weed, marry jane, tree, pot, grass, herb, bud, sticky icky

Post #1

Post by TQWcS »

Should marijuana be legal.

TQWcS
Scholar

Post #81

Post by TQWcS »

Cocaine and Heroin are already available to your children. What's worse is cocaine can be cut with anything, so who knows what your kids are puttin up thier noses because the drugs are illegal.
The best way to keep your kids from doing drugs is to educate them on the downfalls of drug use. It amazes me the power we give to the government just because we are too lazy to take responsibility for our own actions
Sorry, it doesn't follow that just because something is available it should be legal. Some people can get anthrax but I don't think many people want that to be legal.

Moonchild
Student

Post #82

Post by Moonchild »

No, you are missing the point on purpose.

Drugs, especially Marijuana, should be legal because it is our personal freedom to do what we wish with our own bodies. Cholesterol is bad for you, do you want the government telling you that you can't eat what you want.

People have been getting high for both spiritual and recreational purposes for as long as humankind has existed, why is it now that the masses have decided that the government knows what better for me than I do myself?

The fact that drugs are available reguardless of their illegality proves my point... People are going to do drugs regaurdless, why are we putting people behind bars, and, in some cases ending their chances of having a normal life, because we want to give over our personal freedoms to the government for the ILLUSION of security?

Moonchild
Student

Post #83

Post by Moonchild »

I also want to reply to something that you said at the very beginning of this thread...
Well the reason drugs and crime are related is because doing and selling drugs is a crime.

There is a difference between the drugs companies make and the illegal ones. The drug companies spend billions of dollars on research and development of the drugs and then they are tested by the FDA for years. Once it hits the market if there is some unseen problem they take it off the market. If you wanted to legalize all drugs then shouldn't they have to pass the same tests and criteria... Or should your box of crack you buy at the grocery store just read, "may cause you to go crazy, kill some people, or die."

Also the amount of people that use the drugs will increase and a percentage of those will become dependent, thus reducing the productivity of the American workforce.

In fact, the reason that drugs and crime are related runs a lot deeper than just the buying and sellling of drugs. Drugs and crime are related because the drugs, being illegal are not as easily available, and are not available at a steady price. Therefore, when drug availability goes down, need goes up, and with the need, the price. Then you have not only death and crime in the community of drug users and dealers, but violent crime in the "innocent" population as well, when these users need more money to get their drugs.

Making drugs illegal has solved nothing. Not only has it taken away our personal freedoms and opened the door for the government to take away more, but it has unleashed more crime on our society.

Not only that, but, here in the states, drug addiction is treated as a criminal act, not the health problem that other areas of the world treat it as. Rehabilitation is expensive and not readily available, which just perpetuates the cycle.

In areas like Holland, drug use is rampant, but their crime is 4.5 times less than our in comparison (as a percentage of the population).
They treat drug use as a civilized country should, as a personal choice. And even provide clean needles and drugs to addicts of heroin.
Now tell me, how enticing is heroin when every addict you see has to stand in line in front of a gov't health center for his fix, then goes and lays in the park until he need his next. Not exactly the dark and extremely mysterious qualities of "illegal drugs". And they have fixed the problem of AIDS and hepititis being transmitted through unclean needles.

Seems like they are decades ahead of us in common sense.

TQWcS
Scholar

Post #84

Post by TQWcS »

Drugs, especially Marijuana, should be legal because it is our personal freedom to do what we wish with our own bodies. Cholesterol is bad for you, do you want the government telling you that you can't eat what you want.
If you had weed would you be happy or would you want more? Economics tells us that we always want more. Would all of you freedom yappers want cocaine next? Then maybe crack? Heck, next we will alow you to take smallpox. Do whatever you want we don't care. That's the way to run a nation. Too much freedom can be a scary thing.

mrmufin
Scholar

Post #85

Post by mrmufin »

TQWcS wrote:
Moonchild wrote:Drugs, especially Marijuana, should be legal because it is our personal freedom to do what we wish with our own bodies. Cholesterol is bad for you, do you want the government telling you that you can't eat what you want.
If you had weed would you be happy or would you want more?
Actually, I'd be quite happy with marijuana legalized. No, I probably wouldn't want more, though Moonchild's point is a valid one. We are entitled to our actions and their consequences, including the right to do stupid things, such as eating fifteen canfy bars for breakfast or never exercising or voting for Republicans.
TQWcS wrote:Economics tells us that we always want more. Would all of you freedom yappers want cocaine next? Then maybe crack?
"Freedom yappers." Would you care to take a stab at why that term doesn't bother me at all? While I don't advocate the use of cocaine, and would certainly advise against using it, I probably wouldn't organize the troops to fight its decriminalization. Same for crack. Or heroin. Or LSD. While it's certainly easier to make an affirmative case for legalization of marijuana, given its medical benefits and relative safety, the individual liberty argument for legalization of any substance is, in my opinion, a pretty good one.
TQWcS wrote:Too much freedom can be a scary thing.
Not nearly as scary as the folks who'd like to micromanage every bodily function and personal decision. Since you're playing the slipper slope game, what would you like to make illegal next? Tobacco? Alcohol? High fat foods? Chocolate frosting? Bungee jumping?

Regards,
mrmufin
Historically, bad science has been corrected by better science, not economists, clergy, or corporate interference.

Moonchild
Student

Post #86

Post by Moonchild »

My point exactly, Mrmuffin.

It's time that we fix this situation in regaurds to all areas, not just drug use.
Homeland Security invades our personal rights, but we allow it for that promise of a "safer, more secure" world. It's the same with gun control legislation, and illegal drugs.

Don't you want to limit the government's control over you? They are already making enough money, and spending enough of our tax dollars because drugs are illegal. And for what? A victemless crime?

ST88
Site Supporter

Post #87

Post by ST88 »

TQWcS wrote:Why should I want to legalize all of the drugs? I could care less about peoples freedom when it comes to that. I know that when I have a kid I don't want him to have access to cocaine or heroine.

I believe freedom is important, but it can go too far.
No one is saying that retail outlets should offer MJ to your children. There are age restrictions on a number of other retail items, including alcohol and tobacco (and automobiles). The state of California outlawed cigarette machines for just this reason. It is more likely that children will be exposed to a black market for these products than to be exposed via retail.

I agree that freedom can go too far, but this isn't one of those cases.

Moonchild
Student

Post #88

Post by Moonchild »

I would like to interject a personal question to anyone who is against the legalization of drugs..... I wonder how many of you have actually ever done drugs, and which kinds.
If you feel comfortable answering, I would appreciate it. I believe it would put your beliefs in perspective for me

TQWcS
Scholar

Post #89

Post by TQWcS »

I would like to interject a personal question to anyone who is against the legalization of drugs..... I wonder how many of you have actually ever done drugs, and which kinds.
If you feel comfortable answering, I would appreciate it. I believe it would put your beliefs in perspective for me

Alchohol. That's about it for me. Don't do it on a regular basis or heavily.

I agree that freedom can go too far, but this isn't one of those cases.

She was talking about all drugs. Wouldn't you agree that if all drugs were legalized freedom would go a little too far?

Moonchild
Student

Post #90

Post by Moonchild »

Do you really believe that?

What's worse? All drugs are available and heavily trafficed reguardless of what you might think about suburbia, or the city that you live in. I know kids who ended up dropping out of school , or flunking out, because they started doing drugs so early and couldn't keep up.
Don't give me any mess about their parents either, unless you lock your child up in his room, he/she is going to have the ability to do drugs.

If they were legal, and half as strickly monitored, as say, cigirrettes, people would have to be a certain age to buy them. Think of it as a ABC store for drugs. 2 forms of ID, and a cop at the door just to buy liquor, and that's legal, so drugs could easily be the same.

And pychologically, that would end up being better, because drugs wouldn't have that romantic, mysterious, look to kids like it does when it's illegal.