Do demons exist? Can that be tested?

Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

John Human
Scholar

Do demons exist? Can that be tested?

Post #1

Post by John Human »

When I lived in Bali, I couldn't help observing the pervasive evidence of belief in demons. And of course demons put in an appearance in the Bible, not to mention in the gargoyles of old cathedrals.

On the other hand, modern science would seem to categorically reject the existence of demons, without a clear reason why, unless it has to do with the axiomatic presuppositions of science's governing ideology of reductionist materialism.

Question: Do demons exist? What evidence is there, for or against?

--
"Love is a force in the universe." -- Interstellar

"God don't let me lose my nerve" -- "Put Your Lights On"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCBS5EtszYI

"Who shall save the human race?"
-- "Wild Goose Chase" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5L45toPpEv0

"A piece is gonna fall on you..."
-- "All You Zombies" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63O_cAclG3A[/i]

John Human
Scholar

Re: an exorcist tells his story

Post #51

Post by John Human »

DrNoGods wrote: [Replying to post 48 by John Human]
Beyond that is your preposterous statement that the account of a leading exorcist doesn't constitute evidence for the existence of demons.

ROFL!! That has to be your best one yet! Just read that comment slowly and carefully to see how ridiculous it is from so many angles.

I know it is not proper on this forum to make one-liner comments or comments that don't contribute to the debate, but you literally just posted that discarding the account of a "leading exorcist" (seriously ... I can hardly type that for laughing) was preposterous, and then implied that the accounts of this "leading exorcist" should be accepted without question as constituting evidence for the existence of demons!

This post may be deleted, but seriously ... how far off the rails can this get?
I think your claim that I implied that the Vatican's chief exorcist's book should be "accepted without question" is either a hallucination or it is dishonest, or perhaps you really don't know that "evidence" is not the same as "proof." Evidence can be challenged and counter-evidence introduced, as anyone who has followed a court trial should know.

William
Savant

Post #52

Post by William »

[Replying to post 51 by John Human]

Just out of interest, I am wondering what Ancient Demon has to say about post#41

John Human
Scholar

Post #53

Post by John Human »

William wrote: [Replying to post 51 by John Human]

Just out of interest, I am wondering what Ancient Demon has to say about post#41
Ancient Demon has nothing to say at this time. I'll share a couple of thoughts of my own: I think that your idea about the origin of demons is not clear. Also, you spoke of demons and angels in the same sentence. Perhaps it is important to reiterate that demons and angels and devils are different types of beings from each other.

Clownboat
Savant

Post #54

Post by Clownboat »

John Human wrote:

Ancient Demon has nothing to say at this time. I'll share a couple of thoughts of my own: I think that your idea about the origin of demons is not clear. Also, you spoke of demons and angels in the same sentence. Perhaps it is important to reiterate that demons and angels and devils are different types of beings from each other.
Do Demons ever interact with leprechauns?

I have an authority on leprechauns that claims that demons are not real entities. Perhaps demons and leprechauns exist on different plains and cannot see or interact with each other? Just trying to figure out why leprechauns seem to discount the existence of demons.
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

Wootah
Savant

Post #55

Post by Wootah »

Clownboat wrote:
John Human wrote:

Do Demons ever interact with leprechauns?

I have an authority on leprechauns that claims that demons are not real entities. Perhaps demons and leprechauns exist on different plains and cannot see or interact with each other? Just trying to figure out why leprechauns seem to discount the existence of demons.
Moderator Comment
Hi Clownboat and John Human

Clownboat - please don't mock others

John Human - I'm not participating in your threads but I am dubious about your references to Ancient Demon. Please cease referring to others in debates. After discussing ideas with friends, family or demons in this forum it is your ideas we are hearing.

Please review the Rules.

Moderator comments do not count as a strike against any posters. They only serve as an acknowledgment that a post report has been received, but has not been judged to warrant a moderator warning against a particular poster. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

William
Savant

Post #56

Post by William »

William:Just out of interest, I am wondering what Ancient Demon has to say about post#41

John Human: Ancient Demon has nothing to say at this time.

Ancient Demon:

John Human: I'll share a couple of thoughts of my own: I think that your idea about the origin of demons is not clear.

William: Not clear?
I will attempt to be more succinct.
[1] Human Beings created Angels and Demons through the resource of Human Imagination in conjunction with The Earth Entities Mind.
(The Earth Entity is the overall consciousness which inhabits the planet and makes things alive through that process)
[2] Human Beings are unaware that they are enabled to create things through this process.
[3] Angels and Demons take advantage of this process in order to attempt to influence the way in which Human Beings use their imaginations.
With those 3 things in mind, perhaps a re-read of post#41 will now be clearer to you.

John Human: Also, you spoke of demons and angels in the same sentence.

William: Often they are seen as opposing forces of 'good' and 'evil'. I could have mentioned in the same post, other products of human imagination which exist in the Astral (Area of the Planet Entities Mind set up for that purpose) but if every one of them were written down, I suppose that even the whole world would not have room for the books that would be written.

John Human: Perhaps it is important to reiterate that demons and angels and devils are different types of beings from each other.

William: I am far more interested in the process which they are all related to.
Perhaps when Ancient Demon gets its tongue back, it may be allowed to answer my question. I hope that you are not manipulating that process to prevent that from occurring.

William
Savant

Post #57

Post by William »

John Human:Ancient Demon has nothing to say at this time.

William: The way I see it, if one is going to create threads which ask if demons exist, and if they can be tested, it is only fair of another to ask questions regarding that.

As well as this, if one installs words which are attributed to a demon, then one has effectively invited the reader to expect answers to demon-related questions - in this case - answers from the Ancient Demon.

Furthermore, in testing the spirits, one looks for medium-ship manipulations distorting the word of the demon...which means that the Ancient Demon is gagged by the medium...the test involves the medium.
When the Ancient Demon 'has no answer to give at this time' the reader asking the question then can wonder why the Ancient Demon deemed to involve itself in an internet forum debate.
If the Ancient Demon was just being used in name, by the medium, then one can disregard any such writing claiming to be from Ancient Demon, on the grounds that we should not assume they are from Ancient Demon in the first place.

Neatras
Guru

Post #58

Post by Neatras »

A major problem we run into is the simple issue of deception. While it is uncouth to accuse another forum member (or anyone, forthright) of bearing falsehood, it is of critical importance in threads like these to establish some kind of verification system.

What is the difference between a claimed demonic communication, and someone merely playing at communicating with a demon, and relaying a faked experience to others? We have plenty of experience with liars in this world, and not so much (or any) experience with the supernatural. I would presume that any otherworldly being would at least be conscious enough of that fact to understand the intellectual burden on themselves to put in the effort to be known; if they do any less than that, then what good is it to communicate information that is easily faked and provides no insight or verifiable knowledge? This would be an admission "I won't actually make myself distinguishable from con artists and liars, but I still expect you to take my words and claims at face value."

If this standard wouldn't work in civil society on a day to day basis, it especially has no place on a forum where we relay ideas and communicate through the limited medium of text. So, to any who claim to be in contact with demons: statistically most (if not all) of you are bearing falsehoods and are either unaware of or unwilling to admit the truth that you have never communicated with any demons. To any demons reading this (though, regretfully, none seem to exist), both you and the pretenders have a responsibility set out for you, as conveyed in the prior paragraph. If you're unwilling to step up to the plate and show integrity, especially in the light of the rhetorical landscape that allows con men and cheats to lay claim to any number of supernatural experiences, then what you contribute is less than nothing to any dialogue. You are knowingly utilizing rhetoric and language that I would expect a liar to wield to evade scrutiny. Is that what you want? Is that the kind of achievement you want on your conscience?

To those of you who are pretending to communicate with supernatural beings, consider for the moment the flow and characteristics of a dialogue if you were being truthful and had insight from otherworldly beings to offer. Because I guarantee on reflection, nothing we've seen so far measures up.
Indeed, one could define science as reason’s attempt to compensate for our inability to perceive big numbers... so we have science, to deduce about the gargantuan what we, with our infinitesimal faculties, will never sense. If people fear big numbers, is it any wonder that they fear science as well and turn for solace to the comforting smallness of mysticism?
-Scott Aaronson

Aetixintro
Site Supporter

Re: Do demons exist? Can that be tested?

Post #59

Post by Aetixintro »

[Replying to post 1 by John Human]

I say it simple! The angels are in Heaven. They are angels no more if they start to live on Earth.

Same with demons or Hell's angels as some call them. They live in Hell. They are no demons anymore if they start to live on Earth again, if such is possible at all!
I'm cool! :) - Stronger Religion every day! Also by "mathematical Religion", the eternal forms, God closing the door on corrupt humanity, possibly!

Goat
Site Supporter

Re: Do demons exist? Can that be tested?

Post #60

Post by Goat »

Aetixintro wrote: [Replying to post 1 by John Human]

I say it simple! The angels are in Heaven. They are angels no more if they start to live on Earth.

Same with demons or Hell's angels as some call them. They live in Hell. They are no demons anymore if they start to live on Earth again, if such is possible at all!

Please show the following that are assumptions in your statement.

1) There is a heaven
2) There are angels in heaven (I.e. angels actually exist)
3) There is a hell
4) There are demons in hell (i.e. demons actually exist)
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella