Never
No votes

Total votes: 30

OnceConvinced
Savant

Are Athiests persecuted in the US?

Post #1

Post by OnceConvinced »

A while ago, I watched an episode of Trading Spouses where a Christian switched with an Athiest. The Athiest claimed that in the States, many athiests are persecuted by Christians due to their beliefs... or lack there of.

Do you agree with this?

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

Beto

Post #31

Post by Beto »

FidelCastro wrote:I didn't think that sounded like something he would say, espicially in public. So here's what I found:
Some guy named Robert I. Sherman claims he said that in a private conversation.

Robert I Sherman sees himself as an advocate of athiests.

He might be a journalist or something.

We can talk about the things people might have said all day long, but it's better to look at what's documented and their actions. Unless you can tell me that you're sure he said that and explain how. I've never seen this quote before.

I really don't think government percieves athiests as a threat, because as a whole they aren't. And I know I've never experienced any discrimination from anyone besides a minority of extremely religious people.
I'm not aware of any official statement denying those alleged words by Mr. Bush Snr.

There is, however, a letter by C. Boyden Gray, to Rob Sherman, as a reply to the letter written by Sherman to the then vice-president, that reads:

"Your letter of December 19, 1988, to President Bush has been referred to me for reply. As you are aware, the President is a religious man who neither supports atheism nor believes that atheism should be unnecessarily encouraged or supported by the government. Needless to say, the President supports the Constitution and laws of the United States, and you may rest assured that this Administration will proceed at all times with due regard for the legal rights of atheists, as will as others with whom the President disagrees."

Existing, this letter confirms that Bush didn't deny saying those things.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Yep

Post #32

Post by JoeyKnothead »

When you have a president (Bush 1) saying that atheists should not be considered citizens, or patriots, that is pretty well damning evidence right there.

We are further persecuted when we are accused of hating america, being immoral, and any number of other usually false accusations.

We are further persecuted when we see the government used to suppress our right to free will (see other posts by me in these forums).

Persecution is not just physical, it is mental as well.