Two hot topics for the price of one

Moderator: Moderators

Paul of Tarsus
Banned
Banned

Democracy, Trump, and Christian Faith

Post #1

Post by Paul of Tarsus »

As we should know, the US Capitol Building has been attacked by alleged Trump supporters. Our sitting president, an avowed Christian, allegedly encouraged the attack. Some world leaders have spoken in public about the rioters. For example, Iranian president Hassan Rouhani says western democracy is brittle and weak.

I agree! One fact about this whole affair is that all of it came about within American-style democracy. Trump was voted into office, voted out of office, and the result is chaos. In our democracy we have people hating other people and committing acts of violence as a result of elections. Our democratic ideals have badly divided us.

Is any of this mayhem good, or do we need to revamp our government?

2ndRateMind
Site Supporter

Re: Democracy, Trump, and Christian Faith

Post #21

Post by 2ndRateMind »

Can't honestly see how Trump might be considered a democrat, or a Christian. None of his words, or deeds, lead me to such a conclusion, anyway. If you have a different view, by all means enlighten me. I'm interested more than the current petty issue around his impeachment, but rather in what the IRS makes of his tax returns, now he is accountable as a private citizen again.

Best wishes, 2RM.
Non omnes qui errant pereunt
Not all who wander are lost

Wootah
Savant

Post #22

Post by Wootah »

2ndRateMind wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:14 am Can't honestly see how Trump might be considered a democrat, or a Christian. None of his words, or deeds, lead me to such a conclusion, anyway. If you have a different view, by all means enlighten me. I'm interested more than the current petty issue around his impeachment, but rather in what the IRS makes of his tax returns, now he is accountable as a private citizen again.

Best wishes, 2RM.
https://www.thoughtco.com/was-donald-tr ... at-3367571
When Donald Trump Was a Democrat
It turns out you don't have to look far to find evidence that Trump wasn't always a conservative Republican. Trump was registered as a Democrat for more than eight years in the 2000s, according to New York City voter records made public during his 2016 campaign for president.

Trump owned up to his years with the other party and told CNN's Wolf Blitzer in 2004 that he identified with Democrats during that time because they were more adept at handling the economy:

"It just seems that the economy does better under the Democrats than the Republicans. Now, it shouldn't be that way. But if you go back, I mean it just seems that the economy does better under the Democrats....But certainly we had some very good economies under Democrats, as well as Republicans. But we've had some pretty bad disasters under the Republicans."
Trump was a registered Democrat from August 2001 through September 2009.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

2ndRateMind
Site Supporter

Post #23

Post by 2ndRateMind »

Wootah wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:41 pm
2ndRateMind wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:14 am Can't honestly see how Trump might be considered a democrat, or a Christian. None of his words, or deeds, lead me to such a conclusion, anyway. If you have a different view, by all means enlighten me. I'm interested more than the current petty issue around his impeachment, but rather in what the IRS makes of his tax returns, now he is accountable as a private citizen again.

Best wishes, 2RM.
https://www.thoughtco.com/was-donald-tr ... at-3367571
When Donald Trump Was a Democrat
It turns out you don't have to look far to find evidence that Trump wasn't always a conservative Republican. Trump was registered as a Democrat for more than eight years in the 2000s, according to New York City voter records made public during his 2016 campaign for president.

Trump owned up to his years with the other party and told CNN's Wolf Blitzer in 2004 that he identified with Democrats during that time because they were more adept at handling the economy:

"It just seems that the economy does better under the Democrats than the Republicans. Now, it shouldn't be that way. But if you go back, I mean it just seems that the economy does better under the Democrats....But certainly we had some very good economies under Democrats, as well as Republicans. But we've had some pretty bad disasters under the Republicans."
Trump was a registered Democrat from August 2001 through September 2009.
Yes, I wasn't talking about Trump's party affiliation (eg, Democrat with a capital D), and which seems to be a matter of expediency rather than loyalty, so far a he is concerned. I was talking more in terms of his allegiance to the ideal of democracy (democrat with a small d) as a type and method of government. But thank you for insisting that I clarify.

Best wishes, 2RM.
Non omnes qui errant pereunt
Not all who wander are lost

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #24

Post by TRANSPONDER »

I'm coming in a bit late to this one, but it seems the thread for maybe an outside look.

I'm outside of America. A Brit, as some might have guessed. And we really are, by and large, one of America's most staunch supporters.

You can imagine the horror with which we have watched what has been happening. And it is not that new either. Trump and a whole raft of his supporters don't care tuppence about religion. Religion is just a card they play to get support. We have seen anti - science and a preference for personal beliefs or, rather ,party Dogma that become articles of faith. Even when irrefutable evidence is presented, they dismiss it. It is all fake. It is all lies. It was a put -up job. Those photos of a round earth from space were all fakes to discredit me.
We've heard it before.

But this isn't new. It goes back to the Tea party and global warming denial, particularly. And there was always the Bible being waved about as support for science denial. and even that isn't new. It goes back to McCarthyism, and the religious pushback against evolution theory.

This had been Half of America's voting demographic for a long time and where I've been involved is in the pushback against Religious fundamentalism and Creationism, ever since the 1980's when I/C (DNA is mechanical, It is a software program) was being pushed.

The name of the game has been control of the media and cancelling anyone who says otherwise. And not just in America. They are all seeing that control of the internet is a guarantee of continued power.

The amount of denialist support for nonsense, conspiracy theories and lies is quite shocking though, after all we've seen, it's not That surprising since the US people have been trained in faith -based denial of fact for decades. Just as in other countries the people have been trained to believe and approve whatever the Official Mouth tells them . But there are signs that (in the US Right at least) people are beginning to see their claims, predictions and prophecies fail before their eyes. Prophecy works by making it ten or twenty years in the future, so when it doesn't happen, everyone has forgotten :) When you make a string of failed predictions in a few months with everyone counting, some have got to start asking the unthinkable.

"Are we the sheeple?"

If the GoP realised enough that it was hi -jacked by the Tea party and even they may have been trumped by a personal profit cabal, and yet now Trumpism has been retrumped by a science - denial conspiracy -theory cult. If they can shed that or minimise it as a sideline, the GoP may mend itself. But not while Science - denialist religious fundamentalists are elected. And far too many of them are.

I wish America the best and I'm rooting for them and if I were religious I'd be praying for you. But since I'm one of the goddless, I'll just say...it's in your own hands.