Moderator: Moderators

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Tennessee bans atheists from office

Post #1

Post by JoeyKnothead »

From the articlehere:
Tennessean.com wrote: Preachers and atheists are both banned from holding public office by the antiquated state Constitution. State Sen. Mark Pody’s proposal to amend the Constitution unjustly seeks to bar discrimination against ministers while leaving intact the equally pernicious prohibition against atheists serving the people of Tennessee. The Senate passed the proposal unanimously in mid-April.
For debate:

Should theists have exclusive rights to hold public office?
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

The Barbarian
Sage

Re: Tennessee bans atheists from office

Post #31

Post by The Barbarian »

The First Amendment to the Constitution banned religious tests for office. But only on the Federal level. States were still free to do so until the Fourteenth Amendment which requires states to comply with the Bill of Rights.

So no, states are not free to ban anyone from any office on any religious grounds. Legislators are free to strut and shout, and pass any law they like. But such laws have no more force than if they screamed at the moon to go away.

And they know this. Such bills are only there to troll for the votes of stupid people. Who often tip elections one way or another.

The Barbarian
Sage

Post #32

Post by The Barbarian »

It's one of those laws that no one will change because it panders to popular prejudice, but will never be enforced, because an appeal to higher courts would result in it being tossed out.

It's like "In God we trust" on coins. It comforts those who want state religion, but doesn't really bother people who don't.

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #33

Post by Purple Knight »

The Barbarian wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:54 pm It's one of those laws that no one will change because it panders to popular prejudice, but will never be enforced, because an appeal to higher courts would result in it being tossed out.
In this case though it does have an effect. In order to get the law overturned, an atheist would have to run, win, and be barred from being sworn in. Arguably, because of the law, that's even less likely to happen than it would be without the law.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #34

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Purple Knight wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:56 pm
The Barbarian wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:54 pm It's one of those laws that no one will change because it panders to popular prejudice, but will never be enforced, because an appeal to higher courts would result in it being tossed out.
In this case though it does have an effect. In order to get the law overturned, an atheist would have to run, win, and be barred from being sworn in. Arguably, because of the law, that's even less likely to happen than it would be without the law.
Nor can we dismiss how overturning Roe led to "dead laws" being enforced.

For me, it's the fact the law exists, not whether or not it's enforced.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

The Barbarian
Sage

Post #35

Post by The Barbarian »

Purple Knight wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:56 pm
Seems to me, that popular prejudice against atheists would be sufficient. In many states, a publicly-professed atheist just wouldn't be elected.

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #36

Post by boatsnguitars »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:00 pm I think what's kinda disturbingly telling here, is no Christian has felt the need to comment about this clearly discriminatory law.

I reckon long as they control the levers of power, they'll keep hushed when discrimination works in their favor.
It's always been about the power - and the diddling of kids - for the religious.

I can't help but notice, those are some of the same States that have the worst economies, and worst social problems. Seems they need some good atheist ideas there, instead of trying to use Mosaic laws to run the show...
“And do you think that unto such as you
A maggot-minded, starved, fanatic crew
God gave a secret, and denied it me?
Well, well—what matters it? Believe that, too!”
― Omar Khayyâm