Moderator: Moderators

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Some Christians refuse to follow our laws

Post #1

Post by JoeyKnothead »

From the article here...
NPR wrote: CHARLESTON, W.Va. — A group of parents and students are suing a West Virginia school district for allowing an evangelical preacher to hold a religious revival assembly during the school day earlier this month that some students were required to attend.
For debate:

Should Christians be allowed to corral up students in our public schools for Christian indoctrination?
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Re: Some Christians refuse to follow our laws

Post #2

Post by JoeyKnothead »

I can only wonder how much pearl clutching'd take place if it was them Muslims that did it.
-Punkinhead Martin

Athetotheist
Prodigy

Post #3

Post by Athetotheist »

[Replying to JoeyKnothead in post #1
Question: Should Christians be allowed to corral up students in our public schools for Christian indoctrination?

Answer: Absolutely not.

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #4

Post by Purple Knight »

Should they be allowed to? No.

Should they? Yes.

The simple reason is that they believe they are right. They believe they're saving people.

It's why a pluralistic society requires cognitive dissonance on the part of the People. Everybody thinks they're right but in practice they're going to have to behave as if the other guy (in this case the school) is right.

That's not to say a pluralistic society turns out bad. I don't think it does. I think it has an advantage if it's drawing from all these diverse intellectual positions.

Secularism in education serves in this way. But the trouble is, if your religion is actually right, then secularism is wrong. And you wouldn't be that religion if you didn't believe it was right.

You can't reconcile Christian theology about being saved and about Heaven and Hell with a philosophy that prevents children from being taught that in school. It's unsurprising that they sometimes try to break the law in this way. From where they sit, the law is wrong, the law is hurting people, perhaps even helping people get sent to Hell.

bjs1
Sage

Post #5

Post by bjs1 »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 3:08 pm From the article here...
NPR wrote: CHARLESTON, W.Va. — A group of parents and students are suing a West Virginia school district for allowing an evangelical preacher to hold a religious revival assembly during the school day earlier this month that some students were required to attend.
For debate:

Should Christians be allowed to corral up students in our public schools for Christian indoctrination?
This event was debated on this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=39054

The quote from NPR leaves out a lot if pertinent information. This was a voluntary assembly during a time in the school week set aside for student groups to invite in outside speakers. No one was corralled. Two teachers mistakenly instructed their students to attend the assembly, but later realized their mistake and apologized.

The title of this thread is "Some Christians refuse to follow our laws." The reality is that these Christians did follow our laws and denying them the same rights given to other groups would be an example of refusing to follow our laws.

In another thread Historia cited the legal guidance that pertains to this issue.
historia wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 6:15 pm as voluntary religious clubs and meetings at public schools are allowed during non-instructional time. See this guidance from the U.S. Department of Education.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
-Charles Darwin

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #6

Post by JoeyKnothead »

bjs1 wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 11:49 pm
JoeyKnothead wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 3:08 pm From the article here...
For debate:

This event was debated on this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=39054

The quote from NPR leaves out a lot if pertinent information. This was a voluntary assembly during a time in the school week set aside for student groups to invite in outside speakers. No one was corralled. Two teachers mistakenly instructed their students to attend the assembly, but later realized their mistake and apologized.

The title of this thread is "Some Christians refuse to follow our laws." The reality is that these Christians did follow our laws and denying them the same rights given to other groups would be an example of refusing to follow our laws.

In another thread Historia cited the legal guidance that pertains to this issue.
historia wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 6:15 pm as voluntary religious clubs and meetings at public schools are allowed during non-instructional time. See this guidance from the U.S. Department of Education.
I preciate the correction.

Next time though, do it by PM :tongue:
-Punkinhead Martin

Abigail
Student

Post #7

Post by Abigail »

[Replying to JoeyKnothead in post #1]
I don't think it should be compulsory to attend, no.

However, perhaps this was done because there are outside groups that are allowed to make a presentation at a student assembly, and from what I understand these are compulsory, that pertain to secular often incendiary topics. Perhaps out of a sense of fair play this religious assembly was also made compulsory.
LGBT Is OK in Schools — but a W.Va. Christian Revival Assembly Sparks a Walkout
by Admin February 12, 2022
“In politics, nothing happens by accident. If it happens, you can bet it was planned that way.” *Attributed to President Franklin D. Roosevelt, though this is debated.

Wootah
Savant

Post #8

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to JoeyKnothead in post #1]

The right to sue so often and easily seems absurd. I think there has to be higher penalties if you sue and lose perhaps.

Schools do X. As a parent, I talk to my kid and ask what happened and discuss things that happen at school and combat the secular nonsense as best I can. Can't others do the same and ultimately vote with their wallet and their feet?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #9

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Wootah wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:02 am [Replying to JoeyKnothead in post #1]

The right to sue so often and easily seems absurd. I think there has to be higher penalties if you sue and lose perhaps.

Schools do X. As a parent, I talk to my kid and ask what happened and discuss things that happen at school and combat the secular nonsense as best I can. Can't others do the same and ultimately vote with their wallet and their feet?
I preciate your sensible approach here.

However, not everyone can afford to, or should be forced to hafta move when those in power decide to disregard the law.
-Punkinhead Martin

Wootah
Savant

Post #10

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to JoeyKnothead in post #9]

Yes no one can. Just suck it up is my point. We all have to on a range of topics.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."