Signs We're in a Simulation

Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

ElCodeMonkey
Site Supporter

Signs We're in a Simulation

Post #1

Post by ElCodeMonkey »

I would take for granted that we can never prove that we are not in a simulation any more than we can prove there is no God. In the same fashion, to believe we are in a simulation takes only small evidences or consistencies that sound reasonable enough to a given person for belief. So what are some of the small evidences that might lead one to believe a simulation is likely? One example might be the fact that certain arithmetic algorithms appear regularly in the universe. Makes it seem "designed" with a computer program. Other things might include quantum mechanics regarding tunneling, entanglement, wave/particle duality, and functioning as waves of probability. Those might need fleshed out as far as why they might indicate a simulation though. What else might support the idea that we are in a simulation? Or what might be inconsistent with the theory?
I'm Published! Christians Are Revolting: An Infidel's Progress
My Blog: Friendly By Nurture
The Wisdom I've gleaned.
My Current Beliefs.

William
Savant

Post #41

Post by William »

[Replying to post 39]

William: General rule of thumb I follow is that when an opponent resorts to personal insults they have wandered away from actual debate and conceded.

However, I always offer them the chance to go 1 on 1, so if you think you can do so with me on the subject of evidence for a simulated universe, without resorting to personal insult I am happy to do so.
If not, then our interaction is over.

Clownboat: Would you find it reasonable to go one on one with someone arguing that the earth is flat?

William: Yes. I also think it reasonable to think of humanity as one race.
But as soon as the flat-earther started resorting to personal insult, I would see that as their conceding.

Clownboat: I wouldn't, because to debate such an un-evidenced thing would be to give it credit that it doesn't deserve.

William: I am not that closeted by my judgmentalism of what is credulous and what is not.
It makes for a far more interesting life experience as well.
I recommend it on that point alone, but reserve you the right to decline an invitation due to your prejudice.

Clownboat: The main difference I see is that we can show that the earth is not flat. We cannot show that we are NOT in a simulation. Perhaps you should be thankful that we are considering what you are laying down. Not finding it convincing yet, but you are getting your say at least.

Food for thought...

William: At least you are willing to note the difference and perhaps from that point, think about it.
I find that talking/debating allows for the juices of thought to flow as ideas are bounced around.
1 on 1 would certainly afford such opportunity.

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #42

Post by Purple Knight »

William wrote:Clownboat: Would you find it reasonable to go one on one with someone arguing that the earth is flat?

William: Yes.
It might be harder than you think since most of us are very well used to laughing off these kinds of claims.

Most of us haven't actually cut our teeth on that argument because it's just never been required before.

Well, how would you peel a loquat? Maybe you don't know, because you've always eaten them whole. Food for thought.

William
Savant

Well, how would you peel a loquat?

Post #43

Post by William »

[Replying to post 41]

Purple Knight: It might be harder than you think since most of us are very well used to laughing off these kinds of claims.

William: Yes. One understands this dynamic. The idea we exist within a Reality Simulation is laughable in a nervous way.

Thinking about it opens up the rabbit hole significantly, and most appear not to even be able to look into it for fear of succumbing to it's powerful allure...it is surely much safer on the edges/naturalism/science or even well away from the edges/religiosity/general human mindset...

Look The Beast directly in The Eye - I say...

Purple Knight: Most of us haven't actually cut our teeth on that argument because it's just never been required before.

William: That is why I think the naturalist/sciency types would be more enticed to investigate, than are their close relatives, the religious types.

They, at least - are willing to poke around the edges...but all said and done, might as well go stand at a safer distance with the religious types.

Purple Knight: Well, how would you peel a loquat?

The Great God Google: First, cut the the loquat in half, and twist the two sides apart. It easily splits in half. Remove the stem by pulling it off by hand. Peel off the skin before removing the seeds (this way, you can hold it tightly without the flesh falling apart).

William: Seems like a lot of effort...

Purple Knight: Maybe you don't know, because you've always eaten them whole. Food for thought.

William: Yummy.

*shrugs*

I suppose you and I could chat about it at this table. Maybe help ease peoples minds and get them curious to come closer to the edge and peer into that abyss...

[center]Image[/center]

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Re: Well, how would you peel a loquat?

Post #44

Post by Purple Knight »

[Replying to post 42 by William]

You're not the first one to accuse me of trying to eat the universe.

I don't spit out the seeds. Lets new universes sprout up.

Swami
Sage

Re: Signs We're in a Simulation

Post #45

Post by Swami »

EarthScienceguy wrote: Where does this pure consciousness reside?
It is not isolated to any one point. It is simply inherent to existence. I see it as the "witness" to existence.
EarthScienceguy wrote: Is this consciousness the universe?
Please follow from my previous response. There can be existence without the Universe but there can not be existence without consciousness. Therefore, consciousness is more fundamental than the Universe. The universe is simply a manifestation of consciousness.
EarthScienceguy wrote: Where did this consciousness receive its special knowledge from?
All knowledge is already present in pure conscious existence. When we meditate, we can begin to become part of this existence by subduing all mental and bodily input. But some people mere tap into this existence as opposed to becoming fully connected to it. Tapping into it, we start uncovering some of its features like being able to exist as part of anything or everything, obtaining knowledge without learning, healings, seeing the future, seeing another's mind, etc. When you fully merge with this pure conscious existence, then you become God. The mystic Jesus tapped into this existence but he never fully became God.
EarthScienceguy wrote:Where does the morality of this consciousness come from? What is the morality of this consciousness? How do you know that this consciousness is good and not evil?
I believe all morality boils down to this: treat others as you would want to be treated. In Eastern thought, this is not only true conceptually, but even metaphysically. We are all one. You do not really exist separate from me. It only appears this way through the filter of your mind and senses.
EarthScienceguy wrote: Seems like you are trusting in something that you do not know.
Everything I'm telling comes from thousands of years of experiences from Eastern thinkers. You may not fully accept it but I can ask if you have a way of perceiving reality without the filter of the senses and mind. Eastern philosophy emphasizes this and many mystics have left us with a great body of knowledge. This is something that even scientists envy.

William
Savant

More Signs

Post #46

Post by William »

Last edited by William on Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

William
Savant

Post #47

Post by William »

Last edited by William on Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Peter
Guru

Post #48

Post by Peter »

[Replying to ElCodeMonkey in post #1]

I first heard this simulation theory from Sam Harris. It’s compelling because it’s ridiculously easy to assume your way there.

Assume we will eventually build computers with the processing power to simulate an entire inhabited planet.

Assume we will want to run simulations to study all kinds of things.

From those two simple assumptions we can predict that there would be many more simulations running than the one reality.

So the odds are that we are currently in a simulation to find the answer to global warming or something. Relax, we will never know if it’s a simulation so live your life like it’s all real!
Religion is poison because it asks us to give up our most precious faculty, which is that of reason, and to believe things without evidence. It then asks us to respect this, which it calls faith. - Christopher Hitchens

brunumb
Savant

Post #49

Post by brunumb »

I just stumbled upon this and found it really intriguing. Not sure what I think about it though. Has it cropped up in any of the discussion so far?

The evidence we are living in a Simulation is everywhere. All you have to do is look.

George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #50

Post by boatsnguitars »

ElCodeMonkey wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:11 am I would take for granted that we can never prove that we are not in a simulation any more than we can prove there is no God. In the same fashion, to believe we are in a simulation takes only small evidences or consistencies that sound reasonable enough to a given person for belief. So what are some of the small evidences that might lead one to believe a simulation is likely? One example might be the fact that certain arithmetic algorithms appear regularly in the universe. Makes it seem "designed" with a computer program. Other things might include quantum mechanics regarding tunneling, entanglement, wave/particle duality, and functioning as waves of probability. Those might need fleshed out as far as why they might indicate a simulation though. What else might support the idea that we are in a simulation? Or what might be inconsistent with the theory?
My thoughts about this, brain in a vat, Matrix, Idealism, Dualism, etc:

It's fun to work ourselves up over it, but to me, the most obvious and parsimonious explanation seems to me that we are Matter. When I see all the Birth, Death, Decay, etc. It all seems too real, too raw, too specifically messy to be anything other than Matter. We dream and long for powers that would be so easy to explain and obtain if we were in some simulation, or in a magic realm, or in a supernatural universe - yet we don't and can't obtain them.

Things fall to their deaths, they decay and rot. Animals run for their lives from predators only to die in agony, screaming. We all desperately long for the pain to leave as we mourn loved ones, or experience the pain of an injury to body or "soul". It's all too much, and while none of this proves it - to me it's the case that I'd have to see overwhelming evidence that we aren't in a Material Universe: Alive (biochemically), mortal, made of flesh and blood (not supernatural stuff or digitized), etc.

Personally, I'm going to act as if I am made of Matter and have finite time to experience this world. I'll let others use their finite time to ponder other things.
“And do you think that unto such as you
A maggot-minded, starved, fanatic crew
God gave a secret, and denied it me?
Well, well—what matters it? Believe that, too!”
― Omar Khayyâm