evolutionary attack

Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

Wootah
Savant

evolutionary attack

Post #1

Post by Wootah »

Is there a word for when one creature convinces another creature to not do something in its evolutionary interest?

Like when a cuckoo bird takes over a nest and the other bird feeds it thinking it is feeding its children?

Or more to my point, if I can convince someone they are gay or should not have children because of the planet or there is no God - what would be the word for that?
Last edited by Wootah on Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

DrNoGods
Prodigy

Re: evolutionary attack

Post #2

Post by DrNoGods »

[Replying to Wootah in post #1]
Or more to my point, if I can convince someone they are gay or should not have children because of the planet or there is no God - what would be the word for that?
Not sure I see the connection between science and religion on this one (or what an "evolutionary attack" is), but what does someone's sexual orientation, or desire (or not) to have children, have to do with "the planet" (the planet's welfare?) or a belief (or not) in gods? I don't know of any correlation between belief in gods, or lack of belief in gods, and the number of children someone may have. Do atheists have less children than theists? Has anyone tried to measure that?
In human affairs the sources of success are ever to be found in the fountains of quick resolve and swift stroke; and it seems to be a law, inflexible and inexorable, that he who will not risk cannot win.
John Paul Jones, 1779

The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read.
Mark Twain

Wootah
Savant

Post #3

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to DrNoGods in post #2]

Maybe the term is gaslighting. But it seems so unofficial.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

The Barbarian
Sage

Post #4

Post by The Barbarian »

Wootah wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:24 pm Is there a word for when one creature convinces another creature to not do something in its evolutionary interest?

Like when a cuckoo bird takes over a next and the other bird feeds it thinking it is feeding its children?

Natural selection. If the environment has creatures like that, then members of the population most vulnerable to the effects of those creatures will leave fewer offspring and their alleles will be eventually removed from the population.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #5

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Wootah wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:24 pm Is there a word for when one creature convinces another creature to not do something in its evolutionary interest?
Conservatism.
Like when a cuckoo bird takes over a nest and the other bird feeds it thinking it is feeding its children?
Parasitism.
Goofyism.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #6

Post by JoeyKnothead »

DrNoGods wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:15 pm [Replying to Wootah in post #1]
Not sure I see the connection between science and religion on this one (or what an "evolutionary attack" is), but what does someone's sexual orientation, or desire (or not) to have children, have to do with "the planet" (the planet's welfare?) or a belief (or not) in gods? I don't know of any correlation between belief in gods, or lack of belief in gods, and the number of children someone may have. Do atheists have less children than theists? Has anyone tried to measure that?
I'm aware of one or more religious notions where the idea is to outbreed the heathen infidels.

As if more believers equals more Jesus. A Jesusier society.
-Punkinhead Martin

Wootah
Savant

Post #7

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to JoeyKnothead in post #5]

Parasitism but not quite.

Like if I convince you to cut your penis off or to stop eating meat so you get sick all the time?

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #8

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Wootah wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:24 pm [Replying to JoeyKnothead in post #5]

Parasitism but not quite.

Like if I convince you to cut your penis off or to stop eating meat so you get sick all the time?
Firstly, I'm a bit concerned with your fascination regarding the penis cutting off, and secondly, many folks prefer a vegetarian diet for a variety of reasons.

You seem to be angling for some scientific term that lends support for fussing on liberals.

With that in mind, if I was you, I'd just let folks know I was a conservative Christian. They'll figure out the rest.

But really what I recommend for ya, don't be cutting off folkses penises - least not without em asking ya to.
-Punkinhead Martin

Wootah
Savant

Post #9

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to JoeyKnothead in post #8]

You know maybe it really is just peer pressure or very likely 'girardian': We create these people as sacrifices to feel better about ourselves.

I've always noticed that element, supporting gay lifestyles suits me most of the time because I can then get away with my lifestyle.
There is a line in the Bible that applies:

The Pharisee and the Tax Collector
Luke 18:9 He also told this parable to some who trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and treated others with contempt: 10 “Two men went up into the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. 11 The Pharisee, standing by himself, prayed[a] thus: ‘God, I thank you that I am not like other men, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even like this tax collector. 12 I fast twice a week; I give tithes of all that I get.’ 13 But the tax collector, standing far off, would not even lift up his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, ‘God, be merciful to me, a sinner!’ 14 I tell you, this man went down to his house justified, rather than the other. For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, but the one who humbles himself will be exalted.”
We want these people to exist so we can say thank God we are not like them.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #10

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Wootah wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:14 am [Replying to JoeyKnothead in post #8]
You know maybe it really is just peer pressure or very likely 'girardian': We create these people as sacrifices to feel better about ourselves.
Why not just accept that some folks don't give a dang about how you think they oughta be?

Does a surgeon really lop of a man's penis cause that surgeon needs to feel better about themselves?

I propose if there's a problem here, it's the threat you feel cause when you look in a mirror, maybe you have doubts and desires you're not comfortable to think on, or even try to understand.
I've always noticed that element, supporting gay lifestyles suits me most of the time because I can then get away with my lifestyle.
Kinda. For every gay man, that's less competition for me.

And what about the bigoted lifestyle should we find so worthy?

There is a line in the Bible that applies:

The Pharisee and the Tax Collector
Luke 18:9 He also told this parable to some who trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and treated others with contempt: 10 “Two men went up into the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. 11 The Pharisee, standing by himself, prayed[a] thus: ‘God, I thank you that I am not like other men, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even like this tax collector. 12 I fast twice a week; I give tithes of all that I get.’ 13 But the tax collector, standing far off, would not even lift up his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, ‘God, be merciful to me, a sinner!’ 14 I tell you, this man went down to his house justified, rather than the other. For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, but the one who humbles himself will be exalted.”
Jesus lived and died a virgin, after spending so much time with a bunch of other dudes who themselves were never reported to have even made googly eyes at a girl, much less to've kissed em one.

Again, I'm compelled to conclude you and that mirror need to have a long think.
We want these people to exist so we can say thank God we are not like them.
Whereas I want em to exist just on account of they're my fellow humans.

What is this strange kink some Christians have with fretting the gays, when their posterboy for morality is so often shown hanging out with dudes, wearing a dress, and sporting long hair?

Heck, even his own dad couldn't bear the thought of bedding a chick down. Had to use a magic turkey baster.

Face it, ya'll gay hating Christians got it all wrong, and tell us more about your own 'twisted' desires, than ya do the desires of others.

Just embrace it, in y'all's Christian way...

We're here!
We're queer!
And we hate ourselves for it!
-Punkinhead Martin