The Solar Eclipse: Coincidence? Or Evidence of Design?

Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

Volbrigade
Banned
Banned

The Solar Eclipse: Coincidence? Or Evidence of Design?

Post #1

Post by Volbrigade »

Here in the US, many people are eagerly awaiting the opportunity to observe a total solar eclipse. 14 million people reside in the path of totality. Many more are well within 90% of totality. The entire lower 48 will experience a degree of partiality.

Prompted by an PM exchange with another user, I am reminded of the astronomically small odds that the disc of the moon would fit precisely over the disc of the sun, relative to an observer on earth. This phenomenon allows for observation of the sun’s corona, which is otherwise undetectable to the naked eye. The observation and analysis of the corona led to advancements in the field of spectroscopy by Bunsen, Kirchhoff, Jansen, Huggins, Lockyear, and others. Those advancements, in turn, led to discoveries in astrophysics which have formed our current understanding(s) of the cosmos in which we exist.

Which begs an intriguing question. Is the precise matching of the diameter of the sun and moon, relative to the Earth, just another one of those “happy accidents� — a coincidence, comparable in scale to the probability of select amino acids linking up by chance to form proteins, which in turn link together to form a self-replicating code of protein “letters�, in the precise order necessary to code for a living cell, in Earth’s harsh primordial environment, 5 billion years or so ago? And those codes increasing in information content, through unguided cause-and-effect processes, in order to provide the blueprints for all living things?

A coincidence, like the simultaneous linkages of dimensionless constants — e.g., gravity, strong and weak force, electromagnetism — which provide the appearance of “fine tuning� the parameters of the universe? Of which incremental changes to would produce an environment too unstable for the periodic table, and thus the universe as we know it, to exist?

I’m sure the reader can see where I’m going with this. What if the appearance of “fine tuning� is related to the REALITY of fine tuning, by an Agent possessing mind, intelligence, and will, and which exists outside of the space time continuum which is Its (or “His�) creation?

And what if that Agent adjusted countless variables — i.e., the constants referred to; along with such physical factors as solar size, distance from star, axial tilt, position in a “clear� region of its galaxy, etc. — on one particular, specific planet, in order to generate an environment where intelligent life could not only exist, but have a sense of the scope of the cosmos in which it exists?

And what if the synchronicity displayed in a solar eclipse is not mere coincidence, but a deliberate design? The discoveries made possible by it, which have informed our astrophysical awareness, an indication that this universe is “designed� — by its Creator — “to be discovered�?

Volbrigade
Banned
Banned

Re: The Solar Eclipse: Coincidence? Or Evidence of Design?

Post #51

Post by Volbrigade »

Justin108 wrote:
Volbrigade wrote: I'm having a little trouble with that one. First of all -- Orion's belt. Do you happen to notice the perspective from which those stars align?

You see -- one planet with intelligent life (that we know of) in all the cosmos.

And it happens to be the only planet that we know of where a solar eclipse is possible, relative to the intelligent observer. Because, again, of the multiples of 400 mentioned.
Since I've addressed everything here already, it's clear that you don't bother considering anything I say. So I'll stop wasting my time.
I have considered everything you have to say. It didn't take long to see the deficiencies.

I mean, seriously -- you want to make a point about how mundane and unremarkable a solar eclipse is, in its precise alignment of celestial objects relative to the only intelligent observers known to exist (which is a suspicious undertaking, on the face of it; is it really so important that God not exist, that you're willing to deny the wonder of anything? Everything? How miserably impoverished that is), by demonstrating another such alignment of celestial objects -- relative to the only known intelligent observers known to exist! And photographed by them with sophisticated technology. to be pasted via computer on the internet!

Ahhh, irony. It can be so delicious...

it can also be as appetizing as cold, stiff oatmeal. :?
Just about every one of your arguments can be answered with one simple word: coincidence. And here's the best part. We know coincidences exist. The same cannot be said for God, though
Disagree.

"Coincidence is not a kosher word."

"There are no coincidences in God's Kingdom".

What you are referring to as "coincidence" is more accurately termed "God-incidence". ;)

Justin108
Banned
Banned

Post #52

Post by Justin108 »

Volbrigade wrote: I have considered everything you have to say. It didn't take long to see the deficiencies.
The only "deficiencies" you managed to point out is that you cannot grasp the notion that coincidences happen. That's hardly a deficiency.
Volbrigade wrote: I mean, seriously -- you want to make a point about how mundane and unremarkable a solar eclipse is, in its precise alignment of celestial objects relative to the only intelligent observers known to exist (which is a suspicious undertaking, on the face of it; is it really so important that God not exist, that you're willing to deny the wonder of anything? Everything? How miserably impoverished that is)
I never said it's unremarkable. But something can be remarkable without bringing God into it. Contrary to what you might think, remarkable things can happen without God.
Volbrigade wrote: by demonstrating another such alignment of celestial objects -- relative to the only known intelligent observers known to exist! And photographed by them with sophisticated technology. to be pasted via computer on the internet!
And how many aliments do you suppose happen without anyone there to see it? But the moment someone is there to actually see the alignment, and suddenly you're convinced of God?
Volbrigade wrote: "There are no coincidences in God's Kingdom"
In order for this pretty quote to mean a damn thing, we would first need to assume that God even exists.
Volbrigade wrote:What you are referring to as "coincidence" is more accurately termed "God-incidence".
I recommend you try reading a dictionary from time to time.

DrNoGods
Prodigy

Post #53

Post by DrNoGods »

[Replying to post 50 by Volbrigade]
That is an ignorant, asinine, and insulting thing to say.

Definition of ignorant (Merrian-Webster):

1: lacking knowledge or comprehension of the thing specified • eg. parents ignorant of modern mathematics.

2: unaware, uninformed.

It doesn't mean stupid, or idiot, or whatever your interpretation was, and I certainly wouldn't describe my late mother in those terms. I'm happy to "hang up" on this conversation as it is obviously going nowhere, but you completely misunderstood the original comment.
In human affairs the sources of success are ever to be found in the fountains of quick resolve and swift stroke; and it seems to be a law, inflexible and inexorable, that he who will not risk cannot win.
John Paul Jones, 1779

The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read.
Mark Twain

Volbrigade
Banned
Banned

Post #54

Post by Volbrigade »

Justin108 wrote:
Volbrigade wrote: I mean, seriously -- you want to make a point about how mundane and unremarkable a solar eclipse is, in its precise alignment of celestial objects relative to the only intelligent observers known to exist (which is a suspicious undertaking, on the face of it; is it really so important that God not exist, that you're willing to deny the wonder of anything? Everything? How miserably impoverished that is)
I never said it's unremarkable. But something can be remarkable without bringing God into it. Contrary to what you might think, remarkable things can happen without God.
Opinion duly noted.

Of course, it is an erroneous opinion, since God is the uncaused Cause, the limitless Creator of our limited space-time environment. Therefore nothing -- whether anyone designates it "remarkable" or not -- can happen without, or apart from, Him.

Because without God, there is NOTHING.

But there IS something -- ergo, God.

And tomorrow, He is going to give us a not-so-subtle reminder of His magnificent design and order, and the Intelligence behind it.

And that we are not alone.

H.sapiens
Guru

Post #55

Post by H.sapiens »

[Replying to post 54 by Volbrigade]

What foolishness, you posit an all powerful being that is afraid to reveal itself save in ambiguous ways. get real.

Volbrigade
Banned
Banned

Post #56

Post by Volbrigade »

H.sapiens wrote: [Replying to post 54 by Volbrigade]

What foolishness, you posit an all powerful being that is afraid to reveal itself save in ambiguous ways. get real.
Am I supposed to respond to that?

Very well.

A mindless toff-off comment. Which is uncivil in tone.

H.sapiens
Guru

Post #57

Post by H.sapiens »

[Replying to post 56 by Volbrigade]

Respond to that? I suspect that you can not. It is never uncivil to point out an obvious truth.

Wootah
Savant

Post #58

Post by Wootah »

Volbrigade wrote:

Am I supposed to respond to that?

Very well.

A mindless toff-off comment. Which is uncivil in tone.
Moderator Clarification
No don't respond. Just report.
Rules
C&A Guidelines

Moderator clarifications do not count as a strike against any posters. They serve as an acknowledgment that a post report has been received and/or are given at the discretion of a moderator when he or she feels a clarification of the rules is required.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Wootah
Savant

Post #59

Post by Wootah »

Moderator Comment
Please try to be civil. More so if you believe you are telling the truth.
Please review the Rules.

Moderator comments do not count as a strike against any posters. They only serve as an acknowledgment that a post report has been received, but has not been judged to warrant a moderator warning against a particular poster. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Volbrigade
Banned
Banned

Post #60

Post by Volbrigade »

H.sapiens wrote: [Replying to post 56 by Volbrigade]

Respond to that? I suspect that you can not. It is never uncivil to point out an obvious truth.
Precisely why your post is uncivil.