John Kerry and Abortion

Two hot topics for the price of one

Moderator: Moderators

Esoteric_Illuminati
Student

John Kerry and Abortion

Post #1

Post by Esoteric_Illuminati »

John Kerry is pro-choice, yet believes life begins at conception. Now this position just doesn't make sense to me personally.
John Kerry wrote:"I oppose abortion, personally. I don't like abortion. I believe life does begin at conception."
Source:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/ar ... 4Jul4.html

Kerry's Pro-Choice position:
http://www.issues2000.org/2004/John_Kerry_Abortion.htm
http://www.johnkerry.com/issues/women/

Essentially Kerry argues that an unborn child's life ought not undermine a woman's right to privacy.

Now I don't believe any normal person in his right mind would be pro-choice IF they sincerely believed abortion was murder (or intentional killing of a human being if one wants to get into semantics).

If Kerry believes life begins at conception, consistant his Catholic beliefs, as he says he does, then he must certainly believe abortion immoral and an unjustified act of taking human life. So how can he be pro-choice and condone abortion?

My idea of Kerry's position on abortion is reduced to 2 conclusions:
1.) Kerry sincerely believes abortion is murder and an immoral act, yet condones it and fights for pro-choice anyways.
2.) Kerry does not believe abortion is murder/immoral, but says he believes it is.

The implication of #1 is that Kerry is a madman. One must be morally insane to sincerely believe that an unborn child is being killed, yet politically fight for and justify the killing of unborn children.

The implication of #2 is that Kerry is a liar. Perhaps he's just saying he believes life begins at conception to appease Catholic and pro-life voters?

Kerry's position on stem-cell research also seems to have these same troubling either/or implications. He is an advocate for advances in embryonic stem-cell research. And of course this kind of research ought to greatly trouble people who believe life begins at conception.

Is John Kerry putting politics over morality? Aren't politics supposed to be based on morality? I have heard John Kerry claim we need a leader with "strong values." Given his position on abortion and stem-cell research, are we supposed to believe Kerry is talking about himself?
-EI

"Education is the ability to listen to almost anything without losing your temper or your self confidence."
Robert Frost

otseng
Savant

Post #2

Post by otseng »

EI, don't hold back now, why don't you tell us how you really feel about Kerry? :blink:

I agree that saying that life begins at conception and then saying you are for abortion does not make logical sense.

However, I think I have a possible answer to Kerry's inconsistent stance - anyone who becomes involves in politics has a high chance of losing their ability to think or act clearly. I believe Kerry is one such victim.

Another example that immediately comes to mind is Alan Greenspan (arguably one of the most influential men on the face of the planet). In 1966, he wrote: "In the absence of the gold standard, there is no way to protect savings from confiscation through inflation." (Gold and Economic Freedom) Now, he is the head of the source of monetary inflation.

What entrenched politicians seek is only one thing - power. The ideals of truth, service, justice are all secondary to seeking and maintaining power.

So, if Kerry needs to say he is pro-choice to get power, even if he personally believes in life at conception, then he will do what it takes to get power.

As a note, I believe that all of us are not immune to the lure of power. Jesus recognized this and commanded those in authority to be servants.

Mat 20:25-28
25 But Jesus called them [unto him], and said, Ye know that the princes of the Gentiles exercise dominion over them, and they that are great exercise authority upon them.
26 But it shall not be so among you: but whosoever will be great among you, let him be your minister;
27 And whosoever will be chief among you, let him be your servant:
28 Even as the Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give his life a ransom for many.

ST88
Site Supporter

Re: John Kerry and Abortion

Post #3

Post by ST88 »

Esoteric_Illuminati wrote:John Kerry is pro-choice, yet believes life begins at conception. Now this position just doesn't make sense to me personally... Essentially Kerry argues that an unborn child's life ought not undermine a woman's right to privacy.

Now I don't believe any normal person in his right mind would be pro-choice IF they sincerely believed abortion was murder (or intentional killing of a human being if one wants to get into semantics).

If Kerry believes life begins at conception, consistant his Catholic beliefs, as he says he does, then he must certainly believe abortion immoral and an unjustified act of taking human life. So how can he be pro-choice and condone abortion?
The key word here is belief. He has no way to prove that life begins at conception, and in a legal sense, no way to argue for it. It is his belief. It seems to me that he does not wish to impose these personal beliefs in a political way. I do not see a contradiction, because there aren't any facts involved. In this way, I see his position as a religious one, not a scientific one.
Esoteric_Illuminati wrote:My idea of Kerry's position on abortion is reduced to 2 conclusions:
1.) Kerry sincerely believes abortion is murder and an immoral act, yet condones it and fights for pro-choice anyways.
2.) Kerry does not believe abortion is murder/immoral, but says he believes it is.

The implication of #1 is that Kerry is a madman. One must be morally insane to sincerely believe that an unborn child is being killed, yet politically fight for and justify the killing of unborn children.

The implication of #2 is that Kerry is a liar. Perhaps he's just saying he believes life begins at conception to appease Catholic and pro-life voters?
Response to #1 is that the rights of the population matter more than the individual beliefs of people in government. Because he is pro-choice, it leads me to believe that his own personal philosophy is that life begins at conception, but he is allowing for other beliefs that conflict with this to also exist. It may be anti-Roman Catholic to be this tolerant, but I think he is in the American Catholic mainstream with this view.

Response to #2 is that it may certainly be true, but I don't think so.

Now, if we're talking hypocritical, how can our current president be against abortion because of a sanctity of life position and still be able to brag about how many people the state of Texas executed on his watch?

Esoteric_Illuminati
Student

Post #4

lol Otseng, I do agree with ya that it's all about power. Kerry's quest for power very well could have made him morally blind. But since ST88 doesn't seem to agree with us, I'm gonna focus on his reply. I realize there are other threads on abortion. I'll try to keep my replies centered on John Kerry, although it's inevitable I'm going to debate the issue itself here too since ST88 is just askin' for it ;)
ST88 wrote:The key word here is belief. He has no way to prove that life begins at conception, and in a legal sense, no way to argue for it. It is his belief. It seems to me that he does not wish to impose these personal beliefs in a political way. I do not see a contradiction, because there aren't any facts involved. In this way, I see his position as a religious one, not a scientific one.
No way to prove life begins at conception? Check in any embryological textbook. Life at conception IS a scientific and medical fact when you get down to it. All John Kerry has to do is do a little research and listen to the people that know what they're talking about. Medical research has taken giant leaps forward since Roe v. Wade in 1973. It's now an archaic decision. Shouldn't the law maintain up-to-date and consistent with scientific facts? There's a reason pro-choice people do not want to see this case revisted by the SCOTUS!
When Does Human Life Begin? - Best article I've read on this debate.
PH.D/M.D. quotes

As for Kerry hiding behind the idea of separation of church and state on which I believe he's said along the lines of,
"But I can't take my Catholic belief, my article of faith, and legislate it on a Protestant or a Jew or an atheist...who doesn't share it."

That's such a cop out. The fundamental human right of life is a moral value/truth, not simply a religious belief. He's trying to veil morality behind separation of church and state. I don't see how anyone could ever vote for a President that doesn't stand up for the moral values he believes in. Kerry is an out and out politician and that's why I personally can't stand him.

If you earnestly believe abortion is murder, would you then go on to fight for legislation promoting murder via abortion? No one in their right mind would do that...that is my point ST88. Kerry has come out and said he believes abortion is murder. If he really believes that, why doesn't he stand behind that value and oppose it like other people that believe the same thing, yet sacrifice some political clout for their moral values?

Show me one SANE human being that would turn a blind eye to something they sincerely believe is murder. Such a belief cannot be hidden behind separation of religious beliefs. Arguments against abortion utilize the disciplines of science, medicine, philosophy, AND religion; all condemn it as murder. I'll happily get into specifics if necessary and I won't even bother with Scripture and religion. Abortion is NOT simply a religious issue. One doesn't need to appeal to religion to condemn abortion.

If Kerry really believed that abortion was murder, I believe he'd find ways to oppose it. He doesn't oppose it, therefore he is a liar. Kerry certainly could use that "it's my religious belief, therefore I cannot force you to believe it" if we were actually talking about any given religious doctrine. Abortion goes far beyond any religious belief/doctrine. I believe the implication if Kerry sincerely believes abortion IS murder, and then condones/promotes it, he is a madman.
Response to #1 is that the rights of the population matter more than the individual beliefs of people in government. Because he is pro-choice, it leads me to believe that his own personal philosophy is that life begins at conception, but he is allowing for other beliefs that conflict with this to also exist. It may be anti-Roman Catholic to be this tolerant, but I think he is in the American Catholic mainstream with this view.
How can murdering an innocent child or tolerating that fact be seen as in the best interests for America? My point is how can anyone who believes life begins at conception undermine this child's right to life with a woman's right to privacy? I'll submit to you that the right to life trumps the right to privacy in all cases since the right to life is the most fundamental right human beings possess. All other rights are predicated on the right to life. So that certainly doesn't make sense. IF John Kerry is to believe that an unborn child is a living human being, it naturally follows he should believe that this human being has fundamental human rights, no?
Response to #2 is that it may certainly be true, but I don't think so.
At least you concede the possibility. There may be hope at convincing you yet! :lol:
Now, if we're talking hypocritical, how can our current president be against abortion because of a sanctity of life position and still be able to brag about how many people the state of Texas executed on his watch?
I'm personally against the DP. I think this analogy falls apart, however, when when you consider the 14th Amendment's due process clause. Convicts are certainly not innocent human beings. They have committed an act that which society deems death as a justifiable punishment. Is this punishment appropriate for an innocent unborn child? No such argument of justification can be made.

Bottom line is that it's one thing to view private moral interests based religious doctrine, by which a person is held accountable by God. It's another thing to acknowledge unborn children as living human beings and subsequently discriminate and deny them fundamental human rights, which are entitled to ALL people based on the simple fact that they are indeed human beings. The interest of fundamental human rights is not a private moral interest, but a universal moral interest of mankind irregardless of religious beliefs. People who violate the fundamental right to life are held accountable not only by God, but by society as well.

Corvus
Guru

Post #5

Post by Corvus »

Esoteric_Illuminati wrote:
I'm personally against the DP. I think this analogy falls apart, however, when when you consider the 14th Amendment's due process clause. Convicts are certainly not innocent human beings. They have committed an act that which society deems death as a justifiable punishment. Is this punishment appropriate for an innocent unborn child? No such argument of justification can be made.
How does the analogy fall apart? The 14th amendment isn't doctrine, and has nothing to do with whether a man can lose their sanctity of life or not. Nor does it explain how a judge has been granted the authority to remove the sanctity from another man's life. Law and morality are separate, though they often come to an agreement. Law is the mutually beneficial agreement people give to each other when they live in a society. Morality is the perspective of a person or persons. Kerry's actions undermine the vehemence of his belief, not the belief itself.

And is the death penalty really a punishment, or is it a way to prevent someone from recidivating?
Esoteric_Illuminati wrote:How can murdering an innocent child or tolerating that fact be seen as in the best interests for America? My point is how can anyone who believes life begins at conception undermine this child's right to life with a woman's right to privacy? I'll submit to you that the right to life trumps the right to privacy in all cases since the right to life is the most fundamental right human beings possess.
But life is not valued the same in all situations. You have written that, though you disagree with the death penalty, the value of a convicted criminal's life is not the same as that of an "innocent child". Why must a blank page be valued more than a written one? (Or a work-in-progress, for that matter.)

In America, I am given to understand that it is perfectly legal for parents or next of kin to terminate the life of a person if they are living only through the support of machinery. Perhaps Kerry trusts the consciences of mothers to know what is right or wrong, and hesitates to term the people who go through something as drastic as an abortion as "murderers", as you just come shy of doing.

And, of course, if I understand American politics correctly, Kerry would not be stupid enough to alienate his democrat supporters.
<i>'Beauty is truth, truth beauty,—that is all
Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.'</i>
-John Keats, Ode on a Grecian Urn.

ST88
Site Supporter

Post #6

Post by ST88 »

Esoteric_Illuminati wrote:No way to prove life begins at conception? Check in any embryological textbook. Life at conception IS a scientific and medical fact when you get down to it. All John Kerry has to do is do a little research and listen to the people that know what they're talking about. Medical research has taken giant leaps forward since Roe v. Wade in 1973. It's now an archaic decision. Shouldn't the law maintain up-to-date and consistent with scientific facts? There's a reason pro-choice people do not want to see this case revisted by the SCOTUS!
It all depends on your definition of life. At the point of conception, the human embryo is essentially indistinguishable from a common bacteria. It all depends on whether or not you believe that some kind of "breath of life" is in this particular cell or complex of cells at this point. This may come down to a legal definition, but we can still debate whether or not a tomato is a vegetable or a fruit despite the fact that the Supreme Court has ruled it is a vegetable.

And, yes, the law should keep up with scientific facts, but not the other way around. The law should not be used as a basis for scientific facts (only additional law).
Esoteric_Illuminati wrote:As for Kerry hiding behind the idea of separation of church and state on which I believe he's said along the lines of,
"But I can't take my Catholic belief, my article of faith, and legislate it on a Protestant or a Jew or an atheist...who doesn't share it."

That's such a cop out. The fundamental human right of life is a moral value/truth, not simply a religious belief. He's trying to veil morality behind separation of church and state. I don't see how anyone could ever vote for a President that doesn't stand up for the moral values he believes in. Kerry is an out and out politician and that's why I personally can't stand him.
You're certainly entitled to your opinion. And I will not disagree that there are politicians who will lie, cheat, and steal in order to maintain power. Hopefully, there are reputable journalists and lawyers who can point these things out. But there's plenty of back-room spanking and finger wagging to go around.

But I don't think you can slough off morality from religion that easily. Religion informs our sense of morality more than you acknowledge. A secular morality will have different characteristics than a religious one just by its very nature.
Esoteric_Illuminati wrote:If you earnestly believe abortion is murder, would you then go on to fight for legislation promoting murder via abortion? No one in their right mind would do that...that is my point ST88. Kerry has come out and said he believes abortion is murder. If he really believes that, why doesn't he stand behind that value and oppose it like other people that believe the same thing, yet sacrifice some political clout for their moral values?
I can respect your point of view on this. I see the death penalty as state-sponsored vigilante justice murder. And if I ever got in office (snowball: :flamed: ), I would fight for its dismantlement. But the majority of my fellow Americans disagree with me. Murder is a legal judgment not a scientific one. There are plenty of justifications for killing, if that can be the preferred term. Where we disagree appears to be who is responsible for the abortion of a fetus. I say it is the mother, you say it is society as a whole. If the mother is responsible, she has her God to answer to. If society is responsible, then we should all have to answer for allowing this genocide to happen. Is this a fair assessment?
Esoteric_Illuminati wrote:Show me one SANE human being that would turn a blind eye to something they sincerely believe is murder. Such a belief cannot be hidden behind separation of religious beliefs. Arguments against abortion utilize the disciplines of science, medicine, philosophy, AND religion; all condemn it as murder...

If Kerry really believed that abortion was murder, I believe he'd find ways to oppose it. He doesn't oppose it, therefore he is a liar... I believe the implication if Kerry sincerely believes abortion IS murder, and then condones/promotes it, he is a madman.
Here's what Kerry has actually said on the topic:
ABCNEWS One on One with John Kerry:
Jennings: If you believe that life begins at conception, is even a first-trimester abortion not murder?

Kerry: No, because it's not the form of life that takes personhood in the terms that we have judged it to be in the past. It's the beginning of life. Does life begin? Yes, it begins.

Is it at the point where I would say that you apply those penalties? The answer is, no, and I believe in choice. I believe in the right to choose, and the government should not involve itself in that choice, beyond where it has in the context of Roe v. Wade.

Jennings: Can you imagine yourself ever campaigning against abortion?

Kerry: Well, I don't think — let me tell you very clearly that being pro-choice is not pro-abortion. And I have very strong feelings that we should talk about abortion in a very realistic way in this country. It is a very complicated, incredibly important moral issue that people have to face, also. And if you talk to any woman, as I have, who has faced that choice or who's been raped or who's suffered incest or who's faced that kind of choice, there are huge moral implications.

I think leadership needs to honor that, those moral implications, appropriately, and I think we need to adhere to the standard that Bill Clinton, in fact, so adeptly framed, that abortion should be rare, but legal and safe. And that's the standard that I apply. But I think we should talk more about alternatives to abortion.
Clearly, Kerry does not like it, but his standard for upholding the right to choose is legal, not moral. He does not call it murder. He makes a distinction between "life" and "personhood," which I believe is a legal distinction (correct me if I'm wrong). Speaking in strictly legal terms, I believe he is correct and well within his rights as a Catholic to express a political view. As for morality, I think he is actively trying not to press his own personal beliefs on the public. I, for one, am leery of government figures who claim moral authority via religion as reasons for their decisions. I realize I am in the minority in this in this country, but there I am.
Esoteric_Illuminati wrote:
ST88 wrote:Response to #2 is that it may certainly be true, but I don't think so.
At least you concede the possibility. There may be hope at convincing you yet! :lol:
The point I am conceding is that any politician may be a lying hypocritical gasbag. Barring information to the contrary, I usually go by what is published and come to my own conclusions.

Jose
Guru

Post #7

Post by Jose »

ST88 wrote:The point I am conceding is that any politician may be a lying hypocritical gasbag. Barring information to the contrary, I usually go by what is published and come to my own conclusions.
That's probably a good description of politicians! It's also a good recommendation for how to deal with their pronouncements: find out the real story, and come to our own conclusions. Good advice!

As for Kerry's position, I'm impressed that he has the courage and, yes, morality, to say it the way he has. Personally, he's opposed to abortion. Morally, he is also opposed to telling others that They Must Do As He Says. He is doing the right thing to keep his religious views out of other people's lives. I think that takes more courage and leadership than it does to say "do what I say because I'm Right."

It's important to ask, as we think about this, whether it is morally correct to sentence someone to the cruel and unusual punishment of a living hell--say, for example, a life of forced prostitution, or neglect and abuse, or any number of other things that are likely to be forced upon children who are born into situations beyond their control and in which they are not wanted and cannot be cared for. These things happen, whether we like it or not. I think it is very likely that an early abortion would be preferable to these kinds of lives.

So, the obvious rebuttal is that life begins at conception. No, it doesn't. Conception is the union of two already living cells. Life began for these cells before they were eggs or sperm, before they had completed the cellular developmental program that gave them their particular characteristics. They came from parent cells, which came from parent cells, which came from parent cells, back until the first cell in their lineage.

It makes more sense to ask, not when life began, but when a human embryo develops the characteristics that would make it care whether it lived or not. It makes more sense to ask about the life that the person would face once they have developed enough to experience it.

One should also think about the biology of the fertilized egg. What do these little guys do? They develop for a few cell divisions, then attack Mom by invading her tissues and usurping those tissues to build a placenta. If the embryo happens to do this in the right place, then we get a pregnancy (unless mutations cause a spontaneous abortion). Sometimes the embyro does this in the wrong place, causing things like "tubal pregnancies" which can be fatal to Mom. It's not right to let Mom die because we somehow feel the embryo is untouchable.

It also makes sense to ask, as Kerry has, who should be the one to decide the fate, not only of the fertilized egg, but of the mother who is also affected. I would argue that the mother has the primary right to decide. She's the one who's having her body invaded, and she's the one who has the job of caring for the child once it is born. The rest of us have a right to discuss the options with her, but certainly not to force her to do what we say. I would also argue that anyone who has ever had sex with someone to whom they are not married has automatically forfeited the right to make this decision for someone else--unless they are willing to accept full responsibility for a child for each time they yielded to temptation.

Like Kerry, I'd rather there were no abortions. But also like Kerry, I'll fight for a woman's right to choose her own fate for herself, and not have it forced upon her by others. Having our views informed by religious discussion is great. Having them enforced by religious totalitarianism is not.

Esoteric_Illuminati
Student

Post #8

Ah, perhaps it's best to just go ahead and lay out a brief summary of my abortion argument. It isn't too complex.

1.) All living human beings are entitled to fundamental human rights.
2.) An unborn child (from the point of conception) is a living human being.
3.) Therefore an unborn child is entitled to fundamental human rights.

Premise 1 - Fundamental human rights are also called self-evident rights, natural rights or simply human rights. They are acknowledged in the DoI (2nd paragraph) as well as the 5th and 14th Amendments. They are also acknowledged in the United Nations Universal Declaration of Human Rights. People have these rights by the simple virtue of being human. Animals do not have these rights. Yes, that means fundamental human rights are anthropocentric (sorry Peter Singer). If you're a human being, you deserve these rights - starting specifically with the right to life since all other rights are predicated on this right.

Now, what constitutes a human being?
I believe there are three charecteristics that define a human being. These charecteristics are necessary AND sufficient. That means all three characeterics MUST be present and that it is unnecessary to add any further charecteristic(s). It therefore follows that any charecteristic added to this definition would be arbitrary and unjust since it's only intent is to justify the discrimination of certain human beings. Race was an arbitrary characteristic used in the past to do such a thing.
What are these characteristics?
1.) Alive - (as opposed to dead) - It's common sense that to have the right to life, a human being must first be labelled alive, rather than dead.
2.) Human - As mentioned above, human rights belong to HUMANS. It's absurd to demand that the law provide fundamental human rights to animals.
3.) Unique - By this characteristic I am talking about having the ability to determine when we have a distinct human being. This will make more sense when I apply it.

With this said, I would then appeal to Ockham's Razor to support me that these charecteristics are sufficient to define a human being.

Premise 2:
If the given definition of a human being stands, this is a corollary to premise 1. From the point of conception the unborn child is:

1.) Alive - Charecterized by cell growth and division and all that good stuff. No embryological textbook would argue with me there. I already provided a link and scientific testimony to this fact.

2.) Human - We know it's not a dog or cat growing inside the mother, it is a human being - a potential moral agent.

3.) Unique - The unborn child is genetically unique from the mother. It is not as insigificant as a mere fingernail that you can clip at your leisure. It contains DNA with traits in the process of developing and manifesting themselves.

The most important thing to note here is #3. The common objection in an abortion debate is that the unborn child is "just a clump of cells." This charecteristic refutes that justification for abortion because this "clump of cells" is unique/distinct from the mother. To label it a "clump of cells" belonging to the mother is to logically compare it to a fingernail or a strand of HER hair. We know for a fact that from the point of conception, we have a unique human being living inside of the mother. TWO lives, not one.

Therefore since all three of these factors are necessary and sufficient to qualify an unborn child as a unique human being that should be endowed with the same natural rights that any other child is given at any arbitrary point in it's development, namely the right of life, that ought to be secured and protected by the government.

That's a brief summary of my argument.

That said, I'll make some replies to previous comments in my next post and most likley refer back to this so ya'll know where I'm coming from.
-EI

"Education is the ability to listen to almost anything without losing your temper or your self confidence."
Robert Frost

science1
Student

John Kerry's abortion stance

Post #9

Post by science1 »

You don't have to believe in every ideology of a religion to be a member of that faith. i believe that John Kerry does truly believe in pro-choice, however respects other people's view that life begins at conception.

Esoteric_Illuminati
Student

Post #10

Corvus wrote:How does the analogy fall apart? The 14th amendment isn't doctrine, and has nothing to do with whether a man can lose their sanctity of life or not. Nor does it explain how a judge has been granted the authority to remove the sanctity from another man's life. Law and morality are separate, though they often come to an agreement. Law is the mutually beneficial agreement people give to each other when they live in a society. Morality is the perspective of a person or persons. Kerry's actions undermine the vehemence of his belief, not the belief itself.
The 14th Amendment (cf 5th Amendment) establishes when it is justified to violate fundamental human rights, including the right to life.

...nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws. ...

Furthermore, law and morality are NOT separate. The law is predicated on morality, namely the moral theory stated in the DoI. When the law violates morality, it becomes unjust. You need look no further than the timeless words of Martin Luther King Jr. for in-depth arguments on this. That and the Nuremburg trials. You misdefine morality anyways. There is a difference between morals and mores. I for one reject the notion that morality is subjective. I believe there is only one way we OUGHT to live (most philosophers call it the "good life"). However, the way we DO live is indeed subjective, but I don't call that "morality."

I understand where people are willing to mitigate the vehemency of their religious views when running for public office. It's a different thing to try and catagorize a fundamental moral value (such as life) under religious doctrine and then run on a platform completely contradicting that value.
But life is not valued the same in all situations. You have written that, though you disagree with the death penalty, the value of a convicted criminal's life is not the same as that of an "innocent child". Why must a blank page be valued more than a written one? (Or a work-in-progress, for that matter.)
Well, I'm not arguing how things are, I'm arguing how things OUGHT to be. I'm against both abortion and the DP. However, I'm not as passionate against the DP because convicted felons face DUE PROCESS OF LAW. That's called justice. Certainly unborn children are not given due process of law are they, where's the justice? I believe they should be given due process however. Abortion should only be used if it could be proven in a court that the unborn child is threatening the life of the mother. When it comes down to the right to life vs. the right to life, the Court can decide. When it comes down to the right to life vs. the right to privacy, there is NO justification in which privacy ought to trump life.
Concerning your "blank page" analogy, think about the fact that the DNA contained within the unborn child possess the traits that are in the process of being written. From the point of conception a blueprint, not blank page, exists.
In America, I am given to understand that it is perfectly legal for parents or next of kin to terminate the life of a person if they are living only through the support of machinery. Perhaps Kerry trusts the consciences of mothers to know what is right or wrong, and hesitates to term the people who go through something as drastic as an abortion as "murderers", as you just come shy of doing.
I'm against euthanasia too while we're at it, unless the person had previously specified to an attorney that he does not wish to live under such conditions. I don't think the SCOTUS or John Kerry should fight to undermine fundamental human rights by giving people the benefit of the doubt, or by trying to mitigate the law to compromise with emotional appeals.
The term "murder" I think is accurate. If you intentionally end the life of an innocent human being, that's murder. It may not "legal" murder, but murder nevertheless.
ST88 wrote:It all depends on your definition of life. At the point of conception, the human embryo is essentially indistinguishable from a common bacteria.It all depends on whether or not you believe that some kind of "breath of life" is in this particular cell or complex of cells at this point.
Really? Do you have anything (i.e. biological/embyrological/science textbook) that compares an unborn child with bacteria?
Fact is though, we KNOW the child is HUMAN and not some other species. It's also unique/distinct. We don't think twice about destroying bacteria in the human body. Why do we think twice about killing an unborn child if it's no more significant than bacteria? Life itself is not sufficient in judging it's moral significance...
When you isolate each necessary characteristic, it will sound absurd.
And, yes, the law should keep up with scientific facts, but not the other way around. The law should not be used as a basis for scientific facts (only additional law).
Then why are we allowing the 1973 decision of Roe v. Wade to continue to define the significance of a human being, when science has helped show that human life begins at conception?
But I don't think you can slough off morality from religion that easily. Religion informs our sense of morality more than you acknowledge. A secular morality will have different characteristics than a religious one just by its very nature.
Morality is independent from both religious and secular worldviews. In this case, it's about fundamental human rights, which obviously factor into every worldview. John Kerry, in trying to justify his stance on abortion, has logically placed the entire concept of fundamental human rights, namely the right to life, under the guise of his religious beliefs. I believe that's absurd and an a political cop-out. I don't think any atheist/agostic/Muslim/Jew/Christian/Buddhist/etc. would argue that fundamental human rights should be catagorized specifically under religious beliefs? Abortion is a human rights issue, not a religious issue. Unborn children are a group of human beings that are being discriminated against in this country and across the world.
Murder is a legal judgment not a scientific one. There are plenty of justifications for killing, if that can be the preferred term. Where we disagree appears to be who is responsible for the abortion of a fetus. I say it is the mother, you say it is society as a whole. If the mother is responsible, she has her God to answer to. If society is responsible, then we should all have to answer for allowing this genocide to happen. Is this a fair assessment?
I believe there's only one justification and that is the moral dilemma where it's life vs. life. And I'll be tastelessly blunt here; any other justification is based on inconvenience to the mother. Murder can never be justified based on inconvenience. The government has an obligation to secure fundamental human rights to all human beings. This includes unborn children. Indeed the mother will have God to answer to in the end, however, the moral and political foundation of this country (and other UN nations) tells us that people must be held accountable to society if they are going to unjustly violate another human being's right to life. And don't confuse government with society, especially without defining society. The government is to be held accountable on how well it secures human rights. If genocide occurs, the perpetrators AND the goverment must answer to this. BTW, that served as a moral justification for removing Saddam Hussein. He and his government blatently violated fundamental human rights and had to be held accountable.
Clearly, Kerry does not like it, but his standard for upholding the right to choose is legal, not moral. He does not call it murder. He makes a distinction between "life" and "personhood," which I believe is a legal distinction (correct me if I'm wrong). Speaking in strictly legal terms, I believe he is correct and well within his rights as a Catholic to express a political view. As for morality, I think he is actively trying not to press his own personal beliefs on the public. I, for one, am leery of government figures who claim moral authority via religion as reasons for their decisions. I realize I am in the minority in this in this country, but there I am.
I've read that interview transcript before too. He also commented a bit on that tonight in the debate. Relating directly to John Kerry, what I wish to know is WHY and HOW he attempts to make a distinction between "life" and "personhood;" given the fact that he does believe human life begins at conception. That's a purely arbitrary distinction, especially coming from him.
I dunno, *perhaps* John Kerry is just ignorant if he is not aware that the abortion argument transcends religious doctrine. My biggest beef with Kerry is that he is trying to pass the abortion debate off on separation of church and state.
I wouldn't want anyone pushes his religous worldview in politics either, even a Christian. But I do NOT want to see presidential candidates undermine fundamental human rights and justify it by "passing the buck" to his religion. I find that logically inconsistant.
Jose wrote:As for Kerry's position, I'm impressed that he has the courage and, yes, morality, to say it the way he has. Personally, he's opposed to abortion. Morally, he is also opposed to telling others that They Must Do As He Says. He is doing the right thing to keep his religious views out of other people's lives. I think that takes more courage and leadership than it does to say "do what I say because I'm Right."
In most cases, this "morality" wouldn't be such an argument, but since we're dealing with human life, I find it an important issue. Over 40 million abortions have been legally performed since 1973. John Kerry has come out and said he believes human life begins at conception so he MUST concede the fact that over 40 million human beings that have been killed since then. How can a person who sincerely believes 40 million human lives have been ended possibly reconcile that? Oh, separation of church and state. Riiiight :roll:
It's important to ask, as we think about this, whether it is morally correct to sentence someone to the cruel and unusual punishment of a living hell--say, for example, a life of forced prostitution, or neglect and abuse, or any number of other things that are likely to be forced upon children who are born into situations beyond their control and in which they are not wanted and cannot be cared for. These things happen, whether we like it or not. I think it is very likely that an early abortion would be preferable to these kinds of lives.
One thing is that potentiality does not factor in on moral significance. That is an arbitrary characteristic. Furthermore, the logical ramification is to suggest that one's conditions in life weigh in on the person's moral significance. Why not murder all the homeless people then? What about people who are genetically predisposed to diseases? Are these people who "live in hell" less human? If both my mother and father were alcoholics, would it be morally justified to murder me as a child since my life *might* turn out crappy? Additionally, I really have a sour taste for this argument, since I know a person who's mother considered an abortion. He's a college graduate, wife and kids, and cherishes every moment of his life. Who are you, the SCOTUS, or anyone else to be the premature judge to this person's life?
So, the obvious rebuttal is that life begins at conception. No, it doesn't. Conception is the union of two already living cells. Life began for these cells before they were eggs or sperm, before they had completed the cellular developmental program that gave them their particular characteristics. They came from parent cells, which came from parent cells, which came from parent cells, back until the first cell in their lineage.
Ah, but these cells were not genetically unique from the mother. The egg was simply one of her cells. Once the gametes came together to form ONE zygote, they no longer are two separate insignificant cells. Conception is the point where "parent cells" transform to become a unique living human being ergo moral significance and fundamental human rights.
It makes more sense to ask, not when life began, but when a human embryo develops the characteristics that would make it care whether it lived or not. It makes more sense to ask about the life that the person would face once they have developed enough to experience it.

The "characteristics that would make it care?" Well you know by now that I believe ANY additional characteristics to the three I've listed are arbitrary and/or unnecessary. Nevertheless, I don't see how you could do that since development is a constant process from the beginning. Consider the fact that newborn infants aren't even self-aware until about 6 mos, so under what qualification do we say they "care" and the same child a few weeks ago didn't?
One should also think about the biology of the fertilized egg. What do these little guys do? They develop for a few cell divisions, then attack Mom by invading her tissues and usurping those tissues to build a placenta. If the embryo happens to do this in the right place, then we get a pregnancy (unless mutations cause a spontaneous abortion). Sometimes the embyro does this in the wrong place, causing things like "tubal pregnancies" which can be fatal to Mom. It's not right to let Mom die because we somehow feel the embryo is untouchable.
I wouldn't say it's right to just let Mom die either. I would require a doctor to show before a Court that the mother's life is/was legitimately threatened (due process!). In a great majority of cases, pregnancy is a normal natural process for a woman to go through - that's what the womb was designed for after all.
It also makes sense to ask, as Kerry has, who should be the one to decide the fate, not only of the fertilized egg, but of the mother who is also affected. I would argue that the mother has the primary right to decide. She's the one who's having her body invaded, and she's the one who has the job of caring for the child once it is born. The rest of us have a right to discuss the options with her, but certainly not to force her to do what we say. I would also argue that anyone who has ever had sex with someone to whom they are not married has automatically forfeited the right to make this decision for someone else--unless they are willing to accept full responsibility for a child for each time they yielded to temptation.
The right to privacy does not trump the right to life. The unborn child is not "just a clump of cells" to be compared to that of the mother's fingernail. If the unborn child is a living human being, it is entitled to have it's fundamental human rights to be secured by the government.
As for your "if you had pre-marital sex, you have no right to argue this issue," marriage has nothing to do with fundamental human rights. Marriage doesn't give the child a right to life.
Like Kerry, I'd rather there were no abortions. But also like Kerry, I'll fight for a woman's right to choose her own fate for herself, and not have it forced upon her by others. Having our views informed by religious discussion is great. Having them enforced by religious totalitarianism is not.
Once again, this isn't a religious discussion. Mind you I haven't once cited Scripture to justify my beliefs here. If Kerry sincerely believes abortion is wrong, he ought to take a stand against it instead of letting politics undermine that moral value.
-EI

Robert Frost