God got it wrong!

Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

2ndRateMind
Site Supporter

God got it wrong!

Post #1

Post by 2ndRateMind »

Not in the big things, like good and evil, but in the details, like how many fingers we all should have.

If we had six fingers and toes, at each extremity, instead of five, we might have a numeric system base 12, like the eccentric Babylonians came up with, rather than base 10, which is what we are stuck with.

Base 12 is preferable, since 12 is divisible by 1, 2, 3, 4 and 6.

Base 10 is only divisible by 1, 2 and 5.

Mathematics could have been so much easier, with 6 digits, instead of 5!

Best wishes, 2RM.

Bust Nak
Savant

Re: God got it wrong!

Post #2

Post by Bust Nak »

[Replying to post 1 by 2ndRateMind]
But Babylonians, being the same species, had the same number of fingers we do... We are to blame for picking base 10.

bluethread
Savant

Post #3

Post by bluethread »

I am not sure about the premise. Sure, our numbering system matches the digits on our two hands, but that does not mean that a creator deity required us to go with that. We do have twelve knuckles in the fingers on each hand, not counting our thumbs. In fact, the duodecimal system had it's shot and is still used in part today. 12 months in a year, 12 hours each in a day and night, a dozen donuts, 12 inches in a foot. Some argue that base 12 is the system ordained by a deity, or rather the system based on the king's dimensions, inch, foot, yard, cubit, span, etc. Others insist that everything in the universe be enumerated using base 10, for consistency. Currently, in these United States, the king's dimensions tend to rule in private life and the decimal system tends to rule in professional life.

Tcg
Savant

Post #4

Post by Tcg »

God is trying to correct this error with the Amish. Sadly, his attempted correction comes so late in the game that it isn't likely to change mathematics.

2ndRateMind
Site Supporter

Post #5

Post by 2ndRateMind »

[Replying to post 4 by Tcg]

I think we all could learn a lot from the Amish. But then again, they could probably do well to learn a few things from the rest of us.

This wasn't the point of the thread, but cultural diversity seems to me to be 'a good thing' just so long as we don't get so arrogant as to think our own way of life is the only way of life God condones.

Best wishes, 2RM.

Tcg
Savant

Post #6

Post by Tcg »

[Replying to post 5 by 2ndRateMind]

I'm not sure what your response has to do with the good news I've provided. God is correcting the error you pointed out by providing some Amish with the extra digits you claim humans should have had to start with. His correction comes very late in the game, but better late then never I suppose.

William
Savant

Post #7

Post by William »

I think that mathematics is not about fingers and toes. Obviously any manner in which numbers are used does not seriously cause a species any major problems.

What mathematics represents for me is evidence that the whole universe is encoded and this leads to an understanding that it is most likely some type of simulation we are all experiencing, which in itself tends toward the...artificial.