Psychedelics and God?

Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

jgh7

Psychedelics and God?

Post #1

Post by jgh7 »

Many people claim to go on spiritual journeys when they do psychedelics. Certain psychedelics such as DMT are considered to be extremely spiritual by many. Shamans in South America use DMT derived from the iowaska plant to go on their journeys. Other psychedilics such as Ketamine are actually used by doctors to treat depression and other illnesses.

Questions:
Do you think people can come in to contact with God or spirits by doing psychedelics? Or do they come in to contact with demons? Or is it simply hallucinations of the mind and nothing more? Do you consider psychedelics bad or immoral (both for religious and/or non-religious reasons)? Would you take the spiritual experience of a person who did psychedelics any less or more seriously than the spiritual experience of a religious person?

(I put this in the science section in case anyone wanted to go deep into chemical reactions to explain why psychedelics do what they do)

agnosticatheist
Banned
Banned

Re: Psychedelics and God?

Post #2

Post by agnosticatheist »

jgh7 wrote: Many people claim to go on spiritual journeys when they do psychedelics. Certain psychedelics such as DMT are considered to be extremely spiritual by many. Shamans in South America use DMT derived from the iowaska plant to go on their journeys. Other psychedilics such as Ketamine are actually used by doctors to treat depression and other illnesses.

Questions:
Do you think people can come in to contact with God or spirits by doing psychedelics? Or do they come in to contact with demons? Or is it simply hallucinations of the mind and nothing more? Do you consider psychedelics bad or immoral (both for religious and/or non-religious reasons)? Would you take the spiritual experience of a person who did psychedelics any less or more seriously than the spiritual experience of a religious person?

(I put this in the science section in case anyone wanted to go deep into chemical reactions to explain why psychedelics do what they do)
First, from an epistemological point of view, because of the problem of other minds, we have no way of verifying what anyone outside of our mind has experienced, so we cannot say take any particular position on the experiences of another mind.

With that said, from what I have seen and am aware of, if people have actually had contact with real, non-material entities, I would say the overwhelming majority of them have been what Christians would call "demonic." I can understand the basic concepts of good and evil, and despite the fact that I reject Christianity, Judaism, Islam, etc, I cannot rule out the possibility that there is a "spiritual" realm, and that there is a battle between good evil going on (That's part of why I reject Christianity, Judaism, and Islam...if good and evil exist, those three religions were/still are evil...).

Speaking from my own personal experience, I have never used psychedelics, but I have been attacked during lucid dreams, and perhaps had some "sleep paralysis" attacks as well, and usually there is some sort of presence(s), usually not visible, that is(are) what I understand to be evil. The experiences are straight up creepy and chilling; usually when I wake up from them I am creeped out and often can't go right back to sleep...

From the Christian's perspective, the psychedelic stuff is definitely off-limits, because you are taking spiritual revelation into your own hands rather than letting God handle it...
If it turns out there are one or more gods, then so be it.

If it turns out there are no gods, then thank reality that no one is going to suffer forever.

bluethread
Savant

Post #3

Post by bluethread »

There is no commandment against taking drugs, that I am aware of, and there are mystical sects that do use drugs for "spiritual" reasons. Paul does say that we should be temperate, however. Being a Pharisee, he is more of a rationalist.

Question for agnosticatheist: what do you understand the basic concepts of good and evil to be?

agnosticatheist
Banned
Banned

Post #4

Post by agnosticatheist »

bluethread wrote: There is no commandment against taking drugs, that I am aware of, and there are mystical sects that do use drugs for "spiritual" reasons. Paul does say that we should be temperate, however. Being a Pharisee, he is more of a rationalist.

Question for agnosticatheist: what do you understand the basic concepts of good and evil to be?
I said in the hand cutting law thread that I would not be responding to you and JW further. Im only responding here to remind you of that, since you clearly forgot. You two scumbag cowards did not answer a question that, IIRC, i asked you multiple times to answer, and because of that, I am done with you two.

Bye.
If it turns out there are one or more gods, then so be it.

If it turns out there are no gods, then thank reality that no one is going to suffer forever.

Neatras
Guru

Post #5

Post by Neatras »

We know hallucinations exist. We do not know that spiritual phenomena exist.

So it would be more in line with verifiable data to classify psychedelic experiences as hallucinations. We already consider non-spiritual psychedelic experiences to be hallucinations, so why would we exclude experiences someone has that has a particular side effect of triggering the well-known phenomena of humans seeking mysticism?

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #6

Post by OnceConvinced »

agnosticatheist wrote: . Im only responding here to remind you of that, since you clearly forgot. You two scumbag cowards did not answer a question that, IIRC, i asked you multiple times to answer, and because of that, I am done with you two.

:warning: Moderator Warning

Do not refer to other members in this completely unacceptable and insulting manner.

Please review our Rules.

Moderator warnings count as a strike against users. Additional violations in the future may warrant a final warning. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

DanieltheDragon
Savant

Post #7

Post by DanieltheDragon »

bluethread wrote: There is no commandment against taking drugs, that I am aware of, and there are mystical sects that do use drugs for "spiritual" reasons. Paul does say that we should be temperate, however. Being a Pharisee, he is more of a rationalist.

That is interesting and I did not know that. How influential are these mystical sects within Jewish culture I wonder.
Post 1: Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:48 am Otseng has been banned
Otseng has been banned for having multiple accounts and impersonating a moderator.

bluethread
Savant

Post #8

Post by bluethread »

DanieltheDragon wrote:

That is interesting and I did not know that. How influential are these mystical sects within Jewish culture I wonder.
Though I do not adhere to Kabbalah, it is referenced in its teachings. The most common drugs used in Jewish communities are not hallucinogenic, i.e. alcohol, caffeine and nicotine. There are Scriptural and rabbinic references to times when it is appropriate to over indulge in alcohol, but temperance is the general rule.

Youkilledkenny
Sage

Post #9

Post by Youkilledkenny »

[Replying to post 1 by jgh7]

I think anything that causes one's brain to see/hear/experience out of the normal things can, and does, account for many claims such as hearing voices, experiencing visions, etc.

That said, I also believe there are people who do experience such things w/o drugs or external influences.

The difference seems to be the 'grand-ness' in said experiences: the more elaborate seem to be those from those using external means while those more mundane are from the other group.

Usually.

Monta
Guru

Post #10

Post by Monta »

[Replying to post 2 by agnosticatheist]

"From the Christian's perspective, the psychedelic stuff is definitely off-limits, because you are taking spiritual revelation into your own hands rather than letting God handle it..."

People seeking spiritual experience are taking it with reverence - ayawasca is called spiritual molecule.
I believe some Christian churches in Spain are using it in their church services.
I would love to try it if it were available where I live and I certainly would not
take it for fun.