Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

JP Cusick
Guru

UFO investigations:

Post #1

Post by JP Cusick »

:arrow: Does anyone believe in UFO's?

Not just "unidentified" but a craft from out space.

The Bible tells of a Prophet going up into heaven in a chariot of fire in a whirlwind, 2 Kings 2:11-12, and that sounds like a rocket ship.

There was a real report of a UFO crashing in 1947 near Roswell and the gov says it was a test surveillance balloon, and not everyone believes that.

Image HERE.
SIGNATURE:

An unorthodox Theist & a heretic Christian:

DrNoGods
Prodigy

Re: UFO investigations:

Post #2

Post by DrNoGods »

[Replying to post 1 by JP Cusick]
Does anyone believe in UFO's?

I believe that "UFO" is an acronym for Unidentified Flying Object, and there are certainly objects that people have seen that they could not identify. But the media have hijacked "UFO" to mean an alien craft of some sort specifically, rather than the generic acronym.

I do not believe any alien craft from "outer space" has ever visited the Earth as there is absolutely zero evidence for such a thing ... ever. And where would it have come from? We know there are no life forms within our own solar system capable of building such a craft, and the closest star to us is 4.2 light years away (24 trillion miles). Using the best technology we have on Earth to carry a human, it would take tens of thousands of years to travel between the two star systems. Human technology is far too primitive to allow us to travel to even the closest star to Earth, so you'd have to postulate some civilization far more advanced than humans to even think about them being able to engage in interstellar travel.

But back to the fact that there is zero evidence for any intelligent alien visitors to Earth, or their "spaceships", so no reason to believe that any such thing has happened.
In human affairs the sources of success are ever to be found in the fountains of quick resolve and swift stroke; and it seems to be a law, inflexible and inexorable, that he who will not risk cannot win.
John Paul Jones, 1779

The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read.
Mark Twain

JP Cusick
Guru

Post #3

Post by JP Cusick »

DrNoGods wrote: Using the best technology we have on Earth to carry a human, it would take tens of thousands of years to travel between the two star systems. Human technology is far too primitive to allow us to travel to even the closest star to Earth, so you'd have to postulate some civilization far more advanced than humans to even think about them being able to engage in interstellar travel.
That is the basic idea of UFO's - that there are other intelligence in outer space who are far more advanced than humanity on earth.

One has to give up the arrogant view of our superiority and view the universe in much more enlightened terms.

I have no problem accepting the reality that there is life outside of our limited earth which is vastly more advanced then we are.
SIGNATURE:

DrNoGods
Prodigy

Post #4

Post by DrNoGods »

[Replying to post 3 by JP Cusick]
One has to give up the arrogant view of our superiority and view the universe in much more enlightened terms.
I never said anything about our superiority, and I certainly believe life most likely exists elsewhere in the universe given the sheer number of galaxies and star systems out there (with planets).

But your question was about belief in "UFOs" and alien craft visiting Earth, and references to a biblical tale and the "Roswell Incident."

So far there is no tangible evidence of any alien craft of any kind ever visiting Earth, so this kind of thing is in the category of bigfoot, ghosts, the Lochness monster, etc. ... figments of people's imagination.
In human affairs the sources of success are ever to be found in the fountains of quick resolve and swift stroke; and it seems to be a law, inflexible and inexorable, that he who will not risk cannot win.
John Paul Jones, 1779

The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read.
Mark Twain

JP Cusick
Guru

Post #5

Post by JP Cusick »

DrNoGods wrote: I never said anything about our superiority, and I certainly believe life most likely exists elsewhere in the universe given the sheer number of galaxies and star systems out there (with planets).

But your question was about belief in "UFOs" and alien craft visiting Earth, and references to a biblical tale and the "Roswell Incident."

So far there is no tangible evidence of any alien craft of any kind ever visiting Earth, so this kind of thing is in the category of bigfoot, ghosts, the Lochness monster, etc. ... figments of people's imagination.
I was not trying to push it onto you.

And I did not really mean you personally when I said that "one" needs to give up our superiority complex first, because that applied to myself too and to everyone.

For myself I see the Biblical tail of a "chariot of fire" in a "whirlwind" that sounds like a rocket ship to be much more credible than the Roswell incident.

I also like the quote from Jesus who said this in John 8:
23 And Jesus said unto them, "Ye are from beneath; I am from above: ye are of this world; I am not of this world."

Since the Bible is often taken literally then if Jesus spoke literally true then Jesus said that He came here from another world.
SIGNATURE:

JP Cusick
Guru

Post #6

Post by JP Cusick »

JP Cusick wrote: I also like the quote from Jesus who said this in John 8:
23 And Jesus said unto them, "Ye are from beneath; I am from above: ye are of this world; I am not of this world."

Since the Bible is often taken literally then if Jesus spoke literally true then Jesus said that He came here from another world.
The same things gets to me about UFO's as does with the reality of God - that most people just miss out of the most fun things in life - and it is not just the failure to see as it is their refusal to even look.

I suspect it is mostly because life is so harsh and cruel and spoiled (double meaning) that people just loose the ability to go out and play and to have fun and live life as an adventure.
SIGNATURE:

PghPanther
Guru

Post #7

Post by PghPanther »

There is a significant parallel between those who hold a faith based world view in Christianity to those who are UFO believers you find at conventions about Ufology.

Both are believers and their evidence is hearsay that becomes facts in their world view with no hard objective facts to back up their claims.

The real fault I see in the UFO claims comes from the ignorance of humanity on the subject of such ideas.........

If you realize how vast space is and how difficult it would be to find let alone travel to planets of other intelligent life, you would realize that a higher civilization would have morphed out of biological limitations if they are so advanced and had a billion year or so head start in first generation star systems (our Sun is a second gen system).

Odds are any intelligent life billions of years advanced from us would have long thrown off the limitations of life span of biological casing and have become cyborg like in their makeup.........plus they would have never wasted energy at the size we are.......nanotechnology coupled with artificial intelligence could have seen intelligent life so advanced that it would be invisible to us if it was in our presence.........the idea of super advanced civilization using space crafts and looking like humans is a prejudice of our own anthropomorphic ideals instead of being willing to accept that intelligence couple with applied technology that advanced would have left our ideas about extraterrestrial existence in the dust bin.

JP Cusick
Guru

Post #8

Post by JP Cusick »

PghPanther wrote: There is a significant parallel between those who hold a faith based world view in Christianity to those who are UFO believers you find at conventions about Ufology.

Both are believers and their evidence is hearsay that becomes facts in their world view with no hard objective facts to back up their claims.

I expect that too, and I really do hope so, and from all religions and not just Christianity, and yet it seems to be untrue from the Christian side. ~ UFO believer would believe in God yes but Christians fail to believe in UFO's.

I do get the impression that many people believe in God but I might be the only one (or 1 of few) who actually know about God instead of belief.

The failure to believe is a severe defect in character, because the adventure of life is to explore the unknown.
PghPanther wrote: The real fault I see in the UFO claims comes from the ignorance of humanity on the subject of such ideas.........

If you realize how vast space is and how difficult it would be to find let alone travel to planets of other intelligent life, you would realize that a higher civilization would have morphed out of biological limitations if they are so advanced and had a billion year or so head start in first generation star systems (our Sun is a second gen system).

Odds are any intelligent life billions of years advanced from us would have long thrown off the limitations of life span of biological casing and have become cyborg like in their makeup.........plus they would have never wasted energy at the size we are.......nanotechnology coupled with artificial intelligence could have seen intelligent life so advanced that it would be invisible to us if it was in our presence.........the idea of super advanced civilization using space crafts and looking like humans is a prejudice of our own anthropomorphic ideals instead of being willing to accept that intelligence couple with applied technology that advanced would have left our ideas about extraterrestrial existence in the dust bin.
We call that as spiritual life.

Being far more intelligent, and invisible to ignorant humans.

That too is the realm of God.
SIGNATURE:

TheoNovice

Post #9

Post by TheoNovice »

The problem with those arguing against alien visitation to earth is that the arguments are using an outdated understanding of the universe. New understanding of the space time continuum and the understanding that it can be manipulated by a force as weak as gravity already allows for theories of light year distance space travel. We have to keep an open mind. Just a few years ago it was believed the universe expansion was slowing down and would eventually collapse back in on itself. Science was finally able to measure the rate at which the universe is expanded my and found the rate of expansion is increasing. Now we have all these theories of dark matter to explain that. My point is, as technology improves, we learn, theories change and with that, so does what is possible.

PghPanther
Guru

Post #10

Post by PghPanther »

JP Cusick wrote:
PghPanther wrote:
There is a significant parallel between those who hold a faith based world view in Christianity to those who are UFO believers you find at conventions about Ufology.

I expect that too, and I really do hope so, and from all religions and not just Christianity, and yet it seems to be untrue from the Christian side. ~ UFO believer would believe in God yes but Christians fail to believe in UFO's.

I do get the impression that many people believe in God but I might be the only one (or 1 of few) who actually know about God instead of belief.

The failure to believe is a severe defect in character, because the adventure of life is to explore the unknown.
PghPanther wrote:
The real fault I see in the UFO claims comes from the ignorance of humanity on the subject of such ideas.........

We call that as spiritual life.

Being far more intelligent, and invisible to ignorant humans.

That too is the realm of God.

There is so much assumed by you here I don't know where to begin..............to know God?.................really?

Let me guess...........you know God through the inspiration of the Holy Spirit whom reveals God's secrets to the saved through his scriptures...............does that sound about right?

Well if so........then why is there no consistent revelation by this Holy Spirit whom the Bible says is capable of searching the depths of thought of God the Father.....but can't get into the puny brains of humans to reveal a consistent revelation to those who truly follow Christ?

There are over 30,000 denominations of Protestant believers alone whose variations on doctrine will end up conflicting with each other to the point of being labeled as blasphemous to the other and a ticket to hell for holding that doctrine as God inspired through the Holy Spirit...

Now its either one or the other yet both will claim Holy Spirit revelation..............so either this spirit is playing a huge joke on all you believers.....or maybe its just your own minds thinking you have some intervention in knowing when in fact nothing exists at all outside of your own thoughts..........