Madness

Two hot topics for the price of one

Moderator: Moderators

Sherlock Holmes

Madness

Post #1

Post by Sherlock Holmes »

Should the West ostracize Russians on the basis that Ukraine is under attack by Russia?

For example: Alexander Malofeev

bjs1
Sage

Re: Madness

Post #11

Post by bjs1 »

Purple Knight wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:57 pm
bjs1 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 5:42 pmI am not saying that the West is without fault, but you have called these far less severe acts "madness" and "reprehensible" while using subdued language to describe the Russian invasion. Why is that?
Maybe it's because two wrongs don't make a right and because Alexander Whatshisname didn't do anything wrong.

In any other case, treating citizens as responsible for what their country does would be called out as reprehensible, discriminatory, and evil.

In fact, treating any individual, ever, as responsible for what they did not do would be called out as reprehensible, discriminatory, and evil.

Full disclosure: I believe individualism is a luxury, not a right. But I think it's the First Luxury with capitals F and L. I think it's the first and only thing civilisation should consider buying when it can afford such luxuries, as soon as it can, and to the exclusion of all else, because it is that certainty that unless you do anything wrong, you won't be punished, that builds the trust on which anything greater than mud huts are built.
No one is saying that two wrongs make a right. Rather, I am saying that rhetoric is out of balance.

Russia has invaded a sovereign nation. Russia has killed Ukraine citizens, including children. That is reprehensible and evil. We need to apply this words rightly to the Russian invasion of the Ukraine before we even consider a more moderate condemnation for canceling Malofeev's concert.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
-Charles Darwin

bjs1
Sage

Post #12

Post by bjs1 »

[Replying to Sherlock Holmes in post #8]

Yes, Israel has violated a number of UN resolution concerning Palestine, just as Palestinians have violently attacked Israelis on many occasions.

What make the situation in the Ukraine different is that Russia is the sole aggressor.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
-Charles Darwin

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #13

Post by Purple Knight »

bjs1 wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:55 pmNo one is saying that two wrongs make a right. Rather, I am saying that rhetoric is out of balance.

Russia has invaded a sovereign nation. Russia has killed Ukraine citizens, including children. That is reprehensible and evil. We need to apply this words rightly to the Russian invasion of the Ukraine before we even consider a more moderate condemnation for canceling Malofeev's concert.
Why? It's also reprehensible and evil to hurt people for what they did not do.

That's the only reason the Russian invasion is wrong in the first place. If we assume it's permissible to hurt people for what they didn't do and that this should only be moderately condemned then tsk tsk Russia, you hurt people who didn't do anything wrong, shame on you.
bjs1 wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:58 pm [Replying to Sherlock Holmes in post #8]

Yes, Israel has violated a number of UN resolution concerning Palestine, just as Palestinians have violently attacked Israelis on many occasions.

What make the situation in the Ukraine different is that Russia is the sole aggressor.
Give it 20 years with no international condemnation or intervention and the Ukrainians will turn terrorist too.

Athetotheist
Prodigy

Post #14

Post by Athetotheist »

[Replying to Sherlock Holmes in post #1
Should the West ostracize Russians on the basis that Ukraine is under attack by Russia?
No. We should stand with the many Russians who stand against the invasion.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #15

Post by nobspeople »

Sherlock Holmes wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:03 pm Should the West ostracize Russians on the basis that Ukraine is under attack by Russia?

For example: Alexander Malofeev
If by Russian individuals (as in, not socializing with them, buying from them, treating them poorly, etc), I see no good reason to do so, unless these individuals are treating others bad.
Then, turn about is fair play, as they say.
I hate christianity, but I don't treat christians bad UNLESS they treat me bad.

I suppose it all depends on how well one knows a specific Russian individual(s).
Have a great, potentially godless, day!