Do demons exist? Can that be tested?

Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

John Human
Scholar

Do demons exist? Can that be tested?

Post #1

Post by John Human »

When I lived in Bali, I couldn't help observing the pervasive evidence of belief in demons. And of course demons put in an appearance in the Bible, not to mention in the gargoyles of old cathedrals.

On the other hand, modern science would seem to categorically reject the existence of demons, without a clear reason why, unless it has to do with the axiomatic presuppositions of science's governing ideology of reductionist materialism.

Question: Do demons exist? What evidence is there, for or against?

--
"Love is a force in the universe." -- Interstellar

"God don't let me lose my nerve" -- "Put Your Lights On"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCBS5EtszYI

"Who shall save the human race?"
-- "Wild Goose Chase" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5L45toPpEv0

"A piece is gonna fall on you..."
-- "All You Zombies" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63O_cAclG3A[/i]

John Human
Scholar

Re: Do demons exist? Can that be tested?

Post #421

Post by John Human »

Diagoras wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:21 pm
It's not 'energy' as you normally use it. It's not really a 'shock' or a 'sign of the cross'. It's not even 'God' in the Bible, now.
Your post gives the impression of hand-wringing by someone whose sense of satisfied certainty has just been upended.

Regarding "God" in the Bible, you are clearly referring to post #40 (there's a good biblical number) in the "demon epidemic" thread in the "Christianity and Apologetics" sub-forum, where I mentioned an established doctrine that "Elohim" and YHWH" (in the Old Testament) are not interchangeable. So far, you haven't responded over there. You are still welcome to do so; here's a link:
-
viewtopic.php?t=4396&start=30

William
Savant

Post #422

Post by William »

[Replying to William in post #414]
Okay I will have a look at the stories.

In the spirit of trade, I offer you a story and - should you read it - please identify the "Ancient Demon" from the list of characters presented.

:)

WingMakers Philosophy 2 – The Shifting Models of Existence

eta:
Ancient Demon = 117
You Will
Duty Calls
Imperishable
Lots More
Nurture
Imaginal cells
Memorandum
Stochastic
The Father God

THE DEMON AND THE PRINCE = 201
Walk The Talk In Love
Sweet Vibrations
To Be Sovereignty
The lightest planet
With the story of "The Demon and the Prince" I am left with the idea that demonic behavior is like human behavior based primarily in self-survival techniques involving parasitic principles.

Diagoras
Guru

Post #423

Post by Diagoras »

John Human wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:47 am
It's not 'energy' as you normally use it. It's not really a 'shock' or a 'sign of the cross'. It's not even 'God' in the Bible, now.
Your post gives the impression of hand-wringing by someone whose sense of satisfied certainty has just been upended.
Let me be clear, then: I see you claiming one thing, then changing your claim once you are challenged on it.

Regarding "God" in the Bible, <...>
In this thread, let's stick to the OP. Do demons exist? Can that be tested? You have made many claims about demons, and supplied some stories about one, called Ancient Demon. What you haven't done is provide anything in the way of proof that this demon talks to you, or has visited me.

Can Ancient Demon read English words? Tell him to visit me, read the words on my t-shirt and describe the picture on it. Should be easy enough for him, right? I promise that if you fully answer this correctly, you'll have an immediate convert to the idea that demons exist.

While any excuse to ignore or not to perform this test doesn't automatically disprove the existence of demons, it certainly fits my working hypothesis that Ancient Demon is a fiction invented by you. It's entirely up to you to decide: are you going to astonish me, or not?

John Human
Scholar

Post #424

Post by John Human »

Diagoras wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 3:56 pm
John Human wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:47 am
Let me be clear, then: I see you claiming one thing, then changing your claim once you are challenged on it.
It is hard to avoid the conclusion that that is a bare-faced lie, over-compensating for your embarrassment on the other thread, where you have no reply.

Diagoras
Guru

Post #425

Post by Diagoras »

[Replying to John Human in post #424]

Au contraire. I have replied.

Perhaps now you'll produce some actual evidence in a 'Science and Religion' forum for some of the claims you have made about your 'Ancient Demon', and that you have been repeatedly challenged on. Replying with some manufactured grievance as a continuation of your obfuscation here isn't going to fool anyone.

Getting a 'funny feeling' about part of a church when you were a child seems to be the best evidence you've provided so far. I'm about as convinced as I would be if you told me there's monsters under my bed.

Sherlock Holmes

Post #426

Post by Sherlock Holmes »

John Human wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:36 pm When I lived in Bali, I couldn't help observing the pervasive evidence of belief in demons. And of course demons put in an appearance in the Bible, not to mention in the gargoyles of old cathedrals.

On the other hand, modern science would seem to categorically reject the existence of demons, without a clear reason why, unless it has to do with the axiomatic presuppositions of science's governing ideology of reductionist materialism.

--
You ask do demons exist? This man at first thought they didn't...

brunumb
Savant

Post #427

Post by brunumb »

[Replying to Sherlock Holmes in post #426]

Your signature stood out at the bottom of that clip and it does not appear to be correct or logical.

"When one has eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

When one has eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be possible. There may be many things possible for a particular circumstance. How does that identify what must be the truth?
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

Kylie
Apprentice

Post #428

Post by Kylie »

John Human wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:36 pm When I lived in Bali, I couldn't help observing the pervasive evidence of belief in demons. And of course demons put in an appearance in the Bible, not to mention in the gargoyles of old cathedrals.

--
As far as I know, there is no evidence for demons that does not have a better, non-demon explanation.

Sherlock Holmes

Post #429

Post by Sherlock Holmes »

brunumb wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 7:46 pm [Replying to Sherlock Holmes in post #426]

Your signature stood out at the bottom of that clip and it does not appear to be correct or logical.

"When one has eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

When one has eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be possible. There may be many things possible for a particular circumstance. How does that identify what must be the truth?
Seriously?

brunumb
Savant

Post #430

Post by brunumb »

Sherlock Holmes wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 3:08 pm
brunumb wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 7:46 pm [Replying to Sherlock Holmes in post #426]

Seriously?
Absolutely. You haven't refuted it. Think about for a while and the penny might eventually drop.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.