Mental imagery as non-physical experience

Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

AgnosticBoy
Guru

Mental imagery as non-physical experience

Post #1

Post by AgnosticBoy »

On another thread, I argued that mental imagery is nonphysical in that it lacks physical characteristics. Some materialists disagreed offering nothing more than a future promise that we'll discover how they're "purely physical". Here's one description of a type of mental imagery:
A hallucination is a perception in the absence of external stimulus that has qualities of real perception. Hallucinations are vivid, substantial, and are perceived to be located in external objective space. They are distinguishable from these related phenomena: dreaming, which does not involve wakefulness; illusion, which involves distorted or misinterpreted real perception; imagery, which does not mimic real perception and is under voluntary control; and pseudohallucination, which does not mimic real perception, but is not under voluntary control.[1] Hallucinations also differ from "delusional perceptions", in which a correctly sensed and interpreted stimulus (i.e., a real perception) is given some additional (and typically absurd) significance.

Hallucinations can occur in any sensory modality—visual, auditory, olfactory, gustatory, tactile, proprioceptive, equilibrioceptive, nociceptive, thermoceptive and chronoceptive
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hallucination

My view is that the perception of mental images constitutes an experience of something non-physical. For those who think otherwise, please do the following:

Explain how or why the experience of hallucinations is physical or of something physical.
Last edited by AgnosticBoy on Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

AgnosticBoy
Guru

Post #31

Post by AgnosticBoy »

Divine Insight wrote:
AgnosticBoy wrote: I'm willing to be more lenient. If you can't afford to build such a computer (that was Divine Insight's explanation) then at least work with the brain we have and demonstrate with scientific peer-reviewed evidence how the brain produces subjective experience, such as our perception of mental imagery.
Scientists are working on this. What we are objecting to is your premature jumping to conclusions before any conclusive evidence has been produced.
It's true that scientists are working on this issue but unlike you, I've presented evidence that the solution will not lead to a purely physical explanation. Non-physical phenomena lack physical properties, and I've presented evidence and reasoning as to why mental imagery and consciousness are nonphysical. I'll get into more specifics as I address your post below.
Divine Insight wrote:
AgnosticBoy wrote: The fact is that only specific types of physical processes and hardware enable us to perceive an images. Using science and logic, I've already explained what's involved in our perception of images (sensory stimuli, sensory organs, visible light, and all objectively observable -IF purely physical, etc). None of these factors are present when it comes to our perception of mental imagery.
It most certainly doesn't require repeating the same process of physical sensory input inside the brain in order to perceive an image. If that were the case then you would need an infinite regression of these processes in order to perceive anything at all.

All you are doing is claiming that the input method of viewing external images must be repeated within the brain in order to create the perception of having seen the image.

That's clearly not what's going on. You apparently have a very naive idea of what needs to occur within a brain in order to create the perception of having seen an image.

And we have already demonstrated this by explaining to you that this isn't even what happens within a computer. So we already know that this isn't what happens.

Even a computer doesn't "perceive" images in the way you are demanding that a brain must do. So we have already demonstrated the fallacy of your argument. You just haven't yet understood that demonstration.
Materialists here keep bringing up computers as an analogy because the image comes from an internal source, but this analogy falls short since internal source (memory) requires the physical factors involved in perception (monitors, visible light, our senses) in order for us to perceive the image. There are NO other "physical" ways to perceive of images and that's true whether the source of the image comes from internal or external (environment) input. While mental imagery may also be based on an internal source, it however does not involve the physical factors I mentioned in the last sentence to be perceived.
Divine Insight wrote: Your idea that because we can't observe actual images in the brain this means that "mental images" are not physical is simple non-sequitur. And we have already tried to explain this to you by showing how there are no actual images stored in a computer.
I accept that there are no actual images "stored" in computers. I also accept that there are no actual images stored in the brain. In the case of the latter, it is not simply because the information exist in a digital-like form but rather it's because the mental image itself is nonphysical when it is in its image-like form.

I'm sure you'd at least acknowledge that there's a difference between the way we perceive physical images and the way we perceive mental images. You unjustifiably call the latter type of perception "physical", eventhough there's a complete lack of physical properties involved with mental images and the way we perceive them.
Divine Insight wrote:
AgnosticBoy wrote: It seems as if you're grasping for any or all brain hardware or physical process to say that that's all images involve.
False. In fact, when we are talking about the subjective experiences of perceiving an image, no actual images even need to be involved at all. All that is required is the "perception" of an image.
Well we can both agree that mental imagery involves experiencing SOMETHING. If the problem is that you just don't want to use the term "image" then lets at least acknowledge what the experience involves. The experience involves color, objects, people, 3D, 2D, actions involving imagery (e.g. weight lifting), etc - again all features of images. I see no big problem or world of a difference here that I haven't already addressed.
Divine Insight wrote:
AgnosticBoy wrote:But the experience that I'm talking about isn't about experiencing 1's and 0's. In the case of mental images, we have a perceptual-like experience of "images".
Irrelevant. Once again, this is nothing more than your own inability to recognize that for a computer 1's and 0's are the way it perceives things. In fact that's the only thing that digital computers can truly perceive.
The state of information stored in memory is not the same as the state of information displayed on a monitor. Our subjective experience of mental imagery is more along the lines of how things are displayed on a monitor in that mental images involve seeing color, shapes, etc. Sometimes it can feel even more real than what you're seeing in a monitor like when this imagery project onto our environment as in the case of hallucinations. In fact, even an "image" is a representation of something in the real world, so representation need not be limited to the basic level of representation or only 1's and 0's.
Divine Insight wrote:
AgnosticBoy wrote: Except that we know how data on a computer leads to an image. We perceive that data "physically" with monitors, light, etc. I would like to see proof of how that would work in our brain since we have no monitors/speakers in our minds yet we still experience imagery, sound, etc.
You just shot your own position in the foot right there.

If we have no monitor/speakers in our minds then why would you think it would be necessary to have a physical image in our mind in order to perceive one?
Because that is how information is physically perceivable, whether it comes from internal input (memory) or external input from the environment. Yet there are no monitors nor speakers in our minds, but yet we are able to subjectively (nonphysical - lack of senses, sensory stimuli, etc) experience sound and imagery.
Divine Insight wrote:
AgnosticBoy wrote:To reiterate the point in the quote at the beginning of this post, we certainly haven't engineered this ability in computers since there are no "internal" images nor are there any internal subjective or "first-person" experience (perceptual like) to even be aware of these types of images to begin with. The simple fact is that images in the form of digital information only exist in fully extracted and perceivable form when it gets transmitted to a screen or printed out.
This is actually wrong as well. A computer can use the non-image binary information to work on "images" within a program without any need to reconstruct the data into an actual image. In fact, computers do this sort of thing all the time. Especially programs that are used for navigation, etc. In fact these techniques are used in computer generated games constantly.

So a computer can "perceive" the information contained in the data used to store an image in terms of making sense of that data for navigational purposes, etc.
Well in a sense, all the computer is "perceiving" is information, whether it be digital or not. It does not perceive actual features of an image, like "color", "shapes", "3D", until it is transmitted to a monitor.
Divine Insight wrote:
AgnosticBoy wrote: It does not only involve the flow of electricity and chemicals. Mental imagery involves color, shape, dimensions, and can even be projected onto physical space without really occupying space (e.g. hallucinations).
Wait a minute! What do you mean it can even be projected onto physical space without occupying space (e.g. hallucinations).

What makes you say that? Do you think that when you see a hallucination you are actually seeing a projection in front of you via your eyeballs?

I'm certain that hallucinations don't work this way.
I'll describe what I mean just in case "projected" is the wrong word. Some hallucinations involve "seeing" things in the environment in front of you. Like if I start seeing a dog in my living room. That is clearly something that's being projected in a real setting that's outside of my brain.
Divine Insight wrote: In fact, if you are thinking in terms of some non-physical soul being the ultimate agent of experience, then by your own arguments this non-physical soul would need to have eyeballs to see the light from these physical images that you claim must exist.

Your entire approach to the problem is extremely flawed. It cannot be how you imagine it to be. Your idea only ends up creating an infinite regression of light, eyeballs, and images. There would never be a way to terminate this process, UNLESS,.....
I don't buy into the idea of souls. I view the mind or consciousness as being an emergent nonphysical faculty of the brain as opposed to being some separate entity or person.
Divine Insight wrote: Please note: Just because I understand the materialistic view does not mean that I'm a "materialist". I'm not arguing for a materialistic worldview. None the less, I will point out when people have the scientific knowledge of physics wrong.

I can understand physics without embracing a materialistic worldview. I neither embrace it nor dismiss it. I'm agnostic when it comes to knowing the true nature of reality.

We don't need to explain how subjective consciousness works. All we need to do is observe that subjective consciousness is always accompanied by electrical activity in the brain. That's all we need to show.

This doesn't amount to a materialistic explanation of subjective experience. But it does demonstrate that you claim that there is no physics involved in the process is clearly false.

And that's all we need to show. You are claiming that something "non-physical" needs to be going on. And we have shown that your claim is false. There is no evidence that anything non-physical "needs" to occur in this process.

That's all we need to show. We don't need to explain how subjective experience actually works. We openly confess that we do not yet have the answer to that question.

But you are still wrong in your demand that it has been shown that something non-physical needs to occur in the process. That is simply wrong. That has not been demonstrated to be required.
I haven't encountered anyone here that's willing to venture away from materialism other than William. You seem to expect a complete materialistic explanation for consciousness.
Divine Insight wrote: I think the whole problem with your entire approach is that you are viewing the brain from the vantage point of being a little man sitting inside the brain watching the entire show. For this reason you believe that hallucinations must actually produce physical images that you can "see" with your eyes. And you seem to even think that if you can "see" an image inside your brain it must be on some sort of screen where this little man in the chair can then look at the screen and see the image.

All you are doing here is creating an infinite regression hypothesis.

Because keep in mind, all your explanation would then need to be applied to the little man sitting in the brain. He too would then need to have a brain that works precisely as our brain works. So he would then need to have an even smaller man sitting inside his brain, and so on ad infinitude.

Clearly your thinking is wrong here.
If it appeared this way then I would have no problem accepting it as an observation or an experience to be explained. But the homunculus that you described is not part of my view.
Divine Insight wrote:
AgnosticBoy wrote:Besides your lack of empirical evidence, have we even engineered this in computers. In other words, does the flow of electricity in a computer lead to "internal" images and enable the ability to perceive them, or are they only perceivable once transferred to monitors?
How are you using the term "perceive" here? :-ki

If I walk into a room that has motion detectors and a camera connected to my computer, and my computer says, "Hello, I see you have just walked in the front door".

Did my computer just "perceive" my presence?

If so, then computers can perceive things. And if they can perceive eternal input, then they can also perceive the results of their own "thinking".

If you reject this idea of "perception" and instead are attempting to use the term to mean "sentient subjective experience", then that's a totally different subject entirely.

I personally don't believe that a digital computer could ever have a truly "sentient subjective experience" in the same way a human does. I believe it could simulate behavior that appears to have that quality. But as long as it's a digital computer just processing machine code on a CPU I personally believe that it could never have a truly sentient experience.

I personally believe that in order to create that phenomenon an analog computer would be required. But our brains are analog computers. That's what they are.

So there may be a way to explain how it is that we can have a "sentient subjective experience". The explanation may be found in the analog processes.

In fact, that's where I would place my money if we're taking bets.
Perception involves being aware of something and we do this by using our senses. If we use perception in a limited sense to refer to being able to "detect" so something then I'd accept your example of detecting your presence using sensors. However, there are no physical means for it to detect thoughts involving imagery because there are no ways for computers to "store" images except for displaying them on screens. A computer certainly would not have any subjective experience.
Divine Insight wrote:End of story. The materialists win this argument whether they are actually materialists or not. :D
This guy...
Image defeated materialism long before I took this issue seriously. I'm only adding scientific evidence to his view.

DrNoGods
Prodigy

Post #32

Post by DrNoGods »

[Replying to post 30 by AgnosticBoy]
Non-physical phenomena lack physical properties, and I've presented evidence and reasoning as to why mental imagery and consciousness are nonphysical.
How does this statement make any sense? Nonphysical things lack physical properties by definition. If they had physical properties then they would, by definition, not be nonphysical. Mental images are nonphysical, as is experience, consciousness, etc. and no one is disupting that. However, the lack of physical properties in no way relates to whether or not they are created by physical processes.

You seem to be trying to argue that because a mental image, or consciousness has no physical properties that this somehow leads to the conclusion that they are not created by physical processes. But that does not follow. All the materialist is saying is that via complicated processes in the brain involving physical matter in the brain (neurons, memory elements, electrical and chemical entities, etc.) the various nonphysical things you are referencing are created and perceived by the human being. Nothing you have provided so far has shown that not to be the case.

Nonphysical things like consciousness can be created purely by physical processes, until someone is able to prove otherwise which to date has not happened (and the guy you showed a photo of ... whoever that is ... has not "defeated" materialism).
In human affairs the sources of success are ever to be found in the fountains of quick resolve and swift stroke; and it seems to be a law, inflexible and inexorable, that he who will not risk cannot win.
John Paul Jones, 1779

The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read.
Mark Twain

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #33

Post by Divine Insight »

[Replying to post 31 by DrNoGods]

I agree with the essence of what you are saying. However, I personally have a problem with calling anything 'non-physical', such as mental images, experience, consciousness, etc.

To even call these things 'non-physical' is a semantic error actually.

For example, consider an image that we can actually see on a computer screen. A photo of something that actually exists in the real world. Is that a physical image?

Well, we can argue two different ways:

We can argue that it is physical because the image itself is actually constructed of physical pixels of different colors or gray-scales of light.

However, we can also argue that the image itself is 'non-physical' in that the image is not the pixels but rather it's the "arrangement" of the pixels. So while the pixels are physical, the actual "image" is not. I disagree with this argument, because from my perspective a particular physical arrangement of pixels is itself a physical property of the collection of pixels. So I even dismiss this latter case where an image is said to be "non-physical".

In fact, I make this argument for any kind of "information". Information requires that some physical medium is in a particular formation. In other words, all information is nothing more than physical matter in formation.

We tend to allow for the 'non-physical' abstraction of information because we can see that the information itself can be transfered from one physical formation to another without loss of the abstract (i.e. non-physical) information.

However, there is never a time when information can exist in any meaningful way without taking on at least some physical formation. Therefore I hold that even information is always necessarily physical. No matter how "abstract" we might like to think of it.

In a similar way things like experience and consciousness may also always be dependent upon physical processes and formations or patterns. If that's the case, then even experience and consciousness cannot escape materialism.

To even allow these things to be labeled as 'non-physical' is to give a misleading impression. There's really nothing 'non-physical' about them if they cannot exist outside of some physical process or pattern.

So I'm not prepared to embrace the labeling of anything as being 'non-physical' unless we can actually prove that it can exist totally independent of any physical process, formation, or pattern.

And I don't see where we have done that for mental images, experience, or even consciousness itself. So allowing that any of these things are 'non-physical' is a premature semantic error. They haven't yet been shown to be 'non-physical'.

So it's probably not a good idea to even embrace that kind of nomenclature when it hasn't yet been shown to be the case.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

AgnosticBoy
Guru

Post #34

Post by AgnosticBoy »

DrNoGods wrote: [Replying to post 30 by AgnosticBoy]
Non-physical phenomena lack physical properties, and I've presented evidence and reasoning as to why mental imagery and consciousness are nonphysical.
How does this statement make any sense? Nonphysical things lack physical properties by definition. If they had physical properties then they would, by definition, not be nonphysical. Mental images are nonphysical, as is experience, consciousness, etc. and no one is disupting that. However, the lack of physical properties in no way relates to whether or not they are created by physical processes.

You seem to be trying to argue that because a mental image, or consciousness has no physical properties that this somehow leads to the conclusion that they are not created by physical processes. But that does not follow. All the materialist is saying is that via complicated processes in the brain involving physical matter in the brain (neurons, memory elements, electrical and chemical entities, etc.) the various nonphysical things you are referencing are created and perceived by the human being. Nothing you have provided so far has shown that not to be the case.

Nonphysical things like consciousness can be created purely by physical processes, until someone is able to prove otherwise which to date has not happened (and the guy you showed a photo of ... whoever that is ... has not "defeated" materialism).
Well there are many materialists who object to anything being nonphysical. It's almost like some knee jerk reaction they have to equating "non-physical" with religion or mysticism.

Under my view, the mind is an emergent non-physical faculty of the brain. But it is not enough to say that the mind is non-physical because there's also evidence that it plays a causal role. If true, then we should start considering any causal role that the mind has when it comes to consciousness, self-consciousness, behavior, free-will, etc..

Btw, the picture in my last post is of philosopher David Chalmers. He coined the term 'hard problem'. and 'easy problem' of consciousness. Most of my views are based on one of his books.

DrNoGods
Prodigy

Post #35

Post by DrNoGods »

[Replying to post 32 by Divine Insight]
So I'm not prepared to embrace the labeling of anything as being 'non-physical' unless we can actually prove that it can exist totally independent of any physical process, formation, or pattern.
The point I was trying to make in my response to AB was that things that may be described as "nonphysical" can be the result of physical processes, which he has stated several times he has a problem with (ie. "nonphysical entities lacking physical properties"). Going too far with the pedantics on whether consciousness is a physical entity or not is way beyond the simple point I was making, which was simply that something like a mental image that can't be touched, weighed, put in a box, etc. can still be the result of physical processes.

If I understand AB's problem, it is that he doesn't agree that this is possible, or else it is that he wants science to be able to itemize every step of the process at the molecular level (or cellular level as he put it) before he will believe that it is possible. So I'm using "nonphysical" in the sense that he has been using it in this thread ... which I believe is in the simple, broad sense of something that is not physical (ie. something that is not made of matter of some sort). But I may be wrong on what he means by "nonphysical" and instead it is some deep, unusual meaning that I am not aware of beyond "not made of matter."
In human affairs the sources of success are ever to be found in the fountains of quick resolve and swift stroke; and it seems to be a law, inflexible and inexorable, that he who will not risk cannot win.
John Paul Jones, 1779

The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read.
Mark Twain

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #36

Post by Divine Insight »

AgnosticBoy wrote: This guy...
(David Chalmers) defeated materialism long before I took this issue seriously. I'm only adding scientific evidence to his view.
Oh I see. You are adding scientific evidence to an otherwise empty theory.

I imagine David Chalmers will be eternally grateful to you for your scientific evidence to back up his otherwise unsupported theories.

I too have been following David Chalmers lectures and views. However, from what I've seen thus far David has not yet claimed to be able to back up any of his theories with any compelling scientific evidence. He makes philosophical arguments.

In fact he is a philosopher, not a scientist.

He also confesses to be agnostic on the question just like me. :D

So I don't think you are fully understanding his position if you think that he has defeated materialism. He wouldn't be agnostic if he thought he had done that.

Not only that, but if he had actually defeated materialism, even in philosophy, he would have been recognized by the philosophic community to have done that. But that's clearly not the case.

So the claim that he has defeated materialism is blatantly untrue.
[center]Image
[/center]

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #37

Post by Divine Insight »

DrNoGods wrote: So I'm using "nonphysical" in the sense that he has been using it in this thread ... which I believe is in the simple, broad sense of something that is not physical (ie. something that is not made of matter of some sort).
But is it true that we have ever encountered anything that is not made of matter?

I suggest that we haven't. Especially nothing that we could demonstrate to not be made of matter.

Some mathematicians argue that logic and math are "non-physical". But I'll even take on that argument. :D In fact, mathematicians have philosophical discussions on this quite often up to this very day. I would love to participate in one of those discussions. I would take the position that neither logic nor mathematics is 'non-physical'.

Of course that's a whole other topic.

However, to even allow that mental images, experience, or consciousness are "non-physical" is to suggest that you actually know what they are. Otherwise how can you say that they are non-physical? (i.e. not made of matter)

Note: Keep in mind that any physical processes are necessarily "made of matter", because these processes couldn't exist if it wasn't for the matter that creates the patterns and dance that we are calling the "process". So even processes are necessarily physical.
[center]Image
[/center]

AgnosticBoy
Guru

Post #38

Post by AgnosticBoy »

Divine Insight wrote:
DrNoGods wrote: So I'm using "nonphysical" in the sense that he has been using it in this thread ... which I believe is in the simple, broad sense of something that is not physical (ie. something that is not made of matter of some sort).
But is it true that we have ever encountered anything that is not made of matter?

I suggest that we haven't. Especially nothing that we could demonstrate to not be made of matter.

Some mathematicians argue that logic and math are "non-physical". But I'll even take on that argument. :D In fact, mathematicians have philosophical discussions on this quite often up to this very day. I would love to participate in one of those discussions. I would take the position that neither logic nor mathematics is 'non-physical'.

Of course that's a whole other topic.

However, to even allow that mental images, experience, or consciousness are "non-physical" is to suggest that you actually know what they are. Otherwise how can you say that they are non-physical? (i.e. not made of matter)

Note: Keep in mind that any physical processes are necessarily "made of matter", because these processes couldn't exist if it wasn't for the matter that creates the patterns and dance that we are calling the "process". So even processes are necessarily physical.
Mental images are non physical and are involved in causation so clearly causation and "processes" are not isolated to just physical entities. Apparently you forgot about the study I posted earlier on mental weight lifting.

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #39

Post by Divine Insight »

AgnosticBoy wrote: Mental images are non physical and are involved in causation so clearly causation and "processes" are not isolated to just physical entities. Apparently you forgot about the study I posted earlier on mental weight lifting.
Where is your proof that "mental images" are non physical?

I haven't seen any proof on this at all. All I've heard thus far are logically flawed arguments.

My computer can lift weights too via nothing more than a software program. Is a computer program 'non physical'?

In fact, auto manufactures have robots that can build entire automobiles via nothing more than computer programs.

If a computer program can cause weights to be lifted why should we be surprised that a human brain can do this as well?
[center]Image
[/center]

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #40

Post by Bust Nak »

AgnosticBoy wrote: I'm not asking materialists to do anything different than the following...

I'm willing to be more lenient. If you can't afford to build such a computer (that was Divine Insight's explanation) then at least work with the brain we have and demonstrate with scientific peer-reviewed evidence how the brain produces subjective experience, such as our perception of mental imagery.
We are working on it.
It seems as if you're grasping for any or all brain hardware or physical process to say that that's all images involve. The fact is that only specific types of physical processes and hardware enable us to perceive an images. Using science and logic, I've already explained what's involved in our perception of images (sensory stimuli, sensory organs, visible light, and all objectively observable -IF purely physical, etc). None of these factors are present when it comes to our perception of mental imagery.
How on Earth would you know these factors aren't present when it comes to our perception? How on Earth would you know these factors aren't the only factors present?
Some materialists here (DrNoGods, Divine Insight) have pointed to specific components and processes, like memory and visual cortex, that are involved in mental imagery. While this shows what's involved, their explanations still fall short in that they lack empirical evidence to demonstrate how or what would enable us to have "internal" images, that happen to be nonphysical (e.g. hallucinations) and internal perception to perceive them.
You haven't established that there is anything non-physical with hallucinations yet. All you have is circular reasoning along the lines of: it's not physical because we don't have a physical explanation; we don't have a physical explanation because it is non-physical.
To reiterate the point in the quote at the beginning of this post, we certainly haven't engineered this ability in computers since there are no "internal" images nor are there any internal subjective or "first-person" experience (perceptual like) to even be aware of these types of images to begin with.
Granted.
The simple fact is that images in the form of digital information only exist in fully extracted and perceivable form when it gets transmitted to a screen or printed out.
Right, and yet there is zero reason to think there is anything non-physical about digital information. So why would you jump to the conclusion that there is something non-physical about hallucinations?
It does not only involve the flow of electricity and chemicals. Mental imagery involves color, shape, dimensions, and can even be projected onto physical space without really occupying space (e.g. hallucinations).
You don't know any of that to the true. You are inventing a problem to sell a solution. If we still cannot explain consciousness AFTER we have fully explained the brain, THEN you can say perception does not involve just electricity and chemicals, and not a moment before that.
None of these features I brought up, have been shown to be properties of "electricity", "chemicals", nor a physical brain.
Granted, and that's quite different from showing these feature to be something other than the properties of "electricity", "chemicals", or a physical brain. You know that right?
You could say that these are involved in leading to physical perception but then we'd have to bring in more components, like sensory stimuli, sensory organs, etc.

Besides your lack of empirical evidence, have we even engineered this in computers. In other words, does the flow of electricity in a computer lead to "internal" images and enable the ability to perceive them, or are they only perceivable once transferred to monitors?
Current computers are not conscious, and cannot perceive digital images. I readily accept that. But that is not enough to conclude that future computers can never be conscious.
But the experience that I'm talking about isn't about experiencing 1's and 0's. In the case of mental images, we have a perceptual-like experience of "images".
Right, but that's no reason to think it isn't about the electricity and chemical in the brain.
Scientists have no problem classifying them as non-existent. We can at least say that the "image" itself (colors, objects, of ghosts, people, etc) certainly doesn't occupy physical space. Perhaps they exist physically in a non-extracted form, like digital information in our memory.
In the same sense, digital images can be classified as non-existent. We can say that the digital image itself doesn't occupy physical space. And yet you've stated that digital images are physical. Why the double standard?
Except that we know how data on a computer leads to an image. We perceive that data "physically" with monitors, light, etc. I would like to see proof of how that would work in our brain since we have no monitors/speakers in our minds yet we still experience imagery, sound, etc.
You could say the same to someone who doesn't know anything about the workings of computers and digital images, and he wouldn't be able to tell you anything other than, "we are working on it." His lack of an explanation of how 1 and 0 lead to pixels lighting up on a screen, doesn't mean materialism is an inadequate worldview.

With the notable exception of a lack of an explanation of consciousness, every one of your other arguments you used to argue mental images are somehow non-material, I can use for digital image. Every other argument you used to argue digital images are material, I can use for mental image.

As for that one exception, you have not justified the thesis that it is a fundamental inadequacy of material explanation; as opposed to our limited understanding of the brain, the same way someone who don't understand computers can't explain digital images. It's a bit premature to declare materialism defeated, don't you think?