID is just plain dumb, and just allowing people to go without an ID or not even finding out why they don't have one is just plain negligence on the part of our leaders.
I reject the use of "dumb" here as a slur. Some folks think that by one's being human, that is their ID.
In an age of ID fraud and many other security threats (forget just worrying about voter fraud), everyone should be required to have an ID.
The greatest fraud from the most recent US election wasn't folks without IDs, it was the guy who lost running around declaring voter fraud (on a tide turning scale) without evidence.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

AgnosticBoy
Guru

Post #209

Post by AgnosticBoy »

Instead of just making it easier to vote, we need to also make it easier to run for office. If the latter happened, then perhaps we can break up the Democrat-Republican monopoly on our political system.

Diogenes
Guru

Post #210

Post by Diogenes »

One of the biggest problems is the evangelical voting block. They are so easily duped (or only care about 'abortion') they will vote for the lamest, most dangerous candidates, including those who represent the exact opposite of their claimed beliefs.Image

Before You Embark On A Journey Of Revenge, Dig Two Graves

— Confucius