JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Y'all ain't gonna believe thisn

Post #1

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Y'all gonna believe this'n...

From the article here
The city of Chesapeake, Virginia is about to slap "In God We Trust" stickers on all city-owned vehicles in a bizarre attempt to force unity using the most divisive thing imaginable: religion.

On Tuesday, members of the City Council unanimously agreed to the roughly $87,000 plan which would see the decals added whenever the vehicles go in for their next scheduled maintenance appointment.
Carey said he wanted decals on city vehicles to "quell divisive rhetoric", and begin to unify people along racial and political lines.
For debate:

Should taxpayer dollars be used to promote religious beliefs in an effort to support unity?
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

Difflugia
Prodigy

Re: Y'all ain't gonna believe thisn

Post #2

Post by Difflugia »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:02 pmY'all ain't gonna believe this'n...
I lived in Virginia for a while. This is nothing.
JoeyKnothead wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:02 pmShould taxpayer dollars be used to promote religious beliefs in an effort to support unity?
No. I've been pretty happy with the way the Establishment Clause has been interpreted for the most part and think it should stay that way. Enforced unity is sort of what that amendment aims to prevent.
My pronouns are he, him, and his.

Tcg
Savant

Post #3

Post by Tcg »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:02 pm Y'all gonna believe this'n...

From the article here
The city of Chesapeake, Virginia is about to slap "In God We Trust" stickers on all city-owned vehicles in a bizarre attempt to force unity using the most divisive thing imaginable: religion.

On Tuesday, members of the City Council unanimously agreed to the roughly $87,000 plan which would see the decals added whenever the vehicles go in for their next scheduled maintenance appointment.
Carey said he wanted decals on city vehicles to "quell divisive rhetoric", and begin to unify people along racial and political lines.
For debate:

Should taxpayer dollars be used to promote religious beliefs in an effort to support unity?
I'm astounded that anyone would think that pushing belief in God would promote unity. Just look at Judaism, Islam, and Christianity. They all claim to be following the same God and there is no unity amongst them. Even if we narrow it down to just Christians. They seem to be following the same version of that God and yet can't reach unity.

In some cases it seems they can't even reach agreement on the most meaningless of doctrines. "Is this cracker the literal body of Christ or simply a representative of his body?" What possible difference could the answer make and yet this issue has divided them for centuries.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #4

Post by Purple Knight »

You know what I think about this: There are bigger fish to fry. It's like complaining of an ant bite while people are melting to death in vats of acid.

I will say that I have always thought that the use of the word "we" in this string of words is off-putting, however. If it means we the government, then it's a violation of the First but I don't really mind. If "we" is attempting to mean "also you" then I find it not wrong either legally and morally, but nonetheless pushy and rude. No, I don't. Go away.