Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

Swami
Scholar

Re: What is ' consciousness ' ?

Post #51

Post by Swami »

Tcg wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:52 am
Swami wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:52 pm Meditation proves that I can exist without mental input, sensory input, and even without the body.
Give that your body doesn't cease to exist when you meditate, this clearly isn't true. Neither mental input nor sensory input cease either, so that claim is also false. Meditation may be fun for its practitioners, but it doesn't prove the things you claim it does.
There are two ways of perceiving. The default for many is perception through the senses and mind. Then there is a perception that does not rely on the senses and mind. The scientists will tell you that the former type of perception is tainted, and that a reality exists beyond our experience of it. Scientists assume the nature of this reality.

The latter type of perception is not tainted because it is not filtered through the mind nor senses. It is a state of pure awareness (pure perception?). Once one gathers enough experience of this perception it will only lead to the conclusion that nothing exists apart from this awareness.

As for existence of the body, when I start meditation I can sense my body, its boundaries, etc. As I get further into meditation, this perception of my body fades, and I start to perceive myself as boundless and even self-less. At this point, I am no longer isolated to a body but rather I become one with the entire Universe.

According to QM, the world exists only as a cloud of simultaneous, overlapping possibilities—technically called a “superposition”—until an observation brings one of these possibilities into focus in the form of definite objects and events. This transition is technically called a “measurement.” One of the keys to our argument for a mental world is the contention that only conscious observers can perform measurements.
https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/ob ... mechanics/

"I regard consciousness as fundamental. I regard matter as derivative from consciousness. We cannot get behind consciousness. Everything that we talk about, everything that we regard as existing, postulates consciousness."
- Max Planck, the father of quantum physics

Yoga Vasistha,Book I, ch. 3
2 Valmiki replied:— Know, holy saint, that the things seen in this world are deceiving, even as the blueness of the sky is an optical illusion. Therefore it is better to efface them in oblivion rather than to keep their memory. 3 All visible objects have no actual existence. We have no idea of them except through sensation. Inquire into these apprehensions and you will never find them as real.

Thomas123
Sage

Post #52

Post by Thomas123 »

Hi Swami,
I am not in a position where I can dismiss any of your submission. There is a movement towards consciousness being a dimension that should be wonderful if it is in anyway true.

I see consciousness as being a consequence of life evolving on earth. It is for me, directionless and arbitrary in that it will always be manipulated and moulded by chance and accident. Who knows what it will become and what life form will carry the baton for the last leg of this cosmic sprint.

Is the universe there at all. Is the argument for a physical reality circular or independent?

Opinions, please!

Thomas123
Sage

Post #53

Post by Thomas123 »

We are on a desert island.
Things are as they are.
We need to investigate and exploit the possibilities of our situation.
We cannot fantasise about ' a mainland'.
We cannot talk to 'Wilson'.

This place can be great if we use our intelligence and we simply need nothing else, either now or in the future.

We do not need rockets, bombs, fantasies of escape, apprehensions about entrapment, etc. Aliens are a figment of our lazy intellects and our fellow man should not be a competitor.
How hard is it to behave rationally?
Are we hopeless?