What is peer review?

Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

Sherlock Holmes

What is peer review?

Post #1

Post by Sherlock Holmes »

Often when debating atheism or questioning the evolution doctrine, the supporters of evolution will reject arguments against it made by scientists because they insist that only "peer reviewed" publications are to be trusted (else it must be pseudo science).

So I want to ask how does one decide whether a journal is or is not peer reviewed? what definition do people use to help them make this decision?

brunumb
Savant

Re: What is peer review?

Post #41

Post by brunumb »

Sherlock Holmes wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:30 pm
brunumb wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:20 pm Please enlighten us on how creationists apply the scientific method in their investigation of the origin of the universe. Remember, what they believe is quite distinct from what they can support with empirical evidence.
You'll have to read some of their papers or how about reaching out to one of the authors, here's someone who I think could be helpful to you:
Tichomir Tenev has an M.Eng. degree in computer science and electrical engineering from MIT as well as BS degrees in mathematics and computer science also from MIT. He is currently pursuing a Ph.D. degree in computational engineering at Mississippi State University researching an elastic constitutive model of spacetime and its applications to General Relativity and Cosmology. Since 1996, Tichomir has held top software engineering positions at several Silicon Valley companies such as VMware, and most recently Instart Logic.
I'm sure he can explain how he uses the scientific method.
What does Tenev do in the field of creation science? I am not asking "what is the scientific method", I am asking specifically what creation scientists do in applying the scientific method in their investigations. It appears to me that you don't actually know.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

DrNoGods
Prodigy

Post #42

Post by DrNoGods »

[Replying to Sherlock Holmes in post #23]
... establishing that life was created by an intelligence isn't something I'd describe as being "zero understanding" for example.
You'd be right if that were actually true, but it isn't. It has not been established that life was created by an intelligence, so your statement above is meaningless.
... one takes one's choice and does one's best but as to which is "real" that's not answerable by science that's the domain of philosophy.
Which is another section of the form ... head over there if you want to debate philosophy:

viewforum.php?f=25
In human affairs the sources of success are ever to be found in the fountains of quick resolve and swift stroke; and it seems to be a law, inflexible and inexorable, that he who will not risk cannot win.
John Paul Jones, 1779

The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read.
Mark Twain

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #43

Post by Difflugia »

Sherlock Holmes wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:39 pmmost atheists and evolutionist who cross my path end up like this.
I assume you mean "disappointed, but not surprised."
My pronouns are he, him, and his.

Sherlock Holmes

Post #44

brunumb wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:59 pm
brunumb wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:20 pm Please enlighten us on how creationists apply the scientific method in their investigation of the origin of the universe. Remember, what they believe is quite distinct from what they can support with empirical evidence.
You'll have to read some of their papers or how about reaching out to one of the authors, here's someone who I think could be helpful to you:
Tichomir Tenev has an M.Eng. degree in computer science and electrical engineering from MIT as well as BS degrees in mathematics and computer science also from MIT. He is currently pursuing a Ph.D. degree in computational engineering at Mississippi State University researching an elastic constitutive model of spacetime and its applications to General Relativity and Cosmology. Since 1996, Tichomir has held top software engineering positions at several Silicon Valley companies such as VMware, and most recently Instart Logic.
What does Tenev do in the field of creation science? I am not asking "what is the scientific method", I am asking specifically what creation scientists do in applying the scientific method in their investigations. It appears to me that you don't actually know.
Contact him for goodness sake, just ask him, its called investigating, part of a genuine scientists toolbox.

Sherlock Holmes

Post #45

DrNoGods wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 6:20 pm [Replying to Sherlock Holmes in post #23]
... establishing that life was created by an intelligence isn't something I'd describe as being "zero understanding" for example.
You'd be right if that were actually true, but it isn't. It has not been established that life was created by an intelligence, so your statement above is meaningless.
That's just an opinion, a great many people regard it as established, I'm just one of them.
DrNoGods wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 6:20 pm
... one takes one's choice and does one's best but as to which is "real" that's not answerable by science that's the domain of philosophy.
Which is another section of the form ... head over there if you want to debate philosophy:

viewforum.php?f=25

Sherlock Holmes

Post #46

JoeyKnothead wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:59 pm
Sherlock Holmes wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:14 pm
JoeyKnothead wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:10 pm
Sherlock Holmes wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:01 pm
JoeyKnothead wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 4:50 pm
Sherlock Holmes wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 1:33 pm The Proceedings of the International Conference on Creationism is not a "religious" publication either, any more than the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences is an "atheist" publication.
ICC wrote: The mission of the ICC is to promote the development and dissemination of positive contributions to a young earth creationist model of origins and models of earth history that recognize the reality of the global Flood described in Genesis.
Exactly, no mention of religion in that summary.
Yeah, cause Genesis is a documentary!

Hahahahahahahahahahaha!
Nope, Genesis is an inspired source of revealed knowledge about origins with some ancient history thrown in.
None of which 'history' can be shown to've actually occurred.
It’s not every day that science and archaeology find confirmation of the Bible. But this seems to be the case with new research claiming that the biblical kingdom of Edom was much older than scholars previously thought. In fact it arose even before the formation of ancient Israel – just like it says in the Book of Genesis.

This unexpected conclusion was reached by studying that precious source of evidence in modern archaeology: ancient garbage.

Specifically, a team of researchers analyzed slag, the waste left over from metal smelting, at ancient copper production sites in the Aravah Valley, a region that spans the southern deserts of Israel and Jordan and was once the heartland of the Edomite nation.

The team of American, Israeli and Jordanian archaeologists found that people at different sites in the Aravah were producing metal using the same standardized techniques, which improved and advanced in parallel, more than 3,000 years ago. This, the archaeologists say, is a sign that there was a strong, centralized entity that coordinated copper production over vast distances: in other words, a state.

And this in turn would mean that the Edomite kingdom was already formed by the mid-11th century B.C.E., some 300 years earlier than previously thought, the archaeologists conclude in a paper published Wednesday in the scientific journal PLOS One.

The hypothesis dovetails with the biblical claim that there were “kings who reigned in the land of Edom before any king reigned over the children of Israel” (Genesis 36:31).

If we go by the biblical chronology, the first kings of Israel – Saul, David and Solomon – would have reigned from the late 11th century to the mid 10th century B.C.E. So, whether it’s by coincidence or not, finding that Edom was already an organized state in the middle of the 11th century B.C.E. jives with the biblical text.
There are many other examples if you just care to look.

DrNoGods
Prodigy

Post #47

Post by DrNoGods »

[Replying to Sherlock Holmes in post #46]
I don't think anyone is arguing that nothng in the bible is correct history. Nebuchadnezzar II certainly was King of Babylon around 600 BC and there is plenty of evidence for this outside of the bible. But did Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego really walk out of the fire they were thown into by the king, alive and well as described in the Book of Daniel? This story falls into the category of things in the bible (like the creation story of Genesis, Noah's flood, Jonah swallowed by a great fish and surviving for 3 days, etc.) that are just that ... stories. Find confirmation of any of these things and you'll have something.
In human affairs the sources of success are ever to be found in the fountains of quick resolve and swift stroke; and it seems to be a law, inflexible and inexorable, that he who will not risk cannot win.
John Paul Jones, 1779

The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read.
Mark Twain

Sherlock Holmes

Post #48

DrNoGods wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:31 am [Replying to Sherlock Holmes in post #46]
I don't think anyone is arguing that nothng in the bible is correct history. Nebuchadnezzar II certainly was King of Babylon around 600 BC and there is plenty of evidence for this outside of the bible. But did Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego really walk out of the fire they were thown into by the king, alive and well as described in the Book of Daniel? This story falls into the category of things in the bible (like the creation story of Genesis, Noah's flood, Jonah swallowed by a great fish and surviving for 3 days, etc.) that are just that ... stories. Find confirmation of any of these things and you'll have something.
Confirming written claims from the past is a challenge I agree, written eyewitness accounts are sometimes all we have and all we could have.

Regarding Nebuchadnezzar, this is quite an interesting article.

Example:
But what proof do we have that King Jehoiachin and thousands more Judeans were in fact hauled off to Babylon?

In the early 20th century, archaeologists excavating beneath the ruins of an ancient Babylonian palace found 14 vaulted rooms they first believed to be part of the legendary Hanging Gardens of Babylon, but later figured out were part of a royal storehouse. In that storehouse were more clay tablets, mostly records of the day-to-day affairs of the palace. And among those tablets was a 3-inch tall fragment containing the name "Jehoiakhin, king of Judah."

The fragment turned out to be part of a "ration list" indicating how much oil and foodstuffs were given to King Jehoiachin and his exiled Judean court in Babylon.

"That was a remarkable find," says Frahm.

The ration list specifically mentions Jehoiachin, other Judean dignitaries and Jehoiachin's five sons. The quantities of the rations were sizable, which historians take as a sign that the exiled royal family were treated well in Babylon, and that Jehoiachin probably wasn't locked up for 37 years as related in 2 Kings 25:27.

brunumb
Savant

Post #49

Post by brunumb »

Sherlock Holmes wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:46 am
Contact him for goodness sake, just ask him, its called investigating, part of a genuine scientists toolbox.
If you can't answer the question just say so. You continue to flail and make unsupported claims so I'm not surprised at your latest dodge.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

Sherlock Holmes

Post #50

brunumb wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 5:31 pm
Sherlock Holmes wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:46 am
If you can't answer the question just say so. You continue to flail and make unsupported claims so I'm not surprised at your latest dodge.

Of course I can't answer that question! you are asking me what someone else does, how someone else works, how someone else thinks; I cannot answer on behalf of another person, if you want an answer reach out, I'm sure he'd be happy to respond, most academics are easy to reach and often happy to answer questions.