"A FLOOD of NONSENSE! - Global Flood or Mass Extinctions?"

Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

Miles
Savant

"A FLOOD of NONSENSE! - Global Flood or Mass Extinctions?"

Post #1

Post by Miles »

A delightful explanation of why the notion of a global flood---the Noachian Flood---doesn't make any sense.

Question: Is any of what Forrest Valkai, the host, said, wrong? If so, what and why?

LittleNipper
Scholar

Re: "A FLOOD of NONSENSE! - Global Flood or Mass Extinctions?"

Post #201

Post by LittleNipper »

Clownboat wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 12:58 pm
LittleNipper wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:50 am Not at all? Was it a Catholic institution? Was it affiliated with the Pentecostals? Was it a Baptist School? How about a Jehovah Witness Elementary School (not that any exist that I'm aware of)? It does make a difference.
Nope, it doesn't make a difference.
Not all schools are Christian schools, but all Catholic, Pentecostal and Baptist schools are Christian schools and are places one can attend to get a Christian education.

I received a private (Christian) education K - 12. Did you? I ask because you talk as if you did, but your words betray that you know anything about an actual Christian education.
My wife teaches at a Christian institution and my child also attended a Christian school. He would later go to and graduate from Grove City College. So, I would imagine I know a little more than you on the subject, even though I had a public school education. My wife also want to a Christian school and college.

brunumb
Savant

Post #202

Post by brunumb »

LittleNipper wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 5:46 pm My wife teaches at a Christian institution and my child also attended a Christian school. He would later go to and graduate from Grove City College. So, I would imagine I know a little more than you on the subject, even though I had a public school education. My wife also want to a Christian school and college.
Attending, or even teaching at, a Christian institution is not a guarantee that one is necessarily highly educated in Christianity. Many atheists became that way through a deep and extensive study of the Bible and Christianity in general and that is what ultimately led to their loss of faith. Some people just maintain a superficial knowledge to the extent that it helps reinforce their Christian faith.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

LittleNipper
Scholar

Post #203

Post by LittleNipper »

brunumb wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 7:54 pm
LittleNipper wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 5:46 pm My wife teaches at a Christian institution and my child also attended a Christian school. He would later go to and graduate from Grove City College. So, I would imagine I know a little more than you on the subject, even though I had a public school education. My wife also want to a Christian school and college.
Attending, or even teaching at, a Christian institution is not a guarantee that one is necessarily highly educated in Christianity. Many atheists became that way through a deep and extensive study of the Bible and Christianity in general and that is what ultimately led to their loss of faith. Some people just maintain a superficial knowledge to the extent that it helps reinforce their Christian faith.
I doubt that most Atheists study the Bible and that sincere Christians are generally indifferent to reading it. In fact I feel that many Atheists who read the Bible with the intent of finding issues (if they read it at all). And Christians who are superficial are not in fact real Christians but nominal participants in a social club, believing that through their affiliation with "Christians" they will be secure.

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #204

Post by boatsnguitars »

LittleNipper wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 12:44 am
I doubt that most Atheists study the Bible and that sincere Christians are generally indifferent to reading it. In fact I feel that many Atheists who read the Bible with the intent of finding issues (if they read it at all). And Christians who are superficial are not in fact real Christians but nominal participants in a social club, believing that through their affiliation with "Christians" they will be secure.
You neglect the vast number of Christians who, after studying the Bible, become atheists because they see it for the bunk it is.
“And do you think that unto such as you
A maggot-minded, starved, fanatic crew
God gave a secret, and denied it me?
Well, well—what matters it? Believe that, too!”
― Omar Khayyâm

LittleNipper
Scholar

Post #205

Post by LittleNipper »

boatsnguitars wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 9:51 am
You neglect the vast number of Christians who, after studying the Bible, become atheists because they see it for the bunk it is.
So how many times have you read it?

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #206

Post by boatsnguitars »

LittleNipper wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 3:54 pm
Many times. A few times front to back, and any number of times randomly. What about you? When is the last time you read God's Word?

But you do agree with my statement? That many Christians become atheists because they read the Bible?
I belong to a support group of seven retired mainline clergypersons. Six of the seven no longer affirm historic, creedal, orthodox, traditional theology. The same six members of the group no longer actively participate in a congregation. If you do the math, that means 86 percent of my retired clergy group have, to a large degree, lost traditional faith and left institutional religion.
https://doubtersparish.com/2023/10/03/w ... ve-church/
A survey conducted by the Free University of Amsterdam in 2006 found that one in six (17%) Protestant priests in Holland were either atheist or agnostic. Another survey found that as many as 16 percent of the Church of England’s licensed ministers have doubts about God.

Membership in The Clergy Project has increased ten-fold in just a few years. This indicates that there are hundreds, if not thousands, of atheist clergy.
https://clergyproject.org/category/our- ... istianity/
― Omar Khayyâm

LittleNipper
Scholar

Post #207

Post by LittleNipper »

boatsnguitars wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 8:19 am
Many times. A few times front to back, and any number of times randomly. What about you? When is the last time you read God's Word?

But you do agree with my statement? That many Christians become atheists because they read the Bible?
I belong to a support group of seven retired mainline clergypersons. Six of the seven no longer affirm historic, creedal, orthodox, traditional theology. The same six members of the group no longer actively participate in a congregation. If you do the math, that means 86 percent of my retired clergy group have, to a large degree, lost traditional faith and left institutional religion.
A survey conducted by the Free University of Amsterdam in 2006 found that one in six (17%) Protestant priests in Holland were either atheist or agnostic. Another survey found that as many as 16 percent of the Church of England’s licensed ministers have doubts about God.

Membership in The Clergy Project has increased ten-fold in just a few years. This indicates that there are hundreds, if not thousands, of atheist clergy.
The problem is that some clergy are accepting excuses to accommodate people who are adverse to biblical inerrancy. One excuse leads to another. Does one believe GOD?

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #208

Post by boatsnguitars »

LittleNipper wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 8:55 pm

The problem is that some clergy are accepting excuses to accommodate people who are adverse to biblical inerrancy. One excuse leads to another. Does one believe GOD?
Not sure what you are saying here. Do you believe the Bible is inerrant? Bart Ehrman did, too.
― Omar Khayyâm

oldbadger
Guru

Post #209

Post by oldbadger »

LittleNipper wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 8:55 pm The problem is that some clergy are accepting excuses to accommodate people who are adverse to biblical inerrancy. One excuse leads to another. Does one believe GOD?
Watching the BBC news last night in the UK, we heard that the Speaker of the US House of Representatives (Mike Johnson?) believes that Dinosaurs were on the Ark. What do you think about that?

I often hear Christians boast that they are more intimately aware of the gospels than all others, but never yet has one been able to tell me the most simple things, such as 'What did Jesus and his friends do in the Temple on Palm Sunday afternoon'? You all think that you know the story of Jesus, but so few of you actually do, imo.

LittleNipper
Scholar

Post #210

Post by LittleNipper »

I believe many individuals become atheists not from reading the Bible, but because they witness the hypocrisy within the church they are affiliated. Everyone I feel goes through a season where they question GOD, but that seems GOD's way of bringing to their attention that just because they profess to be Christian doesn't mean that life will be a bed of roses... Institutional religion is not a good place to be. GOD is all about relationships and not ritualism.