JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Christian forcing others to push their beliefs

Post #1

Post by JoeyKnothead »

From the article here
atheists.org wrote: ...
Since 2019, the standard Mississippi license plate has included “In God We Trust.” Car owners are forced to promote this religious statement or pay an additional fee for a specialty plate without it. For trailer, RV, and motorcycle owners, motorists with disabilities, as well as drivers with a custom plate message, no alternative to the “In God We Trust” plate is available. In the lawsuit, American Atheists demands that Mississippi offer a plate without “In God We Trust” at no additional fee.
For debate:

Should Christians be allowed to force others to do their evangelical work for them?
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Re: Christian forcing others to push their beliefs

Post #11

Post by JoeyKnothead »

benchwarmer wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:54 pm [Replying to JoeyKnothead in post #1]

Can you imagine the righteous fury if the shoe was on the other foot?

Standard license plate: In Zeus we trust

For a $25 fee: <no message>

I would imagine the number of Christians complaining would be deafening.

To answer the OP, no, no religious organization should get free state sponsorship/evangelization.
Not to worry, PurpleKnight has given us the answer...

Just pay the fee and let the Christians trample the Constitution, and the rights of atheists any damned way they please.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

historia
Prodigy

Post #12

Post by historia »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:45 am
Should Christians be allowed to force others to do their evangelical work for them?
No, but neither does this case -- where Mississippi has included their state seal on their license plates -- appear to do that.

This lawsuit will almost certainly be struck down by the courts.

Tcg
Savant

Post #13

Post by Tcg »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:45 am From the article here
atheists.org wrote: ...
Since 2019, the standard Mississippi license plate has included “In God We Trust.” Car owners are forced to promote this religious statement or pay an additional fee for a specialty plate without it. For trailer, RV, and motorcycle owners, motorists with disabilities, as well as drivers with a custom plate message, no alternative to the “In God We Trust” plate is available. In the lawsuit, American Atheists demands that Mississippi offer a plate without “In God We Trust” at no additional fee.
For debate:

There should be an option for, "In God We Trust to relieve our fear that death is final even though there is no evidence that God exists or that there is any Life After Death." Of course you'd need a really big license plate or really small print. Here's a novel idea, how about we simply put some unique numbers and the name of the state on these plates. I'm sure that in Mississippi one can find some church or group or organization pushing religious nonsense if they care to hear it. No need to force it on innocent drivers.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom