Christian Nationalism

Two hot topics for the price of one

Moderator: Moderators

Diogenes
Guru

Christian Nationalism

Post #1

Post by Diogenes »

Is "Christian Nationalism" a contradiction in terms?
Some background and an example:

"Someone recently wrote to me, in response to one of my previous articles, wondering why so many evangelicals chose Donald Trump, a vulgar misogynist who shows no understanding of any element of the Christian faith, over other candidates who were much closer to the evangelical movement. The difficult answer is that most evangelical men long for the days when misogyny was cool, when women were under the thumb of their husbands and sexual harassment was almost universally accepted."
https://www.salon.com/2022/02/20/christ ... jesus-say/

There are other examples of course, such as when a 'Christian' wants his government to embrace their religion as the State Religion.
and
https://www.salon.com/2022/01/06/how-ch ... -of-jan-6/

Before You Embark On A Journey Of Revenge, Dig Two Graves

— Confucius

historia
Prodigy

Re: Christian Nationalism

Post #2

Post by historia »

Diogenes wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:14 pm
I can certainly see how a nationalist movement could be centered on Christianity as a unifying cultural symbol, so, in that sense, I don't think it's contradictory.

It is odd in the American context, since the United States doesn't have a state religion.

Diogenes
Guru

Post #3

Post by Diogenes »

historia wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 3:39 pm
I can certainly see how a nationalist movement could be centered on Christianity as a unifying cultural symbol, so, in that sense, I don't think it's contradictory.

It is odd in the American context, since the United States doesn't have a state religion.
Good point. I suppose it makes sense they would use that symbol despite the fact it seems (to me) so contradictory.

Would you agree that combining secular nationalism with the precepts and teachings of Jesus of Nazareth as reflected in Matthew and Mark is contradictory? It seems to me that Jesus preached an inner faith and to follow God and spiritual ways, rather than promote any particular nation or super 'patriotism.' BTW, tho' the U.S. constitutionally has no State religion, much of the fundamentalist 'Christian' culture there repeatedly claims THEIR religion IS or should be the country's religion. They falsely proclaim repeatedly and ignorantly that "The United States is a Christian Nation."

They do this despite the fact many of the 'founding fathers' were Deists and would abhor Christian Fundamentalism.

— Confucius

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #4

Post by JoeyKnothead »

historia wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 3:39 pm

Christianity's the state religion, we just don't tell it out loud.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

historia
Prodigy

Post #5

Post by historia »

Diogenes wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 3:52 pm
Would you agree that combining secular nationalism with the precepts and teachings of Jesus of Nazareth as reflected in Matthew and Mark is contradictory?
I would certainly agree that the teachings of Jesus are not easily adapted to modern-day nationalist causes.

Moreover, Christianity emerged and developed outside the official religion of the Roman empire, and was often at the receiving end of state oppression, so carries the concept of the state and religion being separate.

In that way, it's a bit different from Judaism or Islam, both of which developed as the official religion of their respective 'nation', and so I think are more easily adapted to nationalist causes.

Ionian_Tradition
Sage

Post #6

Post by Ionian_Tradition »

[Replying to Diogenes in post #1]

Is Christian Nationalism a contradiction in terms? I suppose that would depend upon how one defines the term itself. If by “Christian Nationalism” you mean a Christianity which is specifically concerned with the social, political, economic, and moral interests of a specific nation (to the exclusion of all others), then perhaps the answer is “yes”…with qualifications. Though Christianity is not centered upon the broad interests of a single nation or state, the eschatological framework of Christianity does point to a melding of the nations into a single overarching state in which every tongue and tribe will be brought into submission under the rulership of Christ the king. Those of the Post-Millenialist eschatological tradition, in particular, believe that gradual (and global) consolidation of Christian authority, power, and influence is the ultimate trajectory of humanity. The culmination of which is the second coming and the inauguration of Christ’s kingly rule over a world “prepared” in advance to receive him. As such, Christian expansion is understood to terminate with a new (earthly) kingdom in which all nations are consolidated into a single unifying nation which is indivisible in its Christianity.

That being said, it is not at all clear to me that Christianity, as a religious tradition, cannot function as one of the cultural pillars of a nation whose people are thoroughly nationalistic in their sensibilities. In fact, the history of Europe seems replete with such examples. Even the United States, for a sizable portion of its history, could (rightly) be described as a nationalistic country with a strong cultural heritage rooted in Christian thought, tradition, and practice.

So though Christianity is not (precisely) nationalistic in its doctrines, it can never the less serve as the religious backbone of a country which IS thoroughly nationalistic in its policies and sentiments.

Diogenes
Guru

Post #7

Post by Diogenes »

Depending on how you define 'Christian' and 'nationalism' there's a wide range of answers I suppose. I frequently forget that Christianity has very little to do with Jesus of Nazareth. When I think of his teachings I have no trouble at all concluding a true follower of those teachings would never be a nationalist; would shun nationalism and abhor the white Christian nationalism that has arisen in the United States to worship the golden abomination.
The chief concern of Jesus was the Kingdom of God, followed by loving your neighbor. Tribalism and nationalism were not his concern except perhaps to preach against them. One need look no further than his parable of the Good Samaritan, or his encounter with the Canaanite Woman where he parodies Jewish tribalism and refers to Canaanites as dogs. She 'gets' it and returns the joke by suggesting even the dogs get the crumbs that fall from the master's table (Matthew 15:27).

— Confucius