How Crazy does Evolution Seem?

Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

Purple Knight
Prodigy

How Crazy does Evolution Seem?

Post #1

Post by Purple Knight »

This is not a question of whether or not evolution is crazy, but how crazy it seems at first glance.

That is, when we discard our experiences and look at claims as if through new eyes, what do we find when we look at evolution? I Believe we can find a great deal of common ground with this question, because when I discard my experience as an animal breeder, when I discard my knowledge, and what I've been taught, I might look at evolution with the same skepticism as someone who has either never been taught anything about it, or someone who has been taught to distrust it.

Personally my mind goes to the keratinised spines on the tongues of cats. Yes, cats have fingernails growing out of their tongues! Gross, right? Well, these particular fingernails have evolved into perfect little brushes for the animal's fur. But I think of that first animal with a horrid growth of keratin on its poor tongue. The poor thing didn't die immediately, and this fits perfectly with what I said about two steps back paying for one forward. This detrimental mutation didn't hurt the animal enough for the hapless thing to die of it, but surely it caused some suffering. And persevering thing that he was, he reproduced despite his disability (probably in a time of plenty that allowed that). But did he have the growths anywhere else? It isn't beyond reason to think of them protruding from the corners of his eyes or caking up more and more on the palms of his hands. Perhaps he had them where his eyelashes were, and it hurt him to even blink. As disturbing as my mental picture is of this scenario, this sad creature isn't even as bad off as this boar, whose tusks grew up and curled until they punctured his brain.

This is a perfect example of a detrimental trait being preserved because it doesn't hurt the animal enough to kill it before it mates. So we don't have to jump right from benefit to benefit. The road to a new beneficial trait might be long, going backwards most of the way, and filled with a lot of stabbed brains and eyelids.

Walking backwards most of the time, uphill both ways, and across caltrops almost the entire trip?

I have to admit, thinking about walking along such a path sounds like, at very least, a very depressing way to get from A to B. I would hope there would be a better way.

Jose Fly
Guru

Re: How Crazy does Evolution Seem?

Post #1131

Post by Jose Fly »

William wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 2:01 pm [Replying to Jose Fly in post #1125]
My points were to agree with what the eye tells us [humans and apes look similar] but also to show that what the eye sees is only flesh and bone, and to peel those away from what makes a personality, one is left with something distinctly non-human or ape-like.
How so?
And.....?
Being apathetic is great....or not. I don't really care.

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Post #1132

Post by Eloi »

Tell me how the fact that some scientists have decided to include what they call homo sapiens among the apes, "taxonomically", can make me believe that human beings are some species of ape.

Jose Fly
Guru

Post #1133

Post by Jose Fly »

Eloi wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 2:14 pm Tell me how the fact that some scientists have decided to include what they call homo sapiens among the apes, "taxonomically", can make me believe that human beings are some species of ape.
Huh? What you believe is entirely up to you. If you don't like humans being classified among the apes, then don't accept it. FYI, no one else will really care.

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Post #1134

Post by Eloi »

Jose Fly wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 2:16 pm
Eloi wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 2:14 pm Tell me how the fact that some scientists have decided to include what they call homo sapiens among the apes, "taxonomically", can make me believe that human beings are some species of ape.
Huh? What you believe is entirely up to you. If you don't like humans being classified among the apes, then don't accept it. FYI, no one else will really care.
I don't really mind.
None of you can convince me with any scientific method that I am an ape. :D

Jose Fly
Guru

Post #1135

Post by Jose Fly »

Eloi wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 2:19 pm None of you can convince me with any scientific method that I am an ape. :D
I appreciate your honesty.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #1136

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Eloi wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 1:47 pm I don't know who you think you're dealing with, but that's not true: we do not see any of that, and we'd never seen any of that, since "evolution" is a process that suppossily happened in millions and millions and millions of years. You are not that old. Otherwise, macroevolution is not microevolution.

PD: Are you going to try to convince me with a long speech that apes developed bigger brains because learning to cook gave them more time to think? ... I am not so easily impressed.
Cooking our food provides for better energy pickup, as well as a reduction in pathogens.

Sorry if that speech was too long.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #1137

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Eloi wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 2:19 pm
Jose Fly wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 2:16 pm
I don't really mind.
None of you can convince me with any scientific method that I am an ape. :D
We can't convince the chimps of it either.

It doesn’t matter one's acceptance of fact, but that fact has been presented.

Humans meet all the physical / scientific criteria for being apes, whether the gods put us up to it or not.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

Diogenes
Guru

Post #1138

Post by Diogenes »

What YOU believe is not the issue. "Ape" is a term coined, not by you, but by those who classify animals. Your alternate set of facts, called 'creationism' is less well explained:
:D

Before You Embark On A Journey Of Revenge, Dig Two Graves

— Confucius

DrNoGods
Prodigy

Post #1139

Post by DrNoGods »

[Replying to Eloi in post #1134]
Tell me how the fact that some scientists have decided to include what they call homo sapiens among the apes, "taxonomically", can make me believe that human beings are some species of ape.
Taxonomy is just a classification scheme used to organize information. Since the fossil record and genetics have demonstrated conclusively that moden Homo sapiens evolved from a great ape ancestor, it makes perfect sense to classify us in that group. If you (or anyone else) can show otherwise (ie. that we didn't evolve from apes) then the taxonomy would instantly change to reflect this new information.
In human affairs the sources of success are ever to be found in the fountains of quick resolve and swift stroke; and it seems to be a law, inflexible and inexorable, that he who will not risk cannot win.
John Paul Jones, 1779

The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read.
Mark Twain

William
Savant

Post #1140

Post by William »

Jose Fly wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 2:02 pm
William wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 2:01 pm [Replying to Jose Fly in post #1125]
My points were to agree with what the eye tells us [humans and apes look similar] but also to show that what the eye sees is only flesh and bone, and to peel those away from what makes a personality, one is left with something distinctly non-human or ape-like.
How so?
And.....?
GM: Who Knows Who?
The Limitations
When feeling lost
Have A Look At The Map
Adjusted Reality
Loving-kindness
The Jellyfish Image

William: The Jellyfish image is like the image of the nervous system. The nervous system is near the heart of what makes a human, a "person" whereas taxonomy is simply interested in categorizing the human being in relation to the external flesh and bone material which encases the nervous system.

The flesh and bone material does influence a persons idea of who they are, but without the nervous system, the person would not exist as a personality...so taxonomy can only offer an incomplete picture - surface scratching rather than digging deeper into what is beneath the surface. That is why the expression "Humans are Apes" is incomplete - gives an incomplete picture and defines according to that incompleteness.

In appearance, humans are more related to what Jellyfish look like - re the nervous system...once the flesh and bone are removed to reveal said system.

Consciousness goes even deeper than the nervous system, and cannot easily be pictured. I would say that consciousness does not reside only with the brain but throughout the nervous system...mostly operating without the personality being conscious of said operations, and in relation to subconscious operations [re psychology/ the human mind] the personality can connect and interact with said subconscious activity, thereby learning from that vast resource...
{SOURCE}