NATO Expands further

Two hot topics for the price of one

Moderator: Moderators

Sherlock Holmes

NATO Expands further

Post #1

Post by Sherlock Holmes »

Well Finland and now Sweden have announced their desire and intention to apply for NATO membership.

That such a decisions is not made via a national referendum is a subversion of democracy, the consequences are potentially huge and every adult in the country should have had a voice in this.

The Western media constantly babble about Putin and Russia "want to reestablish the old Russian empire" while right under our noses the military force (dominated by the non-European USA) NATO continues its perverse growth.

There is nothing to stop any country from developing a treaty with other nations that guarantee military support if attacked, much as Poland had with Britain at the start of WW2.

It is simply not necessary to join NATO, there are other far less contentious options, all of this bodes ill IMHO.

So, should NATO continue to expand and continue to accept members from states bordering Russia?
Last edited by Sherlock Holmes on Mon May 16, 2022 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thomasdixon
Apprentice

Re: NATO Expands further

Post #71

Post by thomasdixon »

Baby Formula

“The Nine Republicans That Voted To Deny Formula For Babies”

U.S.
These Nine Republicans Voted Against Expanding Access to Baby Formula
BY EWAN PALMER ON 5/19/22 AT 4:36 AM EDT
Nine Republicans in the House of Representatives have voted against a bill that aims to facilitate the purchase of baby formula for those on low-income federal support programs.

The Access to Baby Formula Act, also known as H.R.7791, would allow low-income women to buy more baby formula through the federal Women, Infant and Children (WIC) program.

It received a 414-9 bipartisan support in a House vote on Wednesday amid the formula shortage crisis in the country.
The repunbicons who voted to deny baby formula to mothers in need.

They are: Reps. Andy Biggs (Arizona), Lauren Boebert (Colorado), Matt Gaetz (Florida), Louie Gohmert (Texas), Paul Gosar (Arizona), Marjorie Taylor Greene (Georgia), Clay Higgins (Louisiana), Thomas Massie (Kentucky) and Chip Roy (Texas).As a bystander I do not see what’s the big deal. Babies are not sole -ly dependent on a mother’s milk. Or whats dubed “BABLY Formula”
https://www.newsweek.com/nine-republica ... la-1708062

I’m 72 and what gives me the most nourishment is a protein-packed; nutritious drink on the market that is called “boost”.
. Listen, I am not advertising for a “boost”';. the only reason I am bringing this up is a possible nutritious substitute for the only commercial product on the market that advertises as a baby life saver. You know, that stuff you mix with water and then stir real hard kind.,.,.kind of nourishment.
What do the Russian mothers feed their babies-?
Just asking
No animosity intended or implied,
So help me God
(:-

Sherlock Holmes

Post #72

thomasdixon wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 6:21 pm Baby Formula

U.S.
Nine Republicans in the House of Representatives have voted against a bill that aims to facilitate the purchase of baby formula for those on low-income federal support programs.

The Access to Baby Formula Act, also known as H.R.7791, would allow low-income women to buy more baby formula through the federal Women, Infant and Children (WIC) program.

It received a 414-9 bipartisan support in a House vote on Wednesday amid the formula shortage crisis in the country.
The repunbicons who voted to deny baby formula to mothers in need.

They are: Reps. Andy Biggs (Arizona), Lauren Boebert (Colorado), Matt Gaetz (Florida), Louie Gohmert (Texas), Paul Gosar (Arizona), Marjorie Taylor Greene (Georgia), Clay Higgins (Louisiana), Thomas Massie (Kentucky) and Chip Roy (Texas).As a bystander I do not see what’s the big deal. Babies are not sole -ly dependent on a mother’s milk. Or whats dubed “BABLY Formula”
https://www.newsweek.com/nine-republica ... la-1708062

I’m 72 and what gives me the most nourishment is a protein-packed; nutritious drink on the market that is called “boost”.
. Listen, I am not advertising for a “boost”';. the only reason I am bringing this up is a possible nutritious substitute for the only commercial product on the market that advertises as a baby life saver. You know, that stuff you mix with water and then stir real hard kind.,.,.kind of nourishment.
What do the Russian mothers feed their babies-?
Just asking
No animosity intended or implied,
So help me God
(:-
I wasn't aware, our old friends the Republicans again, sad, really sad, thanks for posting that.

Here's some "food" for thought as I leave this forum for the day:

Diogenes
Guru

Re: Russia is a Rogue State

Post #73

Post by Diogenes »

Sherlock Holmes wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 5:46 pm
Diogenes:
Putin has squarely put himself in the category of Stalin and Hitler. Unfortunately the Tucker Carlson and Marjorie Taylor Green 'America First' movement that supported Hitler in 1939 (and at least as late as 1941) is still alive in America.

Should Israel be bombed for ignoring (the great many) UN security council resolutions calling for then to desists building settlements? Other countries like Iraq were bombed for that very reason, refusing to comply with security council resolution. But Israel won't be bombed because the US ALWAYS votes against enforcement resolutions targeting Israel and they are usually the only nation defending Israel.

Frankly Russia invading Ukraine is a far down on the list of global injustices people should be worried about, but its always easier to avoid controversy and just fit in with the West's narrative, I understand, I really do.
I was not aware anyone was bombing Russia for its war crimes against Ukraine. Israel should be sanctioned for its West bank 'soft' invasion and any other illegal 'land grab.' Unfortunately no U.S. politician can get elected to national office without kissing Israel's ring. Whatever their faults, Israel remains a staunch U.S. ally against Islamic terrorism in the Middle East.
But you are WAY off in dismissing Russia's various injustices. The world ranks Putin's War in the same category as Hitler's invasions that led to WW2, and continued during that war. Did you agree with Neville Chamberlain's appeasement at Munich? Should the West have ignored Hitler's invasion of France, Belgium, Norway? Was Roosevelt right in staying out of WW2 until Japan attacked Hawaii?

Before You Embark On A Journey Of Revenge, Dig Two Graves

— Confucius

The Barbarian
Sage

Post #74

Post by The Barbarian »

Ethnic cleansing is genocide, not a way to stop it. As you know, Putin had no reason at all to imagine genocide is taking place against ethnic Russians in Ukraine. Few people were gullible enough to believe that. That was the same story Hitler peddled to take over Czechoslovakia.
Sherlock Holmes wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 10:26 am And likewise NATO's bombing of Serbia in 1999. The FBI and war crimes forensic teams and Carla Del Ponte all agree, there was no evidence of genocide, yet NATO bombed for two months on the claim there was genocide.
Well, let's take a look...
Kosovo:
https://1997-2001.state.gov/www/global/ ... ument.html

Bosnia
With skin hanging limp across broken skeletons, these grisly remains are yet more evidence of the bloodlust that gripped the former Yugoslavia in the early-Nineties.

Two decades after Serb soldiers carried out house-to-house searches in a campaign of ethnic killings in Bosnia, investigators are digging up what could turn out to be the largest mass grave from the war.

The remains of 360 people have so far been found at the Tomasica mass grave, which was discovered last month near the town of Prijedor, 162 miles north-west of the Bosnian capital, Sarajevo.

That number, already far more than authorities expected, is expected to rise and could even one day surpass the 629 bodies found at Crni Vrh in Srebrenica

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... grave.html
Did you know that more ethnic Albanians were killed by that bombing than by Serb forces?
Show us your evidence. (declines to provide any evidence)
O.K. so you're not going to support you claim. We got it.

The number of victims whose bodies have been burned or destroyed may never be known, but enough evidence has emerged to conclude that probably around 10,000 Kosovar Albanians were killed by Serbian forces.
https://1997-2001.state.gov/global/huma ... epage.html
If NATO can just claim there's genocide when there really wasn't and start dropping bombs then why can't Russia?
In May 1993, the U.N. Security Council created the International Criminal Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia (ICTY) at The Hague, Netherlands. It was the first international tribunal since the Nuremberg Trials in 1945-46, and the first to prosecute genocide, among other war crimes.

Radovan Karadzic and the Bosnian Serb military commander, General Ratko Mladic, were among those indicted by the ICTY for genocide and other crimes against humanity.

The ICTY would eventually indict 161 individuals of crimes committed during conflict in the former Yugoslavia. Brought before the tribunal in 2002 on charges of genocide, crimes against humanity and war crimes, Milosevic served as his own defense lawyer; his poor health led to long delays in the trial until he was found dead in his prison cell in 2006.
After a trial lasting more than four years and involving the testimony of nearly 600 witnesses, the ICTY found Mladic, who had been dubbed the “Butcher of Bosnia,” guilty of genocide and other crimes against humanity in November 2017. The tribunal sentenced the 74-year-old former general to life in prison. Coming on the heels of Karadzic’s conviction for war crimes the previous year, Mladic’s long-delayed conviction marked the last major prosecution by the ICTY.

https://www.history.com/topics/1990s/bosnian-genocide

Once you start assuming things not in reality, any story is equally plausible.
Finally NATO actually did not start bombing because of "genocide"
Sounds like a testable assumption. Let's take a look...
On 24
Sherlock Holmes wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 1:13 pmThe campaign was launched after all diplomatic avenues had failed. Operation Allied Force was suspended by NATO on 10 June 1999 — lasting just 78 days — once it had a Military Technical Agreement that included Yugoslavia’s immediate end to violence and withdrawal of its military, police and paramilitary forces.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NATO_bomb ... Yugoslavia

On March 24, 1999, the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) commences air strikes against Yugoslavia with the bombing of Serbian military positions in the Yugoslav province of Kosovo. The NATO offensive came in response to a new wave of ethnic cleansing launched by Serbian forces against the Kosovar Albanians on March 20.
https://www.history.com/this-day-in-his ... yugoslavia

Led by the United States, warplanes from the North Atlantic Treaty Organization on this day in 1999 began a bombing campaign against Serbian military targets in the former Yugoslavia. The air raids, President Bill Clinton said, were aimed at halting widespread evidence of urban cleansing — the worst such outbreak in Europe since World War II — being perpetrated by Serbian forces against ethnic Albanian Muslims in Kosovo. They ended after 10 weeks when the Serbians agreed to a peace accord that called for the withdrawal of Serbian forces from Kosovo and their replacement by NATO peacekeeping troops.
https://www.politico.com/story/2019/03/ ... 24-1231269
exercise for you, why did NATO start bombing Serbia?
See above. You could have looked this up for yourself, you know.
This explained that there was in fact no evidence of genocide, or ethnic cleansing (in fact the first true ethnic cleansing in FRY was Croats cleansing Serbs from Krajina). Do you dispute what Carla Del Ponte says? She was sitting as a prosecutor during the campaign.
I find all those other sources more convincing. Lots of mass graves and witnesses, you know. The fact of convictions of the defendants on genocide charges makes difference, too. Milosovec died before the trial ended, but there's no doubt, given evidence of his complicity, that he would have also been found guilty.
You also failed to answer my question about why NATO decided to bomb,
You ignored my answer so I'll tell you again.

Led by the United States, warplanes from the North Atlantic Treaty Organization on this day in 1999 began a bombing campaign against Serbian military targets in the former Yugoslavia. The air raids, President Bill Clinton said, were aimed at halting widespread evidence of urban cleansing — the worst such outbreak in Europe since World War II — being perpetrated by Serbian forces against ethnic Albanian Muslims in Kosovo.

No point in denying this. I notice you declined to support your claim:
Did you know that more ethnic Albanians were killed by that bombing than by Serb forces?
When can we expect you to do that? (declines to answer)

Everything I've said is true, I have sources for everything but clearly facts are little interest to you. Even Carla Del Ponte the former prosecutor for war crimes committed during that time is dismissed by you, but here are her words again:

Former war crimes prosecutor alleges Kosovan army harvested organs from Serb prisoners

Kosovo assault 'was not genocide'
A United Nations court has ruled that Serbian troops did not carry out genocide against ethnic Albanians during Slobodan Milosevic's campaign of aggression in Kosovo from 1998 to 1999.
See above. Milosovec and two of his underlings were indicted for genocide and two were convicted. (Milosovec died before the trial ended). No point in denial.

(assertions that the KLA are bad people)

So you think that justified the Serbian genocide against the Bosnians? How so?
the Serbs knew what they were dealing with and deserved our support,
Genocide is not something we should ever support. As you now realize, that's what the Serbs were doing.

The Serbian goverment claimed the Bosnians were the aggressors, lies that were later exposed, but few care for facts as you well know, they only ever get in the way of a good narrative anyway.

Led by the United States, warplanes from the North Atlantic Treaty Organization on this day in 1999 began a bombing campaign against Serbian military targets in the former Yugoslavia. The air raids, President Bill Clinton said, were aimed at halting widespread evidence of urban cleansing — the worst such outbreak in Europe since World War II — being perpetrated by Serbian forces against ethnic Albanian Muslims in Kosovo. They ended after 10 weeks when the Serbians agreed to a peace accord that called for the withdrawal of Serbian forces from Kosovo and their replacement by NATO peacekeeping troops.
You said to me "No point in denying this" yet where did I ever deny that Clinton and NATO lied?
As you now realize there were numerous atrocities against the ethnic Albanians in Kosovo. And as you now realize the Serbs were also indicted for genocide in the attempted "ethnic cleansing" of Bosnia.
They did say exactly what that quote says they said and as you now know the lie was exposed when the UN Court made its decision.
The Court found the defendants guilty of genocide. No point in denial.
After a trial lasting more than four years and involving the testimony of nearly 600 witnesses, the ICTY found Mladic, who had been dubbed the “Butcher of Bosnia,” guilty of genocide and other crimes against humanity in November 2017. The tribunal sentenced the 74-year-old former general to life in prison. Coming on the heels of Karadzic’s conviction for war crimes the previous year, Mladic’s long-delayed conviction marked the last major prosecution by the ICTY.
Remember the "weapons of mass destruction" in Iraq?
Sorry, no bunny trails for you, today.

The Barbarian
Sage

Post #75

Post by The Barbarian »

thomasdixon wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 6:21 pm Baby Formula

U.S.

The nine republicans aren't trying to kill babies. They just have their priorities messed up. In an election year, the last thing republicans want is for a democrat president to fix a serious problem. Most republicans had the good sense to realize that this was not a hill to die on for the party; no one with any sense wants to vote to take food from babies. Nine of them just couldn't bring themselves to cooperate with democrats even on something like this. It's a sad commentary on the way the republican party has been corrupted. Reagan would have tossed those fools out the window.

My fear is that this may well spread to the democrats, if it turns out to be a useful thing for politicians to do.

Sherlock Holmes

Post #76

The Barbarian wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 9:49 pm Ethnic cleansing is genocide, not a way to stop it. As you know, Putin had no reason at all to imagine genocide is taking place against ethnic Russians in Ukraine. Few people were gullible enough to believe that. That was the same story Hitler peddled to take over Czechoslovakia.
Sherlock Holmes wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 10:26 am And likewise NATO's bombing of Serbia in 1999. The FBI and war crimes forensic teams and Carla Del Ponte all agree, there was no evidence of genocide, yet NATO bombed for two months on the claim there was genocide.
Well, let's take a look...
Kosovo:
https://1997-2001.state.gov/www/global/ ... ument.html

Bosnia
With skin hanging limp across broken skeletons, these grisly remains are yet more evidence of the bloodlust that gripped the former Yugoslavia in the early-Nineties.

Two decades after Serb soldiers carried out house-to-house searches in a campaign of ethnic killings in Bosnia, investigators are digging up what could turn out to be the largest mass grave from the war.

The remains of 360 people have so far been found at the Tomasica mass grave, which was discovered last month near the town of Prijedor, 162 miles north-west of the Bosnian capital, Sarajevo.

That number, already far more than authorities expected, is expected to rise and could even one day surpass the 629 bodies found at Crni Vrh in Srebrenica

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... grave.html
Show us your evidence. (declines to provide any evidence)
O.K. so you're not going to support you claim. We got it.

The number of victims whose bodies have been burned or destroyed may never be known, but enough evidence has emerged to conclude that probably around 10,000 Kosovar Albanians were killed by Serbian forces.
https://1997-2001.state.gov/global/huma ... epage.html
If NATO can just claim there's genocide when there really wasn't and start dropping bombs then why can't Russia?
In May 1993, the U.N. Security Council created the International Criminal Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia (ICTY) at The Hague, Netherlands. It was the first international tribunal since the Nuremberg Trials in 1945-46, and the first to prosecute genocide, among other war crimes.

Radovan Karadzic and the Bosnian Serb military commander, General Ratko Mladic, were among those indicted by the ICTY for genocide and other crimes against humanity.

The ICTY would eventually indict 161 individuals of crimes committed during conflict in the former Yugoslavia. Brought before the tribunal in 2002 on charges of genocide, crimes against humanity and war crimes, Milosevic served as his own defense lawyer; his poor health led to long delays in the trial until he was found dead in his prison cell in 2006.

https://www.history.com/topics/1990s/bosnian-genocide

Once you start assuming things not in reality, any story is equally plausible.
Finally NATO actually did not start bombing because of "genocide"
Sounds like a testable assumption. Let's take a look...
On 24
Sherlock Holmes wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 1:13 pmThe campaign was launched after all diplomatic avenues had failed. Operation Allied Force was suspended by NATO on 10 June 1999 — lasting just 78 days — once it had a Military Technical Agreement that included Yugoslavia’s immediate end to violence and withdrawal of its military, police and paramilitary forces.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NATO_bomb ... Yugoslavia

On March 24, 1999, the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) commences air strikes against Yugoslavia with the bombing of Serbian military positions in the Yugoslav province of Kosovo. The NATO offensive came in response to a new wave of ethnic cleansing launched by Serbian forces against the Kosovar Albanians on March 20.
https://www.history.com/this-day-in-his ... yugoslavia

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/03/ ... 24-1231269
exercise for you, why did NATO start bombing Serbia?
See above. You could have looked this up for yourself, you know.
This explained that there was in fact no evidence of genocide, or ethnic cleansing (in fact the first true ethnic cleansing in FRY was Croats cleansing Serbs from Krajina). Do you dispute what Carla Del Ponte says? She was sitting as a prosecutor during the campaign.
I find all those other sources more convincing. Lots of mass graves and witnesses, you know. The fact of convictions of the defendants on genocide charges makes difference, too. Milosovec died before the trial ended, but there's no doubt, given evidence of his complicity, that he would have also been found guilty.
You also failed to answer my question about why NATO decided to bomb,
You ignored my answer so I'll tell you again.

Led by the United States, warplanes from the North Atlantic Treaty Organization on this day in 1999 began a bombing campaign against Serbian military targets in the former Yugoslavia. The air raids, President Bill Clinton said, were aimed at halting widespread evidence of urban cleansing — the worst such outbreak in Europe since World War II — being perpetrated by Serbian forces against ethnic Albanian Muslims in Kosovo.

No point in denying this. I notice you declined to support your claim:
When can we expect you to do that? (declines to answer)

Everything I've said is true, I have sources for everything but clearly facts are little interest to you. Even Carla Del Ponte the former prosecutor for war crimes committed during that time is dismissed by you, but here are her words again:

Former war crimes prosecutor alleges Kosovan army harvested organs from Serb prisoners

Kosovo assault 'was not genocide'
A United Nations court has ruled that Serbian troops did not carry out genocide against ethnic Albanians during Slobodan Milosevic's campaign of aggression in Kosovo from 1998 to 1999.
See above. Milosovec and two of his underlings were indicted for genocide and two were convicted. (Milosovec died before the trial ended). No point in denial.

(assertions that the KLA are bad people)

So you think that justified the Serbian genocide against the Bosnians? How so?
the Serbs knew what they were dealing with and deserved our support,
Genocide is not something we should ever support. As you now realize, that's what the Serbs were doing.

The Serbian goverment claimed the Bosnians were the aggressors, lies that were later exposed, but few care for facts as you well know, they only ever get in the way of a good narrative anyway.

You said to me "No point in denying this" yet where did I ever deny that Clinton and NATO lied?
As you now realize there were numerous atrocities against the ethnic Albanians in Kosovo. And as you now realize the Serbs were also indicted for genocide in the attempted "ethnic cleansing" of Bosnia.
They did say exactly what that quote says they said and as you now know the lie was exposed when the UN Court made its decision.
The Court found the defendants guilty of genocide. No point in denial.
Remember the "weapons of mass destruction" in Iraq?
Sorry, no bunny trails for you, today.
If you are admitting to using sources like the British tabloid The Daily Mail then I see no point in us continuing. I'm British and know the UK gutter press very well (I even told you that the media and press lied about the war, and then you go and use them as your source!), the Daily Mail is a comic with no journalistic integrity. Such papers love to sensationalize, they were generally sympathetic to Trump during his presidency and generally sympathetic to the GOP. I scan the paper almost daily because I like to abreast of the kind of stuff they are peddling to the British public.

Its very easy to find sources to support almost any view on these wars, its easy to find sources defending Trump and election lies or about whites being ethnically at risk because of non-white immigration and so on, finding sources is not hard, finding sources with credibility or by writers with an established reputation is much harder, let me know if I can help with this going forward.

Read this if you want to learn more: The Daily Mail has ‘mastered the art of running stories that aren’t true’, Wikipedia founder Jimmy Wales says

Here's an excerpt from the interview with Wales:
Wikipedia founder Jimmy Wales has slammed British newspaper The Daily Mail, accusing it of publishing fake news articles and “hyped up” headlines.

Speaking to CNBC on Friday, Wales, who has started up a new site called Wikitribune to tackle the problem of fake news, took aim at the Mail.

“I think what they’ve done brilliantly in this ad funded world (is) they’ve mastered the art of click bait, they’ve mastered the art of hyped up headlines, they’ve also mastered the art of, I’m sad to say, of running stories that simply aren’t true,” Wales told CNBC in a TV interview.

“And that’s why Wikipedia decided not to accept them as a source anymore. It’s very problematic, they get very upset when we say this, but it’s just fact, so there you go.”
Why would you use such a disgraceful outfit as a source for your argument? The credibility of your argument has evaporated IMHO, the integrity of our sources matters in these discussions.

The Barbarian
Sage

Post #77

Post by The Barbarian »

Sherlock Holmes wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 12:42 pm If you are admitting to using sources like the British tabloid The Daily Mail then I see no point in us continuing.
Sorry, you're not going down that bunny trail, either. As you now realize, Milosevic and two of his cronies were indicted for genocide. Two of them were convicted and Milosevic died before the trial ended. No point in denial
I'm British and know..
So you're denying the convictions for genocide happened? You sure you want to do that?

THE HAGUE, June 8 (Reuters) - United Nations war crimes judges on Tuesday upheld a genocide conviction and life sentence against former Bosnian Serb military commander Ratko Mladic, confirming his central role in Europe’s worst atrocities since World War Two.
https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/bo ... 021-06-08/

They are still finding bodies from the genocide deniers claim never happened:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/20 ... al-crisis/

Ratko Mladić, the former Bosnian Serb commander nicknamed the “butcher of Bosnia”, will spend the rest of his life in prison after a UN court dismissed his final appeal against convictions for genocide and crimes against humanity, in a judgment hailed as “historic” by the White House.
Mladić will now join his one-time political master, the former Bosnian Serb president Radovan Karadžić, in serving a life sentence as a key architect of the ethnic cleansing and civil war that followed the break-up of Yugoslavia in the early 1990s.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... conviction

I gather that as usual, you won't answer the questions put to you, so I guess this is all that we need to close this one out.

Diogenes
Guru

Putin's War is an Embarrassment for Russia

Post #78

Post by Diogenes »

High level Russian diplomat says he is embarrassed by Putin's War.
“For twenty years of my diplomatic career I have seen different turns of our foreign policy, but never have I been so ashamed of my country as on February 24 of this year,” he wrote, referring to the date the invasion was launched.
__ Boris Bondarev, counselor at the Permanent Mission of the Russian Federation to the United Nations
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/20 ... raine-war/

And the Russian populace echo the same sentiment about this deplorable war.

In a news flash from DCR News, reports indicate certain pro Putin Americans "... still just don't get it." :D

Before You Embark On A Journey Of Revenge, Dig Two Graves

— Confucius

The Barbarian
Sage

Post #79

Post by The Barbarian »