Should Israel continue to exist as a Jewish nation?

Two hot topics for the price of one

Moderator: Moderators

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Should Israel continue to exist as a Jewish nation?

Post #1

Post by Zzyzx »

Is there any reason that Israel should continue to exist as a Jewish nation?

Modern Israel was imposed on lands of other people by Harry Truman (the most powerful leader after WWII). Many consider the creation of modern Israel to have been a great mistake by Truman (somewhat on par with the use of atomic weapons against Japan after it had offered to surrender and the conduct of an undeclared war in Korea).

There is reason to suspect that Israel may cease to exist as a nation in the event of an expanded war in the Middle East precipitated by an attack by Israel or the US upon Iran.

It is known that Iran and other Arab nations have been supplied with Russian weapons, particularly missiles, some of which are atomic-capable. It is not known with certainty (to the best of my knowledge) whether atomic warheads have been supplied for those missiles; however, there is suspicion and suggestion that they have.

Other unknowns in the Middle East situation are the intentions of other concerned parties. We do not know with certainty which nations will or have lent support or weapons to Iran. Opening Pandora’s Box could be an apt description of the outcome of further Christian / Jewish attacks upon Islamic nations.

There is a strong possibility that an attack on Iran will result in a devastating counterattack upon Israel (and upon US interests and warships in the area) with advanced weapons, some of which may be atomic. An atomic counterattack would be justified if there is an unwarranted “preemptive” attack against Iran, particularly one involving atomic weapons.

War hawks say there is no danger of massive or atomic retaliation; however, they are the same people that said Iraq invasion and occupation would be a “cake walk” and who said “mission accomplished” in Iraq long ago.

Israel exists now only because it is supported economically and militarily by the US.

My question is: Is there any reason that Israel should continue to exist as a Jewish nation? And why?
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

MagusYanam
Guru

Post #2

Post by MagusYanam »

Zzyzx wrote:Is there any reason that Israel should continue to exist as a Jewish nation? And why?
As a Jew (by ethnicity if not by religion) I would say that I'm glad that there is a nation that the Jews can call 'home' at last. However, it has come at a very great cost that cannot be ignored - the forced displacement of an entire group of local ethnic Palestinians, who are nowadays living in what can rightly be called a system of ethnic apartheid - the Palestinians are restricted to the poorest and most desolate places of the Holy Land, devoid of economic opportunities or government-supported infrastructure.

I think that Israel does indeed have a right to exist, and the Israelis have proven that with their own, they can be democratically-minded and socially responsible. I think that this is a good start - now should be the time for the Israelis to show some responsibility, generosity and compassion for those who are now in a similar situation in Israel to that the Jews were in in Europe before and during WWII.

So should Israel exist as a Jewish nation? I think that might be reasonable if it were only Jews who lived there. As it's not, let's see Israel first exist as a democratic and socially responsible nation before we get down to that question.

P.S.: To the so-called 'friends' of Israel who will support it only as long as it disrupts Middle Eastern politics until they can be 'raptured' away, I request kindly that they leave us out and leave Israel out of their plans for bringing about the End Times. We're dealing with what we can do for social justice - now.
If I am capable of grasping God objectively, I do not believe, but precisely because I cannot do this I must believe.

- Søren Kierkegaard

My blog

Euronyzeus

The question

Post #3

Post by Euronyzeus »

Well i think Israel should exist but probably by other name or at least not as a jewish state, its an interesting part of the world you know the king solomon´s castle ruins, and as well as the mount sinai should be not as exclusive for only jews or egyptians. To be honest israel was the worst part that they could have chosen for the jew state i mean surrounded by muslims but they did because of this grat like cultural value, which again i think should not be only jewish. If there was a jewish state (which i support the idea of the existence of) i think it would be a city (in Israel) i think is called Hebron; this because it was first from the jews then was of many european potencies and muslims but ended up still jewish. That´s big for a religion and well like Makkah and the Vatican it should only be a city (I know Makkah is in arabia but arabia is not considered the muslim capital of the world at least not by me.)

My answer =)

Greatest I Am
Banned
Banned

Post #4

Post by Greatest I Am »

States exist and remain sovereign only as long as they can defend themselves against aggressors. Jew's, like any other people have shown that they will be just as underhanded as required to maintain their sovereignty. Their enemies should recognize this and act accordingly. They eventually will and peace will come.

If we were to abolish Israel, what would we do with the Jews.

Regards
DL

olivergringold
Apprentice

Post #5

Post by olivergringold »

While it is hypocritical to have a Theocratic Republic, it is nonetheless the single Republic in the Middle East and the most productive in terms of technology and scientific discovery. While in principle no State should be a Theocracy, Israel's hand is more or less forced by the nations around it. If legislations were not in place to prevent Arabs from migrating to Israel or running for government, they could very easily flood the country, take over the government, make it a duplicate of the surrounding totalitarian states and, if they don't kill the Jews, they'd certainly try to kick them out.

It's cynical. It's depressing. It's downright wrong. But with the current state of Judea-Islamic relations in that region of the world, it's the only way that the Jews can have somewhere to live, and the only way that a Republic can sustain in the Middle-East.

Vladd44
Sage

Post #6

Post by Vladd44 »

We need to move the jewish state to Brooklyn. Pack up their wailing wall and move it as well.
When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.[GOD] ‑ 1 Cor 13:11
WinMX, BitTorrent and other p2p issues go to http://vladd44.com

Cephus
Prodigy

Post #7

Post by Cephus »

olivergringold wrote:While it is hypocritical to have a Theocratic Republic, it is nonetheless the single Republic in the Middle East and the most productive in terms of technology and scientific discovery.
It's also the only Republic in the Middle East to receive billions in foreign aid, military resources and access to U.S. resources. It's not like they did it on their own, they've had a lot of help over the years.

arayhay
Sage

Post #8

Post by arayhay »

Vladd44 wrote:We need to move the jewish state to Brooklyn. Pack up their wailing wall and move it as well.

lets move islam to the moon. the earth would be a much safer place.

Vladd44
Sage

Post #9

Post by Vladd44 »

Good idea.

Let's use christians as pilots and flight staff.

Only give them enough fuel for a one way trip.

Then it's a win win for everyone.
When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.[GOD] ‑ 1 Cor 13:11
WinMX, BitTorrent and other p2p issues go to http://vladd44.com

Easyrider

Post #10

Post by Easyrider »

MagusYanam wrote:
Zzyzx wrote:Is there any reason that Israel should continue to exist as a Jewish nation? And why?
As a Jew (by ethnicity if not by religion) I would say that I'm glad that there is a nation that the Jews can call 'home' at last. However, it has come at a very great cost that cannot be ignored - the forced displacement of an entire group of local ethnic Palestinians, who are nowadays living in what can rightly be called a system of ethnic apartheid - the Palestinians are restricted to the poorest and most desolate places of the Holy Land, devoid of economic opportunities or government-supported infrastructure.
Too bad Jordan didn't give the Palestinians the Trans-Jordan territory that was allocated to the Palestinians. I wonder why the Palestinians and Muslims aren't going after the Jordanians?