Politics and the teaching of creationism

Two hot topics for the price of one

Moderator: Moderators

otseng
Savant

Politics and the teaching of creationism

Post #1

Post by otseng »

This thread is a continuation of Should Creationism be taught in classrooms? The purpose of this thread is to explore the intersection of politics and the teaching of creationism.

As a background, I argued the following:
otseng wrote: Here is another argument for teaching creationism in public schools. As tax funded organizations, I believe the public should have a say in what gets taught. After all, it is their money. According to Gallop polls, Americans support teaching creationism in schools by a substantial margin.
For debate:
Does teaching creationism in public schools violate the separation of church and state?
What are other political issues that are involved in the teaching of creationism in public schools?

An Observer
Student

Post #2

Post by An Observer »

As I noted in the previous thread, there is no such thing as "separation of church and state" in the US Constitution.

There is an establishment clause. And there is a free exercise clause.

Government mandated exclusion of creationism is seen by many to involve violation of the free exercise clause. While inclusion of creationism is seen my many to involve violation of the establishment clause.

The only solution that does not violate either the establishment clause or the free exercise clause is a solution that involves vouchers.

To elaborate:
I do not think it is possible for a school to refrain from imposing religious rituals/beliefs on children. If a school only dealt with math and logic, it may be possible to keep the schools free from religion. But, the schools are used to impose “culture” on children, in addition to math and logic. And, I do not think it is possible to impose culture without being religious.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, even the word “CHANCE” as used when teaching evolution is loaded with religious significance. It is not possible to use the word CHANCE without being religious. If one were say that CHANCE means something happens for no reason, that person is asserting a religious belief!. …..

I do think the government has a responsibility to help assure all children are educated. However, I also think the only way the government can be neutral regarding religion is if the government were not part of the teaching process.

I think every child should be allotted a certain amount of money that they can then use at any school of the parents choosing. When this happens, it is the parents who are deciding religious issues. Religion is, therefore, not being imposed by the government, nor is it hindered by the government.

ST88
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by ST88 »

An Observer wrote:As I noted in the previous thread, there is no such thing as "separation of church and state" in the US Constitution.
And yet the Establishment Clause has been interpreted that way, as has the Fourteenth Amendment. As far as I can tell, the courts have tried to eke out a path through the sometimes competing ideas of free exercise and governmental restriction. I think this results in the attitude that the people in government can be religious, but that government itself should not be -- it shouldn't establish, promote, or give the appearance of being "involved" in religious activities.
An Observer wrote:I do not think it is possible for a school to refrain from imposing religious rituals/beliefs on children. If a school only dealt with math and logic, it may be possible to keep the schools free from religion. But, the schools are used to impose “culture” on children, in addition to math and logic. And, I do not think it is possible to impose culture without being religious.
This is an interesting point, but I think you go a little too far. For example, it's not possible to discuss the history of Western Civilization without discussing the Crusades or the Inquisition and their contexts. Discussing religion in these cases in unavoidable. But to ascribe culture to religion is merely the eye of the beholder. If anything, U.S. culture is a perfect storm of day-to-day reality, hope for the future, and the fear of losing the past. U.S. culture has religious overtones, but the actual religion behind many parts of the culture has largely been lost. If anything the U.S. is an example of just how secularized religious activities can become. Christmas, Easter, resting on the weekends, attention to diet, charity, domestic abuse, Transcendentalism, scientific inquiry, et al have all been stripped of their religious meaning in order to fit into the larger culture.

I don't necessarily believe that school is a place where culture is taught, but I recaognize that this does happen whether we like it or not. If nothing else, it is an introduction to the social structure that will present itself later.
An Observer wrote:As I mentioned in an earlier post, even the word “CHANCE” as used when teaching evolution is loaded with religious significance. It is not possible to use the word CHANCE without being religious. If one were say that CHANCE means something happens for no reason, that person is asserting a religious belief!. …..
I don't think this is true. It is possible to believe in randomness without being religious about it. If one were to state with all certainty that something occurs "by chance," what does that really mean? If you believed in a deterministic universe via astrophysics, it is not necessary for a religion to exist, because the causes and effects can largely be seen and measured. Those that can't be seen and measured can be scientifically inferred. But because we have not made instruments that can account for all variables in a given situation, even the deterministic universe can be effectively random -- "by chance" becomes a valid measure simply because not every force can be accounted for. This is no more a religion than farming.
An Observer wrote:I do think the government has a responsibility to help assure all children are educated. However, I also think the only way the government can be neutral regarding religion is if the government were not part of the teaching process.

I think every child should be allotted a certain amount of money that they can then use at any school of the parents choosing. When this happens, it is the parents who are deciding religious issues. Religion is, therefore, not being imposed by the government, nor is it hindered by the government.
That's a very interesting take on it. But I would argue that neutrality does not encompass facilitation when it comes to religious schooling. I agree that government should be dispassionate about religion, but this does not mean that it should make an effort to accomodate those who wish a private, not-necessarily-for-profit education. If you believe, as I do, that the government has a responsibility to provide an education that will prepare them for the society at large, then you would not agree that subsidized religious instruction was a desirable outcome. Though religion may be the most important thing in a person's life, it has no bearing on the suitability for an individual to function in society. Often it is not possible to determine someone's religion just by observing them or by assessing their suitability for functioning in a society.

The school, the home, and the church (or place of worship...) should all be separate, in my opinion, as they all have different roles in how children are brought up.

mrmufin
Scholar

Re: Politics and the teaching of creationism

Post #4

Post by mrmufin »

otseng wrote:Does teaching creationism in public schools violate the separation of church and state?
I think this depends largely upon the context of the lesson. If the course is a comparative religions study wherein various creation stories from different cultures are explored, then no, I don't think that there is a violation of church and state. However, when certain parties push for the inclusion of a specific creationist story, to the exclusion of others, in a scientific context, then I think that the establishment clause is being violated and we're no longer doing science.
otseng wrote:What are other political issues that are involved in the teaching of creationism in public schools?
For one, whose creationist model should be taught? There are quite a few creationist stories, ya know... Additionally, there's a huge difference between the following propositions:

1. "The universe and all known life forms within it were created by an heirarchy of gods sometime late last Thursday and designed to appear very old."

and

2. "Most Thursdayists believe that the universe and all known life forms within it were created by an heirarchy of gods sometime late last Thursday and designed to appear very old."

The second statement could be taught as factual, so long as a majority of Thursdayists still hold that belief. The first statement, however, ignores competing creationist myths from Aztecs, Zoroastrians, Hindus, etc., and, even within the context of a comparative religions course, would be a misappropriation of my tax dollars. Neither should be taught in a scientific context, since neither is consistent with the empirical data nor scientific methodologies.

Regards,
mrmufin

Jose
Guru

Post #5

Post by Jose »

otseng wrote:Does teaching creationism in public schools violate the separation of church and state?
I agree with mrmufin. Teaching creationism as one religious account of origins, out of many such religious accounts is acceptable. This provides an accurate historical perspective on different peoples' efforts to understand where they come from, and does not put the schools in the position of propounding a single religious doctrine. However, teaching creationism as if it were science, and as if it were the only valid alternative to evolution, does violate the establishment clause. This has been amply demonstrated by the large number of religious organizations that have stated publicly that creationism has no place in the science curriculum. It also violates the principles of science--unless someone can come up with a way to make creation scientific. This was the focus of the other thread...and we never seemed to come up with a way to teach it scientifically.
An Observer wrote:I do not think it is possible for a school to refrain from imposing religious rituals/beliefs on children. If a school only dealt with math and logic, it may be possible to keep the schools free from religion. But, the schools are used to impose “culture” on children, in addition to math and logic. And, I do not think it is possible to impose culture without being religious.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, even the word “CHANCE” as used when teaching evolution is loaded with religious significance. It is not possible to use the word CHANCE without being religious. If one were say that CHANCE means something happens for no reason, that person is asserting a religious belief!. …..
These two paragraphs are self-contradictory. To teach math and logic completely, one must teach probability and statistics, and thereby talk extensively about CHANCE. If I roll dice, I find that the various possibilities show up in a probabilistic way, that is best described as CHANCE. Is this religious? Is it necessarily the case that God is, or is not, guiding the dice? What about physics, and the interactions of the corners of the dice with the table, given the specific coefficient of friction, angle of incidence, etc? We get different numbers upon different rolls by CHANCE, but not without reasons.

Similarly, statistical analysis of mutation indicates that we cannot distinguish mutation from a random, or CHANCE process. This is a part of basic genetics, which Creationists claim to accept as part of science. There is no religion involved. Because mutations occur at random, or by chance, is there no reason that they occur? No. The reason is DNA damage by chemical or radiational mutagens, or by error in DNA replication or repair. There is always a reason. What would make it religious would be the assertion that there is always a Guiding Hand in mutation, choosing the specific nucleotides that are altered.
I do think the government has a responsibility to help assure all children are educated. However, I also think the only way the government can be neutral regarding religion is if the government were not part of the teaching process.
On the one hand, it's too late--the government has already become part of the teaching process. The most recent example is Bush's No Child Left Behind law, which is pushing science teaching toward the worst-possible pedagogy of memorizing facts in order to pass a multiple-choice test. Still, the government has a responsibility toward its citizens to give them an education that prepares them for the world in which they will live. The world is becoming more technologically sophisticated, with instantaneous communication possible--among, between, and within groups of very different religious traditions. This indicates to me that the government has a responsibility to ensure that each student's scientific training is as up-to-date as possible, and that each student's cultural views include a willingness to work comfortably with people of very different cultural, religious, ethnic, racial, (etc) groups. Unfortunately, accurate science teaching, although necessary to enable individuals, and the country, to succeed in the future, is always going to be at odds with some of the teachings of different religions.

Yet, teaching accurate science has no impact on the free exercise clause. Students are not prevented from exercising their religious beliefs. They are simply given additional information to think about. Their parents are always free to tell them "we don't believe in science in our house," or "don't worry about that stuff; we know that the earth is actually carried on the back of a giant turtle," or "ignore it; Kohoutek is coming."
The only solution that does not violate either the establishment clause or the free exercise clause is a solution that involves vouchers....

Within the constraints of ensuring that every student is taught the things that are necessary for success in the world they will enter, this might be fine. However, if it means that students will take my tax dollars to learn only about dianetics, and to shun modern science, or to become indoctrinated in a fundamentalist terrorism religion, then this is a misuse of public funds. Public funding must come with certain minimum educational standards attached. If parents wish to send their children to private religious schools, they may--but they should pay the tuition themselves, not use public funds. I had no problem with this when I sent my son to Christian school, and I have no problem with it still.

Unfortunately, it has not proven to be possible for parents to send their children to the school of their choice, even with the allotted money that should enable them to do so. Some schools have been labeled as "failing" by NCLB criteria, so the parents have been given the opportunity to send their children elsewhere. In many cases, there was no elsewhere available. The other schools were full. As our newspaper headline said, Poor Children are Being Left Behind. This serves as a test-case for the idea of vouchers--and proves it to be unworkable unless we can ensure that more good schools are available. Vouchers will only work if the schools are better, but if the schools are better, we don't need vouchers.
Panza llena, corazon contento

przemeknowicki
Student

Post #6

Post by przemeknowicki »

Jose wrote:
I agree with mrmufin. Teaching creationism as one religious account of origins, out of many such religious accounts is acceptable. This provides an accurate historical perspective on different peoples' efforts to understand where they come from, and does not put the schools in the position of propounding a single religious doctrine....

I understand that the above quote out of the context of the entire message you posted does not represent well where you stand on the issue. However, I need it to signal some interesting questions.

In my opinion, Christians who argue for teaching creationism in schools, or who oppose teaching evolution without some kind of officially sanctioned objections are seriously misled in understanding their own religion.

What is the subject of religion? What is the valid subject of religion? Is it faith, or is it science? Is it material or is it spiritual? Of course, religion is not science and it is not about the laws operating in the material domain. Now, what is school? I think we have schools so our kids get prepared to function in the world where science is the king in terms of jobs or even demands of daily life dominated by the media, machines and technology.

Fight for introducing creationism to schools is first of all the sign of weakness. Science can be perceived as a threat only by those who don't have faith in their own system of believes. Of course, there are Christians who don't suffer from the schizophrenia of seeing themselves entangled in the battle between science and religion. And of course, those Christians are superior in Spirit and in Spirituality to those who are afraid of the evolution theory.

Century after century religions ridiculed themselves by trying to argue with science. And it seems that the pattern will continue until we all finally get trained in the history of churches and religions in secular schools run by teachers educated in science. Or, if we read the Bible again and think about what Jesus had in mind telling the crowd to give to God what's His and to Caesar what's material.

Now let's consider the question if faith could be taught in school or does it belong to Church and family. It is interesting to note that those who insist on teaching the "moral values" in schools are those who have the least amount of faith in what secular schools represent and stand for. Another indication of thinking, which precludes any rational debate.

The worst punishment for those insisting on teaching creationism in schools would be to let them have it. Let their children be brainwashed into medieval mentality and fall behind civilized (and prospering word). Unless, of course, they have in mind teaching my children to which I wholeheartedly object.

Respectfully,

Thomas Orr

hannahjoy
Apprentice

Post #7

Post by hannahjoy »

Fight for introducing creationism to schools is first of all the sign of weakness. Science can be perceived as a threat only by those who don't have faith in their own system of believes. Of course, there are Christians who don't suffer from the schizophrenia of seeing themselves entangled in the battle between science and religion. And of course, those Christians are superior in Spirit and in Spirituality to those who are afraid of the evolution theory
I don't think any Creationist is afraid of science - the assumption of Creationism is that true science will support Creationism, and that evolution is false.
The worst punishment for those insisting on teaching creationism in schools would be to let them have it. Let their children be brainwashed into medieval mentality and fall behind civilized (and prospering word). Unless, of course, they have in mind teaching my children to which I wholeheartedly object.
You don't want schools teaching your kids something you believe to be false - why should Creationists want schools teaching their kids something they believe to be false?
"Bearing shame and scoffing rude,
In my place condemned He stood;
Sealed my pardon with His blood;
Hallelujah! What a Saviour!"
- Philip P. Bliss, 1838-1876

Corvus
Guru

Post #8

Post by Corvus »

hannahjoy wrote:
You don't want schools teaching your kids something you believe to be false - why should Creationists want schools teaching their kids something they believe to be false?
How far does this extend? If I feel mathematics or history or geography or English with its fruity poems and plays is the devil's subject, could I reasonably withdraw my child from the subject, even if it is compulsory? Could conscientiously objecting parents decide their children's curriculum's willy nilly? If I believed everything a school teaches is false, does that mean I don't need to educate my children?
<i>'Beauty is truth, truth beauty,—that is all
Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.'</i>
-John Keats, Ode on a Grecian Urn.

Karl
Student

Was the first origin of Life Guided or unguided?

Post #9

Post by Karl »

(Jose - Sat Jan 15, 2005 10:47 AM)
.....As our newspaper headline said, Poor Children are Being Left Behind. This serves as a test-case for the idea of vouchers--and proves it to be unworkable unless we can ensure that more good schools are available. Vouchers will only work if the schools are better, but if the schools are better, we don't need vouchers.....
Well said. I don't agree with vouchers, either. Efforts should be made to bring ALL of the schools up to the same high level of quality. The neo-con oligarchists are for vouchers for the obvious reason that those who can afford to will still send their kids to private schools, and then they can get a tax credit which will further hurt education funding for the less fortunate. Of course, the oligarchist could care less about those other kids.

My own personal belief is that in the Universe, Life is an unfolding evolvement Guided by Universal Higher Power/Intelligence. I do not believe the biblical account, where Creation was being allegedly literally accomplished in 144 hours, complete with rib surgery on "Adam" as the basis for "Eve".

Although I find the Humanist Manifesto III to be a most admirable work of Philosophy, I do not subscribe to the "unguided" position in paragraph 5 or the "finality of death" position in paragraph 7. For the benefit of readers who may never have read the HMIII, it can be viewed here: http://www.americanhumanist.org/3/Human ... ations.htm

Both the Guided and unguided positions as to the first origin of Life are....conjecture. Science has demonstrated Natural selection and evolvement in existing species. As I mentioned earlier, I do not subscribe to the unguided position that spontaneously, the first Life arose from a primorial soup of chemicals, from which compounds formed and proteins, etc and then eventually came together and started generating the Life Energy by which it started to replicate itself. Since the first step in the Scientific Method is OBSERVATION, I do not call evolution a "theory", because this first step has never been observed during occurrence, either in Nature or in the lab.

As a reference, I have also provided a link which describes the Scientific Method:
http://teacher.nsrl.rochester.edu/phy_l ... ndixE.html

As has been stated, problems arise when creation Myths from differing cultures are discussed in a Science class, because in order to be fair, one would have to discuss ALL of them, if one were to discuss one of them. We run into the same type of problem with things like the "ten commandments" monument that was in the Alabama court house. If we are going to display a 5,000-pound granite monument for one religion in a public building, to be fair, we would have to be displaying an equal 5,000-pound granite monument for each of the hundreds upon hundreds of religions we can think of. This is obviously not tenable. As far as things like "The Crusades", etc. goes, if they are taught in the context of being historical events, that's certainly OK.

As per the Constitution, religious displays and teaching do not belong in any public institution funded by the state. On the other hand, what is taught as "Science" (e.g. evolution being referred to as a "theory") should be only what Science has actually demonstrated via the Scientific Method, and nothing more.

Mention the words Guided and unguided, but let people make their choices as to those positions outside of the classroom.

K
In Ma'at

(Mystical Kemet)

przemeknowicki
Student

Post #10

Post by przemeknowicki »

hannahjoy wrote:

The difference is that those who insist on teaching Creationism in schools are confused at best, to repeat the message from my previous post. My expectations regarding the school and my children are coherent and rationale. In education those whose curriculum proposals are grounded in science are the competent ones. I want my child to be trained by the most competent experts so the child is prepared the best for life. It is not the matter of truth. It is the matter of giving the child the best and I think that the best can only come from the experts.

It is quite possible that evolution as understood and thought now will be proven false and replaced by something else. But what difference does it make? If the evolution theory falls it is not because of the work done by the creationists but because of the progress in science. It is not a matter of truth as you naively believe. Even if the evolution theory falls, the time spent in school studying it will not be lost. It will teach my child the method of exploring the world that science proved to be so successful. You proposal is nothing more that the desire to bring the discord into a harmoniously working house. Even Jesus warned against such practices.

Let me ask you a question. Why do you send your child to school (it is a hypothetical question, I understand that you may not have a child)? Because it is a law? Or because you have some expectations regarding your child and its future? What kind of expectations do you have regarding your child? What I sense from your reply is that you don't trust the school very much. You suspect that it teaches false things that you don't want your child to learn. However, your suspicions are not grounded in anything rationale. You probably object to school because you trust the Bible more. But what does the Bible have anything to do with school and science?

Time after time the clergy and religious zealots were trying to "correct" the science believing that their own inspirations over God's words in the Bible are superior to the hard work of scientists. Unfortunately such attitudes are nothing but wishful thinking. When you see a danger coming do you run for cover, or you stop in your tracks and pray? In case you are confused what the proper action would be I can help you. First, you run for the cover. The, when the danger is over you pray.

How would you feel if I proposed that in your church the portrait of the current president and excerpts from the Constitution must be displayed in the most visible place? Well, this is how I feel about what the creationists propose. Except ...

I am actually proposing that the churches start showing respect for secular authorities and secular principles holding the society together. Given the now widely spread problems with religious radicals my proposal is something constructive and needed.

Regards,

Thomas Orr