Questions about the Earth

Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

servant
Apprentice

Questions about the Earth

Post #1

Post by servant »

Did science or the bible first note that the earth hangs on nothing?

Did science or the bible first note that the earth was a circle and not flat?

Furrowed Brow
Site Supporter

Post #11

Post by Furrowed Brow »

Sorry Servant and Goat I think I got you two all mixed up on my last. It was late and I had had a beer. :drunk:

QED
Prodigy

Post #12

Post by QED »

servant wrote:It talks about the earth being round in Isaiah 40:22: "It is he that sits upon the circle of the earth."

This was written somewhere between 740 and 680 B.C.
I can't help thinking it would have been pretty obvious to anyone having a serious think about things. After all the Persians and Babylonians were pretty hot on their astronomy some 3000 years ago. Both the Sun and Moon show a clear disc, and the horizon of the Earth looks curved when at sea. I rather suspect it was a little bit of (anonymous now) "scientific thinking" that started off this notion.

servant
Apprentice

Post #13

Post by servant »

Servant wrote:
Why do you think a circle is not flat?
Yep.

Servant wrote:
A circle is a two dimensional object. Therefore,by definition, a circle is flat.

Darn it. We agree again.

Servant wrote:
You are thinking of a ball.. that is 3D.

Well not exactly a perfect sphere. The earth bulges a bit. But I'll cut you some slack.

Servant wrote:
Your right the bible first talks about the earth being expanded in space and the earth not being flat.
Please dont mis quote me. I did not post this. Goat did.

The earth hangs in space which science did not discover until 1650. The bible first notes that the earth is not flat as previously stated.

Furrowed Brow
Site Supporter

Post #14

Post by Furrowed Brow »

servant wrote:
Servant wrote:
Why do you think a circle is not flat?
Yep.

Servant wrote:
A circle is a two dimensional object. Therefore,by definition, a circle is flat.

Darn it. We agree again.

Servant wrote:
You are thinking of a ball.. that is 3D.

Well not exactly a perfect sphere. The earth bulges a bit. But I'll cut you some slack.

Servant wrote:
Your right the bible first talks about the earth being expanded in space and the earth not being flat.
Please dont mis quote me. I did not post this. Goat did.

The earth hangs in space which science did not discover until 1650. The bible first notes that the earth is not flat as previously stated.
As I said two posts back - very sorry. But the three misquotes I attributed to you were the ones in principle I found myself agreeing with. :-k

servant
Apprentice

Post #15

Post by servant »

sorry furrowed I posted then realized you had posted saying sorry. did that make sense?

Furrowed Brow
Site Supporter

Post #16

Post by Furrowed Brow »

servant wrote:sorry furrowed I posted then realized you had posted saying sorry. did that make sense?
:D

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #17

Post by Goat »

servant wrote: The earth hangs in space which science did not discover until 1650. The bible first notes that the earth is not flat as previously stated.
The greeks actually figured it out before the Torah was written.

It is just that the Hebrews took their cosmology from the Egyptians and the Babylonians.... not the Greeks.

And, a circle is flat, not 3D.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

The Duke of Vandals
Banned
Banned

Re: Questions about the Earth

Post #18

Post by The Duke of Vandals »

servant wrote:Did science or the bible first note that the earth hangs on nothing?

Did science or the bible first note that the earth was a circle and not flat?
Servant, let's get something straight.
The bible tells us:
  • The Earth came into existence about 6000 years ago (which is when humans discovered glue).
  • Humans are descended from dirt named Adam and a rib named Eve.
  • Humans can survive inside whales because whales swallow people whole.
  • Every animal is descended from one male and one female of its species and humans are all inbred.
  • Light existed before anything was around to generate it.
  • Slavery is A-okay.
The list of silly claims goes on and on and on.

Anything the bible states about the universe that happens to be true (which as far as I've seen is nothing) is the guesswork of bronze & iron age hippies sitting in tents guessing.

Science is the opposite of guesswork. It seeks to investigate and understand.

Which is a better tool for understanding unknowns?

Why, in the age of the internet, are you so eager to choke down the offal of sandal-wearing primitives?

servant
Apprentice

Post #19

Post by servant »

Vandal

Thanks for the straighting me out :D I feel much better now.

Let me ask you a question. Do you have 100 percent knowledge?

QED
Prodigy

Post #20

Post by QED »

servant wrote:Let me ask you a question. Do you have 100 percent knowledge?
How could the answer to this actually point to anything meaningful? Knowledge acquired with the same intellectual tool-set that's generated the fruits of technology you enjoy today has incomparable value with so-called knowledge assembled by medieval committees.