Should misinformation be banned from the major platforms?

Two hot topics for the price of one

Moderator: Moderators

Daedalus X
Apprentice

Should misinformation be banned from the major platforms?

Post #1

Post by Daedalus X »

For this topic misinformation is any information that promotes needle hesitancy or anti authoritarian approved information.

Here is an example of misinformation that can't be posted to YouTube, twitter, Facebook or any mainline medium. Is this good public policy?

This is a MUST WATCH.

https://www.therealanthonyfaucimovie.com/viewing/
Last edited by Daedalus X on Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Diogenes
Guru

Re: Should misinformation be banned from the major platforms?

Post #161

Post by Diogenes »

[Replying to brunumb in post #159]
Anytime I hear someone use the word 'woke' I am tempted to conclude they are just plain mean, or a moron, bigot, or right-wing ignoramus (not mutually exclusive categories).

I don't like slang in general, but my understanding of 'woke' is that it originally meant someone who had awakened to the truth we are all one people; that 'race' is an artificial term, not a scientific one; that it refers to a social construct where some claim we are not brothers and sisters, but strangers - almost different species, where we can feel free to denigrate and enslave someone who is 'the other.'

To not be 'woke' is to remain ignorant. Is not being 'woke' really what Ron DeSantis and too much of the Republican party want to be proud of? Why are they preaching against, and fearing 'woke.'

Jose Fly
Guru

Post #162

Post by Jose Fly »

brunumb wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 7:57 pm This issue should not be seen as political (or possibly even religious). Perhaps it belongs in another part of the forum. To me, it is science.
https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/vo ... ansphobia/

"Actual research shows that sex is anything but binary"
Being apathetic is great....or not. I don't really care.

Jose Fly
Guru

Post #163

Post by Jose Fly »

brunumb wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 7:57 pm Suicide statistics regarding trans people are not that simple to analyse. It has been demonstrated that many so-called trans people have other deep-seated psychological problems.
That's surprisingly callous of you. I recently discussed this very issue with a trans person who never experienced any abuse or trauma as a child, nor do they suffer from any "deep-seated psychological problems". Yet they still have bouts of anxiety, depression, and such that is common among the queer community. When I asked why they thought that is, they said it was very simple....for them, every social interaction of every day of their lives is effectively a test or trial of whether that person will accept them or not. I honestly can't imagine what it's like to live like that...every day.

And since you want to focus on the science...

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5178031/

"Results:
The suicide attempt rate among transgender persons ranges from 32% to 50% across the countries. Gender-based victimization, discrimination, bullying, violence, being rejected by the family, friends, and community; harassment by intimate partner, family members, police and public; discrimination and ill treatment at health-care system are the major risk factors that influence the suicidal behavior among transgender persons.

Conclusion:
In spite of facing a number of hardships in their day-to-day life, the transgender community holds a number of resiliency factors. Further, this community needs to be supported to strengthen their resiliency factors and draw culturally sensitive and transgender-inclusive suicide prevention strategies and increase protective factors to tackle this high rate of suicidality."

IOW, it's not that there's something inherently wrong with trans people that leads them to suicide and suicidal behavior, it's them trying to live in society that in large part rejects them and denies who they are.

Diogenes
Guru

Tradition vs Science

Post #164

Post by Diogenes »

[Replying to Jose Fly in post #163]
As we have come to learn, many ideas from Genesis, as well as other ancient notions, are completely wrong if not the exact opposite of the 'truth.*' Even those of us who have long since parted ways with the myths of our fathers can find old beliefs sticking in our minds like ugly warts.
When it seems like suddenly there are thousands of trans folk, it's no surprise some think becoming trans is just a fad; some screwball idea that has become popular with a sub culture. As Jose Fly points out, if trans people are just choosing to be trans, they are knowingly choosing a path more difficult and dangerous than necessary.

I'm reading Harari's Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind. Every page makes sense and fits with what I know of anthropology, history, and general science; whereas every single myth of Genesis requires belief in the supernatural. Sapiens vs Genesis may make a good book debate for the forum.

EDIT: Thanks Jose, for the link, https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/vo ... ansphobia/ #
It reminds me of when I learned there was MUCH more going on inside the atom than protons, neutrons, and electrons. It also BLASTS the primitive Genesis nonsense regarding gender. Once again, taking Genesis literally as some guidepost for life is a great way to learn lies.

#Just one short passage blasts the Genesis model to dust:
Furthermore, measurements of sex hormones levels in any one individual wildly vary across the range of “average” values regardless of how close or spread apart you take the measurements. The binary sex model not only insufficiently predicts the presence of hormones but is useless in describing factors that influence them.

brunumb
Savant

Re: Tradition vs Science

Post #165

Post by brunumb »

[Replying to Diogenes in post #164]

I fully support the LGB community and always have. Trans people were way off my radar until more recently but I was happy to let them do their thing. Nowadays, however, the transgender epidemic, primarily targeting children, and aggressive trans activism have eroded my support completely. The genuine trans people suffering from gender dysphoria will come out the losers when this all self-implodes. The nonsense surrounding gender self-identity, preferred pronouns and restrictive legislation preventing free speech by calling questions hate crimes just won't be tolerated by rational people much longer. Here is an example of the absurdity we are facing.

Misinformation should be called out wherever it occurs. Sadly, when people try to do that they are vilified and canceled. Welcome to New Russia/China/NorthKorea/.
Goodbye.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

Jose Fly
Guru

Post #166

Post by Jose Fly »

Diogenes wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 11:56 pm When it seems like suddenly there are thousands of trans folk, it's no surprise some think becoming trans is just a fad; some screwball idea that has become popular with a sub culture. As Jose Fly points out, if trans people are just choosing to be trans, they are knowingly choosing a path more difficult and dangerous than necessary.
What it basically boils down to is some people telling trans folks that they are lying, and that they know who they are better than the trans person. If someone can't see the problems with that, then deeper issues are likely at play.

One of the main things you learn in biology is that all traits exhibit variability across populations, and especially in large populations, and even more so with multi-faceted complex traits like sex/gender. Throw in the fact that humans are a highly complex social species, and suddenly the fact that sex/gender occurs on a wide spectrum is hardly surprising.

Jose Fly
Guru

Post #167

Post by Jose Fly »

brunumb wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:51 am Nowadays, however, the transgender epidemic, primarily targeting children, and aggressive trans activism have eroded my support completely.
What does that even mean? Epidemic? One would only use such a term if they saw being trans as a negative...an affliction of sorts. Targeting children? For what exactly?
Here is an example of the absurdity we are facing.

First of all, that has nothing to do with children. Second, some of the details in that video seem a little odd. For example, how do the women prisoners know so much about how trans women prisoners live after release? Also, where exactly do you think trans women should be imprisoned?
Misinformation should be called out wherever it occurs. Sadly, when people try to do that they are vilified and canceled. Welcome to New Russia/China/NorthKorea/.
Goodbye.
Sheesh....hyperbole much?

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #168

Post by Purple Knight »

Jose Fly wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:46 amAlso, where exactly do you think trans women should be imprisoned?
Rape happens in men's prisons too. People gloss that over. This is one of the most egregious examples of privilege in our society and it's female privilege: The privilege to not be raped in prison. And we just... accept that it'll happen in men's prisons and that's somehow okay?

Jose Fly
Guru

Post #169

Post by Jose Fly »

Purple Knight wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:04 pm
Jose Fly wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:46 amAlso, where exactly do you think trans women should be imprisoned?
Rape happens in men's prisons too. People gloss that over. This is one of the most egregious examples of privilege in our society and it's female privilege: The privilege to not be raped in prison. And we just... accept that it'll happen in men's prisons and that's somehow okay?
I'm not really sure what your point is. Rape is not acceptable in prison for anyone, period.

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #170

Post by Purple Knight »

Jose Fly wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:30 pmI'm not really sure what your point is. Rape is not acceptable in prison for anyone, period.
I'm agreeing with you, I think. Even if we accept that trans women might create rape in women's prison, it's just a different instance of rape that happens if we put them in men's prisons. It's not like you prevent rape by doing that.