What is ' consciousness ' ?

Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

Thomas123
Sage

What is ' consciousness ' ?

Post #1

Post by Thomas123 »

This word appears to be at the centre of many discussions on this forum. It also appears to mean different things to different people and, therein lies the root of our miscommunication. What range and definement do you attribute to, ' consciousness ' ?

Is there an external consciousness in the world?. Can I tune into a shared consciousness. I am listening to Prime Minister's Question Time, ....is Boris tuned into a universal human consciousness as he delivers his address. Is his brain working ,simultaneously and in tandem with my own consciousness and with that of others?

Tcg
Savant

Re: What is ' consciousness ' ?

Post #171

Post by Tcg »

[Replying to Sherlock Holmes in post #168]

Here's a picture that illustrates the differences:

The one animal has hair, the other one has hair.

The one has lips while the other has lips.

The one animal has external structures the support hearing while the other has the same thing.

One has two eyes facing forward while the other... well... has the same.

Wait, what are the differences?

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Sherlock Holmes

Post #172

Post by Sherlock Holmes »

Tcg wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 4:24 am [Replying to Sherlock Holmes in post #168]

The one animal has external structures the support hearing while the other has the same thing.

Tcg
Chimps can't cook, don't keep and care for pets or have an opposable thumb, there are many other differences too.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #173

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Cut a human.

Cut a chimp.

Report your findings.

To declare, in 2022, that humans ain't animals, is as goofy as anything Trump's ever done.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

Tcg
Savant

Post #174

Post by Tcg »

Sherlock Holmes wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 10:04 am
Tcg wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 4:24 am [Replying to Sherlock Holmes in post #168]

Tcg
Chimps can't cook, don't keep and care for pets or have an opposable thumb, there are many other differences too.
Humans can't fly, or dive from the sky unaided and don't have feathers or fins or gills or wings or blow holes. Of course, different species have different traits/abilities. If they didn't, they wouldn't be a different species. In spite of these things humans lack, they're still animals.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Sherlock Holmes

Post #175

If humans were animals there'd be no distinction between a doctor and a vet, and we'd have no need for this definition:

So, since a vet treats animals and people don't (well, I don't) visit a vet when their sick, people really aren't animals.

I rest my case.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #176

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Sherlock Holmes wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 9:34 am If humans were animals there'd be no distinction between a doctor and a vet, and we'd have no need for this definition:

So, since a vet treats animals and people don't (well, I don't) visit a vet when *their sick, people really aren't animals.

I rest my case.
*They're

Grammar, ya know.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

Sherlock Holmes

Post #177

Jose Fly
Guru

Post #178

Post by Jose Fly »

Sherlock Holmes wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 9:34 am If humans were animals
Taxonomically, humans (H. sapiens) are animals.

But if you're not speaking to taxonomy, then what constitutes an "animal" is largely subjective.
Being apathetic is great....or not. I don't really care.

Clownboat
Savant

Post #179

Post by Clownboat »

Sherlock Holmes wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 9:34 am If humans were animals there'd be no distinction between a doctor and a vet, and we'd have no need for this definition:

So, since a vet treats animals and people don't (well, I don't) visit a vet when their sick, people really aren't animals.

I rest my case.
We are all now dumber for having read this.
We award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul.

At the risk of debating at your level:
A spokeswoman for the British Veterinary Association pointed out that animals could not give their permission to have someone other than a vet treating them, whereas vets could treat humans, if the patients agreed.

Your case has surely been put to rest and it is sad indeed as to how we got there (ignoring taxonomic classifications to submit going to a vet or not determines the classification of humans). :dizzy:
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

Sherlock Holmes

Post #180

Clownboat wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 1:41 pm

I rest my case.
A spokeswoman for the British Veterinary Association pointed out that animals could not give their permission to have someone other than a vet treating them, whereas vets could treat humans, if the patients agreed.
So, what term did that spokeswoman use to describe a vet's patients, patients that cannot give permission? She said "animals could not give their permission" which we all know is true, animals cannot do that, since humans can give permission then they cannot be animals else that spokeswoman would not have said what she said.

Now it seems some of us, myself included, have rather veered off topic, so consider this my last word on this "animals" issue.