What is peer review?

Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

Sherlock Holmes

What is peer review?

Post #1

Post by Sherlock Holmes »

Often when debating atheism or questioning the evolution doctrine, the supporters of evolution will reject arguments against it made by scientists because they insist that only "peer reviewed" publications are to be trusted (else it must be pseudo science).

So I want to ask how does one decide whether a journal is or is not peer reviewed? what definition do people use to help them make this decision?

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Re: What is peer review?

Post #31

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Sherlock Holmes wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:01 pm
JoeyKnothead wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 4:50 pm
Sherlock Holmes wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 1:33 pm The Proceedings of the International Conference on Creationism is not a "religious" publication either, any more than the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences is an "atheist" publication.
ICC wrote: The mission of the ICC is to promote the development and dissemination of positive contributions to a young earth creationist model of origins and models of earth history that recognize the reality of the global Flood described in Genesis.
Exactly, no mention of religion in that summary.
Yeah, cause Genesis is a documentary!

Hahahahahahahahahahaha!
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #32

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Jose Fly wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 4:59 pm Here is how the ICC describes itself:
"About the ICC
The mission of the ICC is to promote the development and dissemination of positive contributions to a young earth creationist model of origins and models of earth history that recognize the reality of the global Flood described in Genesis."
That is expressly religious.
I wasn't copying off your page when I posted the same.

But that don't mean I never copy off your page :wave:
-Punkinhead Martin

Sherlock Holmes

Post #33

JoeyKnothead wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:10 pm
Sherlock Holmes wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 1:33 pm The Proceedings of the International Conference on Creationism is not a "religious" publication either, any more than the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences is an "atheist" publication.
ICC wrote: The mission of the ICC is to promote the development and dissemination of positive contributions to a young earth creationist model of origins and models of earth history that recognize the reality of the global Flood described in Genesis.

Hahahahahahahahahahaha!
Nope, Genesis is an inspired source of revealed knowledge about origins with some ancient history thrown in.

Jose Fly
Guru

Post #34

Post by Jose Fly »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:13 pm
Jose Fly wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 4:59 pm Here is how the ICC describes itself:
"About the ICC
The mission of the ICC is to promote the development and dissemination of positive contributions to a young earth creationist model of origins and models of earth history that recognize the reality of the global Flood described in Genesis."
I wasn't copying off your page when I posted the same.

But that don't mean I never copy off your page :wave:
I demand royalties!! ;)

Seriously though, thank you. I'm flattered. :)
Being apathetic is great....or not. I don't really care.

brunumb
Savant

Post #35

Post by brunumb »

Sherlock Holmes wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 1:33 pm You seem to believe that a belief the universe was created is at odds with the scientific study of that creation, for a creationist it is not for a materialist it is - so the distinction is not one of science but of philosophy.
Please enlighten us on how creationists apply the scientific method in their investigation of the origin of the universe. Remember, what they believe is quite distinct from what they can support with empirical evidence.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

Sherlock Holmes

Post #36

Jose Fly wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 4:59 pm
Sherlock Holmes wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 1:33 pm You seem to believe that a belief the universe was created is at odds with the scientific study of that creation
Nope, never said that at all.

"Creationism isn't science" is not the same as "Creationists can't be scientists". For whatever reason, that seems to be beyond your ability to comprehend.
for a creationist it is not for a materialist it is - so the distinction is not one of science but of philosophy. Therefore it is quite wrong to believe that a materialist science publication is somehow more legitimate a source of knowledge than a creationist science publication.
I didn't say anything about whether any publication is a "legitimate source of knowledge".
The Proceedings of the International Conference on Creationism is not a "religious" publication either, any more than the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences is an "atheist" publication.
This is just plain ridiculous.

Here is how the ICC describes itself:
"About the ICC
No it isn't, let me ask you, is this referring to a religious journal or a scientific journal Jose:
Biblical Archaeology Review wrote:The Biblical Archaeology Society (BAS) was founded in 1974 as a nonprofit, nondenominational, educational organization dedicated to the dissemination of information about archaeology in the Bible lands. BAS educates the public about archaeology and the Bible through its quarterly magazine, Biblical Archaeology Review, an award-winning website, tours and seminars, and books and DVDs. Our readers rely on us to present the latest that scholarship has to offer in a fair and accessible manner. BAS serves as an important authority and as an invaluable source of reliable information.
You keep saying I'm no expert in evolution yet speak as if I am, well? pot-kettle-black?? are you an expert in religion?

[-X

Sherlock Holmes

Post #37

brunumb wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:20 pm
Sherlock Holmes wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 1:33 pm You seem to believe that a belief the universe was created is at odds with the scientific study of that creation, for a creationist it is not for a materialist it is - so the distinction is not one of science but of philosophy.
Please enlighten us on how creationists apply the scientific method in their investigation of the origin of the universe. Remember, what they believe is quite distinct from what they can support with empirical evidence.
You'll have to read some of their papers or how about reaching out to one of the authors, here's someone who I think could be helpful to you:
Tichomir Tenev has an M.Eng. degree in computer science and electrical engineering from MIT as well as BS degrees in mathematics and computer science also from MIT. He is currently pursuing a Ph.D. degree in computational engineering at Mississippi State University researching an elastic constitutive model of spacetime and its applications to General Relativity and Cosmology. Since 1996, Tichomir has held top software engineering positions at several Silicon Valley companies such as VMware, and most recently Instart Logic.
I'm sure he can explain how he uses the scientific method.
Last edited by Sherlock Holmes on Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jose Fly
Guru

Post #38

Post by Jose Fly »

Sherlock Holmes wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:23 pm
Sherlock Holmes wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 1:33 pm You seem to believe that a belief the universe was created is at odds with the scientific study of that creation

"Creationism isn't science" is not the same as "Creationists can't be scientists". For whatever reason, that seems to be beyond your ability to comprehend.
for a creationist it is not for a materialist it is - so the distinction is not one of science but of philosophy. Therefore it is quite wrong to believe that a materialist science publication is somehow more legitimate a source of knowledge than a creationist science publication.
I didn't say anything about whether any publication is a "legitimate source of knowledge".
The Proceedings of the International Conference on Creationism is not a "religious" publication either, any more than the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences is an "atheist" publication.

"About the ICC
No it isn't, let me ask you, is this referring to a religious journal or a scientific journal Jose:
Biblical Archaeology Review wrote:The Biblical Archaeology Society (BAS) was founded in 1974 as a nonprofit, nondenominational, educational organization dedicated to the dissemination of information about archaeology in the Bible lands. BAS educates the public about archaeology and the Bible through its quarterly magazine, Biblical Archaeology Review, an award-winning website, tours and seminars, and books and DVDs. Our readers rely on us to present the latest that scholarship has to offer in a fair and accessible manner. BAS serves as an important authority and as an invaluable source of reliable information.
All right, this is enough. I call Poe's Law.

If you truly believe there's nothing religious about the ICC's mission statement, you're either trolling us or so far out in left field that there's nothing to be gained by arguing this stupidity any further. As a saying goes.....who's crazier, the guy on the street yelling about the gov't controlling him through his toaster, or the guy who tries to debate him?

At this point I think arguing with the toaster guy would be more engaging and less absurd.
Being apathetic is great....or not. I don't really care.

Sherlock Holmes

Post #39

Jose Fly wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:34 pm
Sherlock Holmes wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:23 pm

"About the ICC
All right, this is enough. I call Poe's Law.

If you truly believe there's nothing religious about the ICC's mission statement, you're either trolling us or so far out in left field that there's nothing to be gained by arguing this stupidity any further. As a saying goes.....who's crazier, the guy on the street yelling about the gov't controlling him through his toaster, or the guy who tries to debate him?

At this point I think arguing with the toaster guy would be more engaging and less absurd.
Ha ha ha !! gotcha !!
No it isn't, let me ask you, is Biblical Archaeology Review a religious journal or a scientific journal Jose?
This is better described as "He's just asked me an unwelcome crippling question so I'll dodge it" law, but no worries, most atheists and evolutionist who cross my path end up like this.

\:D/

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #40

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Sherlock Holmes wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:14 pm
JoeyKnothead wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:10 pm

Hahahahahahahahahahaha!
Nope, Genesis is an inspired source of revealed knowledge about origins with some ancient history thrown in.
None of which 'history' can be shown to've actually occurred.
-Punkinhead Martin