Probability of a Creator

Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

theStudent
Guru

Probability of a Creator

Post #1

Post by theStudent »

God's Blueprint - Scientific Evidence that Earth was Created for Humans - Author Christopher Knight

For debate...
Do you agree or disagree with the views of Mr. Knight?

What do you disagree with?
What do you agree with?
What is your opinion on his views?
What is your opinion on the probability/possibility of a creator with purpose?

Unfortunately I could not find the interview in written form. so I chopped out the part I wanted to focus on.

Intro
http://vid1206.photobucket.com/albums/b ... qsdyag.mp4

Views
http://vid1206.photobucket.com/albums/b ... pnje9x.mp4

You can view the full video here:
John 8:32
. . .the truth will set you free.

Talishi
Guru

Re: Probability of a Creator

Post #311

Post by Talishi »

hoghead1 wrote: Organic compounds are produced by living things. Inorganic compounds are produced by non-living natural processes or by human intervention in the lab.
Astronomers have detected amino acids in meteorites that suggest the molecules originated in space, and they have detected the emission lines of branched carbon polymers, similar to the building blocks of life, in the clouds of stellar nurseries.

hoghead1
Guru

Post #312

Post by hoghead1 »

[Replying to Talishi]

Yes, true.

H.sapiens
Guru

Post #313

Post by H.sapiens »

[Replying to post 308 by Talishi]

Formaldehyde certainly is a carbon containing organic: CH2O

Talishi
Guru

Post #314

Post by Talishi »

H.sapiens wrote: [Replying to post 308 by Talishi]

Formaldehyde certainly is a carbon containing organic: CH2O
Ah yes, you are correct.

I was thinking of hydrogen peroxide.

PghPanther
Guru

Post #315

Post by PghPanther »

hoghead1 wrote: [Replying to post 301 by PghPanther]

This whole issue very much depends on the theist you are addressing. For example, I have no trouble assuming that God can work through chance, randomness, and indeterminacy. In fact, I view God as the source of randomness. God continually lifts us out of the tyranny of teh given, by providing new-found creative possibilities to transcend the given. This makes for freedom, for choice making, and that makes for randomness.
Really?

But now your God must work within such parameters......when, where and by what means.........if this God's process cannot be defined what use is it to this process?

Most importantly your scripture proclaim a very different God in how it creates and controls reality than how discovered through science.

You have to really bend the rules of Christian doctrine/dogma as understood and proclaimed for centuries by theists before the use of the scientific method exposed such claims to now jump on the science bandwagon.......

hoghead1
Guru

Post #316

Post by hoghead1 »

[Replying to PghPanther]

Christianity is not a monolithic religion, just one way. Christianity, then and now, represents a rich plurality of viewpoints which often conflict. I view Christendom today on a scale from conservative to liberal. I identify with the liberal camp. My agenda, then, is a healthy skepticism for tradition, an emphasis on creativity, an emphasis on personal experience over dogma, and interfaith dialogues based on mutual understanding. Since the end of WW2, it has been said there is no orthodoxy in the field of theology, everything is up fro grabs, being rethought. I have no trouble challenging traditional dogmas and doctrines. I believe it is my calling. I am a neo-classical theist and therefore have in mind a much different model of God than that provided by classical theism.

I do not view the Bible as a book of science. Divinely inspired as it may be, the Bible is still very much the product of a prescientific culture and therefore cannot serve as an accurate judge in scientific matters.

As I mentioned earlier, God provides new-found creative possibilities for novelty. That is what drives the evolutionary process.

Talishi
Guru

Post #317

Post by Talishi »

hoghead1 wrote: I do not view the Bible as a book of science. Divinely inspired as it may be, the Bible is still very much the product of a prescientific culture and therefore cannot serve as an accurate judge in scientific matters.
My quarrel is not with Christians who admit the Bible is not a book of science. My quarrel is with Christians who attempt to introduce curricula in public schools that present the Bible as a book of science.
Thank you for playing Debating Christianity & Religion!

hoghead1
Guru

Post #318

Post by hoghead1 »

[Replying to Talishi]

You have my empathy. I have many issues with fundamentalists.