Do demons exist? Can that be tested?

Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

John Human
Scholar

Do demons exist? Can that be tested?

Post #1

Post by John Human »

When I lived in Bali, I couldn't help observing the pervasive evidence of belief in demons. And of course demons put in an appearance in the Bible, not to mention in the gargoyles of old cathedrals.

On the other hand, modern science would seem to categorically reject the existence of demons, without a clear reason why, unless it has to do with the axiomatic presuppositions of science's governing ideology of reductionist materialism.

Question: Do demons exist? What evidence is there, for or against?

--
"Love is a force in the universe." -- Interstellar

"God don't let me lose my nerve" -- "Put Your Lights On"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCBS5EtszYI

"Who shall save the human race?"
-- "Wild Goose Chase" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5L45toPpEv0

"A piece is gonna fall on you..."
-- "All You Zombies" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63O_cAclG3A[/i]

2ndpillar2
Sage

Re: Do demons exist? Can that be tested?

Post #231

Post by 2ndpillar2 »

Tcg wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:53 pm
2ndpillar2 wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:03 am
Being that the UN is a compatible atheistic organization,
I'm not sure exactly what is being asserted here. One definition for compatible is "capable of existing together in harmony." If you are suggesting that the U.N. and atheism are able to exist in harmony, then this is a very good thing. Just as the U.N. and theism being able to exist in harmony is a very good thing. If, however, you are claiming that the U.N. is an atheistic organization, then I'd need to see some verifiable evidence to accept that claim.

Of course, I'm not sure what the U.N. has to do with the ability or lack thereof to test for the existence of demons. Perhaps further explanation will clarify.

Tcg
There is no real Joey dictionary, which contains a false Joey definition. Just as Joey's definition is unreal, so is a UN ban of Joey's imaginary dictionary, which is kept solely in Joey's head, in which the UN is unaware. As for the UN being a godless organization, with Marxist/antitheistic tendencies, which include a push for the "Great Reset" (World Economic Forum), which inserts race in concert with the original Marxist (godless) class warfare and falsified science, to institutes its policies, of consolidating power and money in the hands of the elite, versus the peasants. But don't you worry, according to the World Economic Forum leadership, you will own nothing and be happy. That would be the culminating result of rejecting God, in the favor of the rule from the elites and their surrogates, ruled by the unclean spirits of demons, the devil, and the beast (Revelation 16). The existence of the unclean spirits of demons, is played out in the actions of the elites (leaders).

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #232

Post by JoeyKnothead »

2ndpillar2 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:48 am There is no real Joey dictionary,
Though I've not compiled a dictionary proper, I did previously encounter 2ndpillar2's personal (unattributed) definition, in Post 178...
2ndpillar2 wrote: demon definition: an evil spirit or devil, especially one thought to possess a person or act as a tormentor in hell.
To which I present the following definitions of my own, in Post 219...
JoeyKnothead wrote: Another definition...

Incapable of showing they speak truth: those who assert there's evil spirits and devils - and such can take "possession" of physical and / or animalian objects, only don't it beat all, they can't put em no truth to their claims.

Now we're stuck with another definition...

Liar: those who know danged well they can't put truth to their claims, but dangitall, they claim em anyway.
I trust the observer to decide whether they think my definitions're apt.
2ndpillar2 wrote: which contains a false Joey definition.
I trust the observer to decide if my above presented definitions ain't apt here as well.
2ndpillar2 wrote: Just as Joey's definition is unreal, so is a UN ban of Joey's imaginary dictionary, which is kept solely in Joey's head, in which the UN is unaware.
I refer folks to 2ndpilar2's Post 221...
2ndpillar2 wrote: I think the JoeyKnotHead dictionary was condemned by the woke UN for being raciest and without foundational propriety.
Where has 2ndpillar2 offered up one single shred of evidence regarding this UN condemnation?

I trust the observer'll decide if my definitions offered above are apt in this regard.
2ndpillar2 wrote: As for the UN being a godless organization, with Marxist/antitheistic tendencies, which include a push for the "Great Reset" (World Economic Forum), which inserts race in concert with the original Marxist (godless) class warfare and falsified science, to institutes its policies, of consolidating power and money in the hands of the elite, versus the peasants.
Presented by me for comedic relief. I merely request 2ndpillar2 present this UN condemnation of my proposed definitions, that we might all consider if they're apt to any argument 2ndpillar2 presents now, or in the future.
2ndpillar2 wrote: But don't you worry, according to the World Economic Forum leadership, you will own nothing and be happy.
I challenge 2ndpillar2 to present some form of confirmatory evidence for this claim.

I remind folks not to just hop on my above definitions here, until such time they've given up on 2ndpillar2 supporting this claim.
2ndpillar2 wrote: That would be the culminating result of rejecting God,
I note that threats of all manner come from not only humans, but theists, and their favored, unshown to exist gods.

Do my presented definitions apply to this claim as well?
2ndpillar2 wrote: in the favor of the rule from the elites and their surrogates, ruled by the unclean spirits of demons, the devil, and the beast (Revelation 16). The existence of the unclean spirits of demons, is played out in the actions of the elites (leaders).
I challenge 2ndpillar2 to provide some means to confirm the following as fact...

1- There's spirits
2- There's demons
3- They lack a proper bathing regimen
4- There's a devil
5- Let's toss out "the beast" on it's vagueness alone
6- The existence of 1 & 2 above is played out in the actions of the elites (leaders).

Will my above referenced definitions apply here as well? Time'll tell.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #233

Post by JoeyKnothead »

mgb wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:36 am I disagree. The existence of spiritual reality is the best explanation we have for the world. It is the world view that is most congruent with the facts we observe.
Please present supporting argumentation, or other pertinent data for analysis.
mgb wrote: Materialism fall way short because it cannot explain ontological reality, except by way of materialist dogma and materialistic articles of faith.
False dichotomy.

The existence of reality is the best explanation we have for the world. It is the world view that is most congruent with the facts we observe.
-Punkinhead Martin

Tcg
Savant

Post #234

Post by Tcg »

2ndpillar2 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:48 am
Tcg wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:53 pm
2ndpillar2 wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:03 am
Being that the UN is a compatible atheistic organization,
I'm not sure exactly what is being asserted here. One definition for compatible is "capable of existing together in harmony." If you are suggesting that the U.N. and atheism are able to exist in harmony, then this is a very good thing. Just as the U.N. and theism being able to exist in harmony is a very good thing. If, however, you are claiming that the U.N. is an atheistic organization, then I'd need to see some verifiable evidence to accept that claim.

Of course, I'm not sure what the U.N. has to do with the ability or lack thereof to test for the existence of demons. Perhaps further explanation will clarify.

Tcg
There is no real Joey dictionary, which contains a false Joey definition. Just as Joey's definition is unreal, so is a UN ban of Joey's imaginary dictionary, which is kept solely in Joey's head, in which the UN is unaware. As for the UN being a godless organization, with Marxist/antitheistic tendencies, which include a push for the "Great Reset" (World Economic Forum), which inserts race in concert with the original Marxist (godless) class warfare and falsified science, to institutes its policies, of consolidating power and money in the hands of the elite, versus the peasants. But don't you worry, according to the World Economic Forum leadership, you will own nothing and be happy. That would be the culminating result of rejecting God, in the favor of the rule from the elites and their surrogates, ruled by the unclean spirits of demons, the devil, and the beast (Revelation 16).
That's a whole bunch of unsupported claims and some very confusing statements about Joey's dictionary and the U.N. The last apparently being based on the Bible which as has been pointed out before isn't considered authoritative in this sub-forum

The existence of the unclean spirits of demons, is played out in the actions of the elites (leaders).
This brings us right back to the topic at hand. How can this claim be supported? In what way can we test for the existence of demons?

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Tcg
Savant

Post #235

Post by Tcg »

mgb wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:36 am
Tcg wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:42 am
mgb wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:27 pm It is the spirit that is controlled. But this control will be manifest in the body.
What is manifest is the total lack of verifiable evidence to support this claim. Heck, there isn't any attempt to support this claim other than a blind assertion.
Tcg
I disagree. The existence of spiritual reality is the best explanation we have for the world. It is the world view that is most congruent with the facts we observe. Materialism fall way short because it cannot explain ontological reality, except by way of materialist dogma and materialistic articles of faith.
Your disagreement is rather odd given that you've presented no evidence, verifiable or otherwise, of "spiritual reality." Additionally, the body isn't even addressed which of course is a key component in the claim. At this point we are indeed left with a total lack of verifiable evidence to support the claim in question.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #236

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Tcg wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:40 pm ...

The existence of the unclean spirits of demons, is played out in the actions of the elites (leaders).
This brings us right back to the topic at hand. How can this claim be supported? In what way can we test for the existence of demons?
I haven't fully sifted through all the data, however, early indications are that demons might just have a proclivity for proffering claims they can't support.

I caution anyone from drawing any firm conclusions here, until we've gathered about two more posts.
-Punkinhead Martin

2ndpillar2
Sage

Post #237

Post by 2ndpillar2 »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:22 am
2ndpillar2 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:48 am There is no real Joey dictionary,
Though I've not compiled a dictionary proper, I did previously encounter 2ndpillar2's personal (unattributed) definition, in Post 178...
2ndpillar2 wrote: demon definition: an evil spirit or devil, especially one thought to possess a person or act as a tormentor in hell.
To which I present the following definitions of my own, in Post 219...
JoeyKnothead wrote: Another definition...

Incapable of showing they speak truth: those who assert there's evil spirits and devils - and such can take "possession" of physical and / or animalian objects, only don't it beat all, they can't put em no truth to their claims.

Now we're stuck with another definition...

Liar: those who know danged well they can't put truth to their claims, but dangitall, they claim em anyway.
I trust the observer to decide whether they think my definitions're apt.
2ndpillar2 wrote: which contains a false Joey definition.
I trust the observer to decide if my above presented definitions ain't apt here as well.
2ndpillar2 wrote: Just as Joey's definition is unreal, so is a UN ban of Joey's imaginary dictionary, which is kept solely in Joey's head, in which the UN is unaware.
I refer folks to 2ndpilar2's Post 221...
2ndpillar2 wrote: I think the JoeyKnotHead dictionary was condemned by the woke UN for being raciest and without foundational propriety.
Where has 2ndpillar2 offered up one single shred of evidence regarding this UN condemnation?

I trust the observer'll decide if my definitions offered above are apt in this regard.
2ndpillar2 wrote: As for the UN being a godless organization, with Marxist/antitheistic tendencies, which include a push for the "Great Reset" (World Economic Forum), which inserts race in concert with the original Marxist (godless) class warfare and falsified science, to institutes its policies, of consolidating power and money in the hands of the elite, versus the peasants.
Presented by me for comedic relief. I merely request 2ndpillar2 present this UN condemnation of my proposed definitions, that we might all consider if they're apt to any argument 2ndpillar2 presents now, or in the future.
2ndpillar2 wrote: But don't you worry, according to the World Economic Forum leadership, you will own nothing and be happy.
I challenge 2ndpillar2 to present some form of confirmatory evidence for this claim.

I remind folks not to just hop on my above definitions here, until such time they've given up on 2ndpillar2 supporting this claim.
2ndpillar2 wrote: That would be the culminating result of rejecting God,
I note that threats of all manner come from not only humans, but theists, and their favored, unshown to exist gods.

Do my presented definitions apply to this claim as well?
2ndpillar2 wrote: in the favor of the rule from the elites and their surrogates, ruled by the unclean spirits of demons, the devil, and the beast (Revelation 16). The existence of the unclean spirits of demons, is played out in the actions of the elites (leaders).
I challenge 2ndpillar2 to provide some means to confirm the following as fact...

1- There's spirits
2- There's demons
3- They lack a proper bathing regimen
4- There's a devil
5- Let's toss out "the beast" on it's vagueness alone
6- The existence of 1 & 2 above is played out in the actions of the elites (leaders).

Will my above referenced definitions apply here as well? Time'll tell.
As for the World Economic Council saying you will own nothing and be happy, go to: https://globaleconomicforum.org/2021/09 ... eat-reset/

As for the beasts being vague, they are the most concrete, for the beasts represents ruling kings. The book of Revelation being written during the reign of the 6th leadership, the Augustus Caesars (Revelation 17:9). The 5th king being Julius Caesar. We are now in the era of the 8th head of the beast, which has 10 horns/kings, who will co rule, and that beast is the beast that was, and that beast was the emperor (dictator), Julius Caesar, by virtue of his unclean spirit (Revelation 16). The dictatorial bent of Caesar is being played out by world leaders. If the leaders are lying, then that is because the father of lies, the devil, is their father, and the source of their authority (Revelation 13:4).

brunumb
Savant

Post #238

Post by brunumb »

mgb wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:36 am
Tcg wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:42 am
mgb wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:27 pm It is the spirit that is controlled. But this control will be manifest in the body.
What is manifest is the total lack of verifiable evidence to support this claim. Heck, there isn't any attempt to support this claim other than a blind assertion.
Tcg
I disagree. The existence of spiritual reality is the best explanation we have for the world. It is the world view that is most congruent with the facts we observe. Materialism fall way short because it cannot explain ontological reality, except by way of materialist dogma and materialistic articles of faith.
I give thanks to the millions of people who have applied the scientific method to help us see the world as it really is, rather than the few anonymous people writing long ago in fear of nature and ignorance of the world in which they found themselves. Spiritual reality is an oxymoron which, at best, describes nothing more than a fantasy world for those with vivid imaginations to escape into.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #239

Post by JoeyKnothead »

From Post 237:
2ndpillar2 wrote: As for the World Economic Council saying you will own nothing and be happy, go to: https://globaleconomicforum.org/2021/09 ... eat-reset/
The observer'll be left to wonder if Russell Brand's to be trusted in this matter. Or if my two previously provided definitions might best fit what's on display here.

I'm a bit confused. We have reference to the World Economic Council, for which a quick googlation - https://www.google.com/search?q=world+e ... 8&oe=utf-8 - returns links to a World Economic Forum…

...yet the provided link goes to the Global Economic Forum.

On their landing page: http://globaleconomicforum.org they have a bit of a mission statement…
The Global Economic Forum launches to take on the corrupted World Economic Forum to oppose the totalitarian economic reset.
Scanning further down that page, we see…
Global Economic Forum was founded… to compete against the World Economic Forum that's pushing… the Covid fraud and its deadly agendas.
The observer is further left to ponder the accuracy or veracity of any conclusions that bunch might present.

But hey, at least we got something by way of support.

Back to our regularly scheduled post 237…
2ndpillar2 wrote: As for the beasts being vague, they are the most concrete, for the beasts represents ruling kings.
So then, the beasts simply avatars for humans. I would concur that some humans can seem em quite beastly here and there.
2ndpillar2 wrote: The book of Revelation being written during the reign of the 6th leadership, the Augustus Caesars (Revelation 17:9). The 5th king being Julius Caesar. We are now in the era of the 8th head of the beast, which has 10 horns/kings, who will co rule, and that beast is the beast that was, and that beast was the emperor (dictator), Julius Caesar, by virtue of his unclean spirit (Revelation 16). The dictatorial bent of Caesar is being played out by world leaders. If the leaders are lying, then that is because the father of lies, the devil, is their father, and the source of their authority (Revelation 13:4).
I'll just leave that there as evidence that all 2ndpillar2 can present in support is merely referencing the book making the claims in support of the claims it is, the book is making.

Sorry observer, you're left to your own devices in considering whether one or both of my two previously presented definitions are apt in this regard.

As for me, I don't find Russell Brand to be an authority in anything except the cocaine and such, and that only on the level of a self-confessed recovering addict. As to that whole bible deal, "See, it's true, this book says so" is as goofy a notion as thinking Russell Brand's some kind of authority on matters affecting the entire planet.

What's next, Russell Brand's gonna get crucified and then hop up after three days?
-Punkinhead Martin

2ndpillar2
Sage

Post #240

Post by 2ndpillar2 »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:32 pm From Post 237:
2ndpillar2 wrote: As for the World Economic Council saying you will own nothing and be happy, go to: https://globaleconomicforum.org/2021/09 ... eat-reset/
The observer'll be left to wonder if Russell Brand's to be trusted in this matter. Or if my two previously provided definitions might best fit what's on display here.

I'm a bit confused. We have reference to the World Economic Council, for which a quick googlation - https://www.google.com/search?q=world+e ... 8&oe=utf-8 - returns links to a World Economic Forum…

...yet the provided link goes to the Global Economic Forum.

On their landing page: http://globaleconomicforum.org they have a bit of a mission statement…
The Global Economic Forum launches to take on the corrupted World Economic Forum to oppose the totalitarian economic reset.
Scanning further down that page, we see…
Global Economic Forum was founded… to compete against the World Economic Forum that's pushing… the Covid fraud and its deadly agendas.
The observer is further left to ponder the accuracy or veracity of any conclusions that bunch might present.

But hey, at least we got something by way of support.

Back to our regularly scheduled post 237…
2ndpillar2 wrote: As for the beasts being vague, they are the most concrete, for the beasts represents ruling kings.
So then, the beasts simply avatars for humans. I would concur that some humans can seem em quite beastly here and there.
2ndpillar2 wrote: The book of Revelation being written during the reign of the 6th leadership, the Augustus Caesars (Revelation 17:9). The 5th king being Julius Caesar. We are now in the era of the 8th head of the beast, which has 10 horns/kings, who will co rule, and that beast is the beast that was, and that beast was the emperor (dictator), Julius Caesar, by virtue of his unclean spirit (Revelation 16). The dictatorial bent of Caesar is being played out by world leaders. If the leaders are lying, then that is because the father of lies, the devil, is their father, and the source of their authority (Revelation 13:4).
I'll just leave that there as evidence that all 2ndpillar2 can present in support is merely referencing the book making the claims in support of the claims it is, the book is making.

Sorry observer, you're left to your own devices in considering whether one or both of my two previously presented definitions are apt in this regard.

As for me, I don't find Russell Brand to be an authority in anything except the cocaine and such, and that only on the level of a self-confessed recovering addict. As to that whole bible deal, "See, it's true, this book says so" is as goofy a notion as thinking Russell Brand's some kind of authority on matters affecting the entire planet.

What's next, Russell Brand's gonna get crucified and then hop up after three days?
The German, Klaus Schwab is the Founder and Executive Chairman of the World Economic Forum, the International Organization for Public-Private Cooperation, in the realm of Hitler's National Socialist party. He is the mastermind behind the World Economic Forum that organizes the well-known Davos Summit. Their partners are China, Bill Gates, big banks, Google, Facebook, vaccine providers, etc.
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=vi ... ORM=VDRVRV